DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/197018-ageism-dentistry-something-i-forgot-mention.html)

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE April 4th 07 10:27 AM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

Hello again.

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was to
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people (I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

Duracell Bunny April 4th 07 10:41 AM

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Hello again.

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was to
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people (I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

Well, as this is a DIY group, try araldite & a bit of iron filings :)

And brush the filling daily with wet & dry, 1200 grit to keep it shiny & rust free.

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird

Mike April 4th 07 12:07 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote:

Hello again.

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was to
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people (I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

In what way is £40 paid by a 71-year old worth less than £40 paid by a
21-year old?

John Rumm April 4th 07 02:07 PM

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was to
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people (I'm
71). Am I right?

Quite the reverse I would have thought. The "grey pound" is a market
that many businesses are keen to tap - often more disposable income
often accompanied with an attitude of "the price asked is the price you
pay". If it were an NHS practice then there may be a desire to shed the
patients requiring the more complex care, but that does not sound like
it is the case here.

--
Cheers,

John.

fred April 4th 07 05:06 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

In article ,
John Rumm writes
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was to
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people (I'm
71). Am I right?

Quite the reverse I would have thought. The "grey pound" is a market
that many businesses are keen to tap - often more disposable income
often accompanied with an attitude of "the price asked is the price you
pay".

You'd think so but the potential cash is frequently guarded in a purse with
an armoured clasp and teasing it free can require listening to hours of drivel
on how tiring it is to go shopping and how bowel movements are either too
firm or too loose etc. It seems much easier to target the other coloured
and shaded pounds if you're in search of the quicker buck.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE April 4th 07 06:26 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

"mike" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote:

Hello again.

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people
(I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

In what way is £40 paid by a 71-year old worth less than £40 paid by a
21-year old?

You've got me there. Make it £70.00.
P.S. British dentists are the most expensive in Europe.

Sylvain.

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE April 4th 07 06:44 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was
to encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people
(I'm 71). Am I right?

Quite the reverse I would have thought. The "grey pound" is a market that
many businesses are keen to tap - often more disposable income often
accompanied with an attitude of "the price asked is the price you pay". If
it were an NHS practice then there may be a desire to shed the patients
requiring the more complex care, but that does not sound like it is the
case here.

--
Cheers,

Thanks for your comments.

Sylvain.

John.

Dave April 4th 07 08:34 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

mike wrote:

In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote:

Hello again.

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was to
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people (I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

In what way is £40 paid by a 71-year old worth less than £40 paid by a
21-year old?

I can't see why you asked this question

Dave

raden April 4th 07 09:09 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

In message , Sylvain VAN DER WALDE
writes
(I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

Were you born in 1936 ?

--
geoff

raden April 4th 07 09:15 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

In message , Sylvain VAN DER
WALDE writes

"mike" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote:

Hello again.

I should have added that I believe that the intention of the dentists was
encourage me (force me?) to leave, and go elsewhere.
I assume that it's not in their financial interest to treat old people
(I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

In what way is £40 paid by a 71-year old worth less than £40 paid by a
21-year old?

You've got me there. Make it £70.00.
P.S. British dentists are the most expensive in Europe.

I really don't think so

You have to go a long way to beat the German money grabbing *******s
--
geoff

Mike April 4th 07 11:23 PM

Ageism in dentistry: Something I forgot to mention

In article , raden
wrote:

In message , Sylvain VAN DER WALDE
writes
(I'm
71). Am I right?

Sylvain.

Were you born in 1936 ?

ROTFLMAO!

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE April 5th 07 10:41 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Sylvain VAN DER WALDE
writes
(I'm