Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HELP!!! will I die from asbestos exposure?

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled it,
laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no
problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death with
there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar, 21:23, "keith_765" wrote:
"Marc" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled it,
laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no
problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death with
there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

Thanks Keith,

Having looked on a few websites it does seem that risk through
exposure to 'asbestos cement' is a liitle overhyped. Nothing i can do
about it now anyway! i did think to myself that thousands of people
around the world must have done a similar thing and they cant all be
dead

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"keith_765" wrote in message

"Marc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled
it,
laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no
problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death
with
there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

It's probably white asbestos - in which case no real problem. If blue or
another kind there could be a risk - but most of us have been in intimate
contact with asbestos anyway by various routes down the years. You only live
twice and you only die once!

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar 2007 13:08:10 -0800, "Marc" wrote:

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Asbestos was an extremely common building material in the 1950s. The
house I grew up in had drain pipes and soffit boards made of it and,
even the kitchen work-tops made of some kind of asbestos compound!

I've always wondered how much of a danger that posed to my health. But
I've made it to 50+ without a hitch...

Hank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marc" wrote in news:1172956090.308352.102630
@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

You're DOOMED, I say DOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are gathered here today ...............

Sorry :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:23:12 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled it,
laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no
problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death with
there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it,
drilled it, laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for
chest x-rays, no problems clear. Now there will be other who will
frighten you to death with there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

I take it you're expecting to go somewhere warm? ;-))

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry W." wrote in message
.. .
"Marc" wrote in news:1172956090.308352.102630
@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

You're DOOMED, I say DOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are gathered here today ...............

Sorry :-)

Brilliant, Now that's what I call a sense of humour

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it,
drilled it, laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for
chest x-rays, no problems clear. Now there will be other who will
frighten you to death with there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

I take it you're expecting to go somewhere warm? ;-))

The crematorium?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled it,
laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no
problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death with
there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

We'll do asbestos we can to find you one....

Do you want the kind that kills all known worms?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it, drilled it,
laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for chest x-rays, no
problems clear. Now there will be other who will frighten you to death with
there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

We'll do asbestos we can to find you one....

Do you want the kind that kills all known worms?

That's Domestos, not asbestos.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Marc
writes
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

You have about 30 seconds to make your last will and testament

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, Marc
writes
On 3 Mar, 21:23, "keith_765" wrote:
"Marc" wrote in message

[...]

Get real

there are numerous backposts where I drone on and on about being
underneath an asbestos drilled roof

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from "Marc" contains these words:

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Unless you used an industrial vacuum, you've spread the asbestos
particles everywhere...

Those poor Jovians are cursing right now

wenka

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marc wrote:
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

Marc

The main risk is dying from fright.

Or possibly being prosecuted by the council.

Other than that there is no risk at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

The guy at my local dump throws a real wobbly if you go with asbestos, I'm
curious to know what you are going to with it eventually, bury it perhaps?
seems to be the traditional remedy :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Course you'll die !! But I doubt from Asbestos, I've sawn it,
drilled it, laid it on roofs and even cut it with a disc. Been for
chest x-rays, no problems clear. Now there will be other who will
frighten you to death with there replies, you'll see.
Any particularly flowers you would like when it happens?

I'd settle for an asbestos coffin.

DG

I take it you're expecting to go somewhere warm? ;-))

The crematorium?

No, I've a feeling they'd charge extra.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We'll do asbestos we can to find you one....

Do you want the kind that kills all known worms?

Can't guarantee that, but with me safe in my asbestos coffin I was
hoping on the outside I'd get "A set o' lean worms".

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marc" wrote in message
ups.com...

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to?

Others have answered that, and the rational view seems to be "minimal"

ive hovered the loft

That's a bit unfortunate, as the dust will be spread around. A
reasonable precaution now might be to throw away the vacuum cleaner bag
and any other disposable filters it may have, and wipe its insides down
with a damp cloth that you then throw away. In theory, you should
perhaps dispose of any clothes you were wearing that were exposed to a
lot of dust, but a compromise would be to wash them all, with no other
stuff in the washing machine. Theory states that fibres may remain in
the washing machine.

and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

as it is at the bottom of many people's gardens, I imagine.

Check your, and neighbouring, local authorities' asbestos policies.
Some treat it as rather more dangerous than plutonium, others will let
you tip it if you double-wrap and label it, and one or two will even
collect it free. You shouldn't need to pay a private tip for that
quantity.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 10:04, "Scabbydug" wrote:
"Marc" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

The guy at my local dump throws a real wobbly if you go with asbestos, I'm
curious to know what you are going to with it eventually, bury it perhaps?
seems to be the traditional remedy :-)

No my local dump just took it. I think as long as it is bagged and
sealed though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"Marc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

The guy at my local dump throws a real wobbly if you go with asbestos, I'm
curious to know what you are going to with it eventually, bury it perhaps?
seems to be the traditional remedy :-)

What did I say about other posters, Are you regretting it yet ?. Don't
worry. The medical profession will know what to give you to treat the pain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 16:34, "keith_765" wrote:
"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"Marc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

The guy at my local dump throws a real wobbly if you go with asbestos, I'm
curious to know what you are going to with it eventually, bury it perhaps?
seems to be the traditional remedy :-)

What did I say about other posters, Are you regretting it yet ?. Don't
worry. The medical profession will know what to give you to treat the pain.

well thanks all for the mant replies....I am now an asbestos expert!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Marc wrote:
The guy at my local dump throws a real wobbly if you go with asbestos,
I'm curious to know what you are going to with it eventually, bury it
perhaps? seems to be the traditional remedy :-)

No my local dump just took it. I think as long as it is bagged and
sealed though.

The council will happily take asbestos in wheeliebins, if you wrap it up
well in some dirty nappies and hide it near the bottom.

Owain

Along with the squidged up fluorescent tubes and rechargeable batteries

Tunbridge Wells have a permenant asbestos skip at the North Farm dump - it
simply sports at sign about seeing staff before using, presumably to know
the bagging procedure etc...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to?

ive hovered the loft

So is the loft still hovering is it now back in place?

and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Did you take it down to the dump and then bring it back home!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Marc wrote:
Hi,

Today i smashed up the old water tank in my loft and took it down the
dump. I then found it was Asbestos!!. Does anyone know what are the
risks ive been exposed to? ive hovered the loft and at the moment the
asbestos is at the bottom of my garden.

Thanks

What did I say about other posters, Are you regretting it yet ?. Don't
worry. The medical profession will know what to give you to treat the pain.

well thanks all for the mant replies....I am now an asbestos expert!

Cue for a flaming to check that assertion, methinks.
;-)