DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Choosing a new lav (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/196334-choosing-new-lav.html)

Clive March 27th 07 02:17 PM

Choosing a new lav

Hi,

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance
of the device and precious little information on the rather more
important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I
guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat
the best "flusher" on the market.

Thanks

Clive

Dave Fawthrop March 27th 07 03:38 PM

Choosing a new lav

On 27 Mar 2007 06:17:32 -0700, "Clive" wrote:

|!Hi,
|!
|! When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
|!toilet is a good "flusher"?

You can not buy a good flusher nowadays, the specification has changed due
the water saving requirements. Could you buy a second hand one with a 2 1/2
gallon *high* tank like they used to be? Not sure if fitting a 2 1/2
gallon tank is legal any more.

|!I'd rather have some recommendations than
|!chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance
|!of the device and precious little information on the rather more
|!important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I
|!guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat
|!the best "flusher" on the market.

The soil pipe arrangement is *crucial*, I changed mine from iron to plastic
and got a great improvement, even with a modern low volume tank.

--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Peter Johnson March 27th 07 03:46 PM

Choosing a new lav

On 27 Mar 2007 06:17:32 -0700, "Clive" wrote:

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance
of the device and precious little information on the rather more
important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I
guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat
the best "flusher" on the market.

Very satisfied with my Roca Laura after three years, very rarely have
cause to flush more than once. (Push button control, too.)

John Rumm March 28th 07 12:48 AM

Choosing a new lav

Clive wrote:

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance

B&Q "Blanco", flushes really well, but has an odd design with the water
trap toward the front rather than the back of the bowl. So it places
porcelain in the landing zone rather than water - hence guaranteed skid
marks!

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall March 28th 07 04:51 AM

Choosing a new lav

On 2007-03-28 00:48:41 +0100, John Rumm said:

Clive wrote:

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance

B&Q "Blanco", flushes really well, but has an odd design with the water
trap toward the front rather than the back of the bowl. So it places
porcelain in the landing zone rather than water - hence guaranteed skid
marks!

More roughage needed.....

Roger R March 28th 07 12:52 PM

Choosing a new lav

"Clive" wrote in message
ups.com...
When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance
of the device and precious little information on the rather more
important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I
guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat
the best "flusher" on the market.

So there is some else out there who cares about this aspect of current
sanitary ware marketing.
Perhaps the following anecdote may be of interest.

An ongoing toilet replacement project involved the removal of a low level
close coupled Twyford S trap suite (the type where the outlet turns down
into a pipe in the floor). A good flush had always been obtained and on
removal both the pan outlet and plastic pipe were perfectly clean. Looking
in the outlet end of the pan there was a perfectly smooth glazed circular
path from bowl to outlet. The outside shape of the rear of the pan mirrored
the shape and path of the outlet.

Touring the various sheds and bathroom showrooms it occurred to me to look
into the outlet of the pans on show. The displays clearly did not intended
this aspect to be examined, and it was not always possible. I was shocked
to find that for modern designs with parallel easy clean sides, and some
others too, the path from bowl to outlet was not at all the smooth circular
'tube' found on the old unit, in most cases the bowl opened into a large
unglazed awkward shaped cavity with recessed deep corners before closing
again to form the circular outlet. A recipe for blockages?

A picture of the old pan and a couple of shots looking into the outlet pipe
of some new pans as described below:
http://www.bluestar.65704.btinternet.co.uk/

I am sure 99.9 % of users neither know nor care about the outlet path of
their new pans, only being concerned about the appearance of the finished
bathroom. Another triumph of style over practicality.

I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

Roger R

Paul R March 29th 07 01:58 PM

Choosing a new lav

Clive wrote:
Hi,

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance
of the device and precious little information on the rather more
important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I
guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat
the best "flusher" on the market.

Thanks

Clive

When I replaced my WC about two years ago, I purchased a Roca Laura unit
for about £130 with dual flush. It is absolutely superb - I love the
half and full flush option - and it really does flush well, never a
single problem - much better than the old diaphram type lever high
volume loo it replaced.

Paul R

Andrew Gabriel March 29th 07 08:59 PM

Choosing a new lav

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Clive wrote:

When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance

B&Q "Blanco", flushes really well, but has an odd design with the water

I bought a bog-standard cheap B&Q close coupled about 5 years ago.
Can't recall the name, but it turned out to be Royal Dalton when
I got it out of the packaging. In spite of being only a 6 litre
flush, I don't think it's even needed flushing twice.
No complaints at all, except the matching plastic seat was crap,
so I took that back and bought a solid beach one in Homebase
which matches well the rest of the bathroom.

--
Andrew Gabriel