Jon Weaver

Default How thick can floor tile adhesive be?

My screed floor looks flat, but its certainly not.

Comparing the high and low points, there is upto 10mm difference in
height.

I was originally going to put some self leveling down, but my
neighbour (who is a tiler) talked me out of it. Instead, he said that
I could vary the thickness of the adhesive to level the floor.

Is this suggestion OK? If so, whats the maximum thickness of adhesive
that I can lay?

Jon
BillR

Jon Weaver wrote:
My screed floor looks flat, but its certainly not.

Comparing the high and low points, there is upto 10mm difference in
height.

I was originally going to put some self leveling down, but my
neighbour (who is a tiler) talked me out of it. Instead, he said that
I could vary the thickness of the adhesive to level the floor.

Is this suggestion OK? If so, whats the maximum thickness of adhesive
that I can lay?

Jon

You can take up quite a bit of irregularity with flooring adhesive that you
mix from dry powder, because its cement based. However, 10mm sounds a lot
unless its just the odd void that you could splodge in more adhesive.
If its a slope or change of level of 10mm between two side of the room I
would suggest this could be quite tricky for a DIYer to compensate for esp.
if you haven't laid floor tiles before.

Jon Weaver

[...]

This morning I have layed 24 of 100 tiles, and was pleased with the
results.. In laying them, I have realised how un-even the floor is,
but feel that I am doing a good job at leveling it with the adhesive,
by putting it on the floor AND 'buttering' the back of the tiles where
needed.

Its taking time, but I am getting there.. I would say that 70% of the
floor is at the correct level and the other 30% are 'patches' where
the floor us no more that 10mm lower (probably a lot less).

In one corner I am having to build up the level a lot more than
anywhere else, but it seems to be going OK.

I guess the true test will be when its finished and I start walking on
it.. If the tiles start to shift, then I guess I am in trouble.

I don't know if this will make it stronger, but I am raking out all of
hte adhesive from between the tiles, so that I can get a good load of
grout between then when I grout the tiles at the end...

My fingers are crossed!
The Natural Philosopher

Jon Weaver wrote:

[...]

That is a very good idea. Powder grout will actially glue them down as
well, as will huge quantities of PVA poured down the cracks Useful
technique if any tiles break loose.

A tle that is fully supported at its edges will not rock and break
loose. Grout can do that.

My fingers are crossed!