DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   rusty bolts (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/196926-rusty-bolts.html)

[email protected] April 3rd 07 03:25 PM

rusty bolts

HI from Sunny South Africa
My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal
garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty
nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried
hammering with force and oil - nothing helps.
Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a
small place to get into)

Robert Laws April 3rd 07 03:30 PM

rusty bolts

On Apr 3, 3:25 pm, wrote:
HI from Sunny South Africa
My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal
garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty
nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried
hammering with force and oil - nothing helps.
Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a
small place to get into)

You can get a 'nut splitter' which you tighten onto the nut and crack
it in two.

Robert

Dave Fawthrop April 3rd 07 03:40 PM

rusty bolts

On 3 Apr 2007 07:25:38 -0700, wrote:

|!HI from Sunny South Africa
|!My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal
|!garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty
|!nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried
|!hammering with force and oil - nothing helps.
|!Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a
|!small place to get into)

Small angle grinder would take the nuts off completely. Take care not to
damage the bench too much.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

adder1969 April 3rd 07 03:55 PM

rusty bolts

On Apr 3, 3:25 pm, wrote:
HI from Sunny South Africa
My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal
garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty
nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried
hammering with force and oil - nothing helps.
Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a
small place to get into)

Drill them out, either into the bolt part or the side of the nut.

[email protected] April 3rd 07 08:50 PM

rusty bolts

On 3 Apr, 15:55, "adder1969" wrote:
On Apr 3, 3:25 pm, wrote:

HI from Sunny South Africa
My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal
garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty
nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried
hammering with force and oil - nothing helps.
Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a
small place to get into)

Drill them out, either into the bolt part or the side of the nut.

Probably the bolts have very shallow heads, so drilling the head off
would be quickest. Or 2nd quickest, angle grinder is the quick easy
way.

50/50 oil/paraffin lasts a lot better than paint, is easier to apply
and cheaper.
More he
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Preservatives

NT