DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are we over-regulated? Paralyzed by beurocracy... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/193379-we-over-regulated-paralyzed-beurocracy.html)

Dave H February 26th 07 04:22 PM

Are we over-regulated? Paralyzed by beurocracy...

Any kind of property development seems to be a minefield of hidden and
ususpected regulation, here in the UK. Could I be forgiven for feeling
utterly paralyzed for fear of making a wrong move, or finding out too
late that I have made a wrong move? Are we way-over-regulated?

Dave H

Stuart Noble February 26th 07 04:41 PM

Dave H wrote:
Any kind of property development seems to be a minefield of hidden and
ususpected regulation, here in the UK. Could I be forgiven for feeling
utterly paralyzed for fear of making a wrong move, or finding out too
late that I have made a wrong move? Are we way-over-regulated?

Dave H

The regulations usually make sense, it's the implementation that's such
a muddle. Most people stick two fingers up and carry on as before, which
is a reasonable response to badly planned legislation

Phil L February 26th 07 09:01 PM

Dave H wrote:
Any kind of property development seems to be a minefield of hidden and
ususpected regulation, here in the UK. Could I be forgiven for feeling
utterly paralyzed for fear of making a wrong move, or finding out too
late that I have made a wrong move? Are we way-over-regulated?

Dave H

No we are not - only the gullible are led to believe this is the case,
probably as a deterrent - anyone witth a bit of common sense knows where the
line is drawn and this applies to 'both sides of the coin' - BCO's are *not*
beligerent ogres who refuse to deviate from 'the rules' - rules are often
bent beyond recognition or plainly ignored by all concerned if there is no
alternative, likewise they aren't too interseted in part P or Fensa certs
neither, but estate agents are.

TheOldFellow February 27th 07 10:12 AM

Dave H wrote:
Any kind of property development seems to be a minefield of hidden and
ususpected regulation, here in the UK. Could I be forgiven for feeling
utterly paralyzed for fear of making a wrong move, or finding out too
late that I have made a wrong move? Are we way-over-regulated?

Dave H

I'm not sure if it's lawful to comment on this. And I don't know where
to apply for permission to, either. Maybe I should just self-certify?
R.

Steve Firth February 27th 07 10:52 AM

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:01:50 GMT, Phil L wrote:

BCO's are *not* beligerent ogres who refuse to deviate from 'the rules'

You must meet different BCOs to the ones we have.

Phil L February 27th 07 10:36 PM

Steve Firth wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:01:50 GMT, Phil L wrote:

BCO's are *not* beligerent ogres who refuse to deviate from 'the
rules'

You must meet different BCOs to the ones we have.

I've never met one in 20 years that wasn't prepared to listen to reason -
obviously if he thinks you are trying to cheat, he'll put his foot down, but
if you look at the post about the numpty who dug an 'olympic swimming pool'
sized hole so that he could build a shed, you soon realise that regulation
is there to protect, not to hinder.