Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining stair runner to fitted carpet

Hi,

We are currently refurbishing a cottage and are getting close to
completing upstairs and are at the stage of choosing carpets etc.

We want a fitted carpet upstairs - it is *just* possible to have a
single piece of carpet for the entire upstairs - 3 rooms + landing (it's
not a massive house!) so we would have a joinless carpet throughout.
But, for the stairs we are considering a runner/stair rods. Question is,
has anyone done this successfully and if so how do you do the join
between the runner and the fitted landing carpet?

Does the landing carpet run over the "nose" of the top step and then the
runner begins?

Does the runner continue up into the landing by a few inches with a
threshold strip?

If anyone's done this would appreciate knowing how it's done and if they
have any photos of the finished product.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:28:10 +0000, Andy Kirkland
mused:

Hi,

We are currently refurbishing a cottage and are getting close to
completing upstairs and are at the stage of choosing carpets etc.

We want a fitted carpet upstairs - it is *just* possible to have a
single piece of carpet for the entire upstairs - 3 rooms + landing (it's
not a massive house!) so we would have a joinless carpet throughout.

If you get a decent carpet fitter then you can get them to join a
carpet almost invisibly (carpet fitters I know of have joined carpets
of a light colour and the join is invisible unless you really look
closely\know where it is)
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:28:10 +0000, Andy Kirkland
mused:

Hi,

We are currently refurbishing a cottage and are getting close to
completing upstairs and are at the stage of choosing carpets etc.

We want a fitted carpet upstairs - it is *just* possible to have a
single piece of carpet for the entire upstairs - 3 rooms + landing (it's
not a massive house!) so we would have a joinless carpet throughout.

If you get a decent carpet fitter then you can get them to join a
carpet almost invisibly (carpet fitters I know of have joined carpets
of a light colour and the join is invisible unless you really look
closely\know where it is)

definitely a g-s-i job
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:28:10 +0000, Andy Kirkland
mused:

Hi,

We are currently refurbishing a cottage and are getting close to
completing upstairs and are at the stage of choosing carpets etc.

We want a fitted carpet upstairs - it is *just* possible to have a
single piece of carpet for the entire upstairs - 3 rooms + landing (it's
not a massive house!) so we would have a joinless carpet throughout.

If you get a decent carpet fitter then you can get them to join a
carpet almost invisibly (carpet fitters I know of have joined carpets
of a light colour and the join is invisible unless you really look
closely\know where it is)
--

Depends how you do the stair runner: you can make it out of the same carpet
as that in your upstairs rooms and landing ( if a suitable hardwearing

Be aware that the nap of the carpet should run downstairs as it we the
best way to tell this is to run your hand along the carpet and feel which
way the resistance is most. The nap always runs into/out of the carpet roll,
never side to side. Make sure your carpet upstairs is aligned so that the
nap lays correctly where the landing meets the first step. Drop the upstairs
carpet down the first riser and tuck it into the pair of gripper rods at the
bottom, then carry on with your riser carpet, be it single piece or in
sections.

Andy.

Stair Runner Thomarse UK diy 5 November 22nd 06 03:13 PM
Fitting stair runner round corners Andrew UK diy 3 November 13th 06 12:00 PM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
Fitted carpet Jim Scott UK diy 6 April 19th 06 10:29 AM
finding stair runner Steve UK diy 2 June 28th 04 07:12 PM