Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lightbulb question

Hi there

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Many thanks!

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Have you tried Ikea? Just about all their stuff is screw fitting.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Many thanks!

Ruth

Screw fitting lamps are known as ES (short for Edison Screw). ES lamps come
in several screw sizes.
This might help a little:
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/art...p?ArticleID=12

I'm quite sure that you will find what you are searching for eventually.
BELL (British Electric Lamps Ltd) of Wimbledon London SW something used to
manufacture a very good range of SBC & SES lamps in various shapes, sizes
and colours. I still use many of them from old stock bought some while ago.
Don't know if the firm still exists.
Good luck
GS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 17:01, wrote:

Hi there

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Many thanks!

Ruth

In case you dont find any, alternatives are gel filters and coloured
reflectors. Apricot is dilute orange, so an orange reflector would
peachify the total light output. Peach is yellow-orange. Nylon
lampshades can also be used for this. Just a standard metal lampshade
frame wound with coloured nylon tape.

Painting tends not to work well. Brushing gives valleys and ridges,
the valleys let the white through and the ridges cut the light output
down. It can be done, but one has to use a paint with much stronger
colour than wanted, and accept fairly heavy light losses. Perhaps
spraying would solve that issue.

Reflectors are probably easiest for pale colours like peach. You're
then using cheap easily replaced bulbs instead of speciality priced
and hard to find. Also you can use cfl if and when wanted.

CFLs come in pink from eurobatteries.com

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 6:14 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Have you tried Ikea? Just about all their stuff is screw fitting.

I have I'm afraid - good thought though....they stock lots of screw
bulbs but none with just a hint of colour!

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 6:46 pm, Lurch wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 09:01:10 -0800, mused:

Hi there

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

I'm a little lost.

What cap type exactly do you want?

I want a standard size bulb - the shape of the bulb doesn't doesn't
matter particularly.

What is 'a small and standard screw
fitting'?

A standard screw fitting is what you find on 'standard' light bulbs
and a small screw fitting is the smaller version of a standard screw
fitting but also found on standard size light bulbs.

Do you mean you want lamps, the same physical size as a
standard lightbulb

See above - yes.

but with an E27 Edison screw fitting

I have no idea what an E27 Edison screw fitting is I'm afraid.

and also the
same body with a smaller screw cap?

Yes - a standard bulb with a smaller screw cap - exactly.

Some colour ES capped lamps here;

http://www.netlamps.co.uk/cat/GLS%20COLOUR%20LAMPS.html

Those aren't any good I'm afraid because I am looking for lightbulbs
with a hint of colour rather than coloured lightbulbs. None of these
have screw fittings either and so wouldn't be any good from that point
of view either.

Only SES ones I can see immediately are here;

http://www.netlamps.co.uk/cat/PYGMY%20COLOUR%20LAMPS.html

Not those either I'm afraid. i'm after a standard size bulb with a
standard or small screw fitting.

Thanks for your help in any case...

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 8:57 pm, "Great Scot"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... Hi there

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Many thanks!

Ruth

Screw fitting lamps are known as ES (short for Edison Screw). ES lamps come
in several screw sizes.
This might help a little:http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/art...p?ArticleID=12

Brilliant - that's handy - thanks very much!

I'm quite sure that you will find what you are searching for eventually.
BELL (British Electric Lamps Ltd) of Wimbledon London SW something used to
manufacture a very good range of SBC & SES lamps in various shapes, sizes
and colours. I still use many of them from old stock bought some while ago.
Don't know if the firm still exists.

I'll take a look and see if I can track them down. The search
continues

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated.

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 8:14 pm, Pete C wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 09:01:10 -0800, wrote:

Hi there

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

Many thanks!

Ruth

Hi,

Maybe try thinned light bulb paint, peach is lemon and pink, so yellow
with a little red might work OK.

What a great idea - that has never occured to me! I'll take a look and
see if there are any pearlescent lightbulb paints where I could add a
touch of colour. Thanks very much - that may be a good solution

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 8:52 pm, wrote:
On 16 Feb, 17:01, wrote:

[...]

Brilliant - thanks very much - again, some more possible solutions -
much appreciated. I find it quite odd that the bulbs with a hint of
colour only seem to be manufactured in one fitting and not another -
particularly because screw fittings have been around for a good few
years now....

Many thanks once again

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb 2007 07:11:52 -0800, mused:

I'm looking to purchase ordinary lightbulbs with a hint of colour
(peach, apricot) but with a small and standard screw fitting. They
seem to be available with bayonet fittings but not with screw fittings
of any size, large or small. Does anyone know if there are any
manufacturers out there who make them at all?

I'm a little lost.

What cap type exactly do you want?

I want a standard size bulb - the shape of the bulb doesn't doesn't
matter particularly.

Right.

What is 'a small and standard screw
fitting'?

A standard screw fitting is what you find on 'standard' light bulbs
and a small screw fitting is the smaller version of a standard screw
fitting but also found on standard size light bulbs.

Standard screw fitting, E27, or Edison Screw (ES).

A small screw cap is Small Edison Screw (SES).

Do you mean you want lamps, the same physical size as a
standard lightbulb

See above - yes.

Usually you'll find that standard size lamps come with full size caps
and small lamps with smaller caps. Either way, the 2 are generally
linked in some form so full size lamp = full size cap.

but with an E27 Edison screw fitting

I have no idea what an E27 Edison screw fitting is I'm afraid.

See above.

and also the
same body with a smaller screw cap?

Yes - a standard bulb with a smaller screw cap - exactly.

Some colour ES capped lamps here;

http://www.netlamps.co.uk/cat/GLS%20COLOUR%20LAMPS.html

Those aren't any good I'm afraid because I am looking for lightbulbs
with a hint of colour rather than coloured lightbulbs. None of these
have screw fittings either and so wouldn't be any good from that point
of view either.

Right, like the ones that are often called 'soft tone' or similar?

Only SES ones I can see immediately are here;

http://www.netlamps.co.uk/cat/PYGMY%20COLOUR%20LAMPS.html

Not those either I'm afraid. i'm after a standard size bulb with a
standard or small screw fitting.

Doubt you'll find one, but if you do it'll be expensive!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 9:32 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

I find it quite odd that the bulbs with a hint of
colour only seem to be manufactured in one fitting and not another -
particularly because screw fittings have been around for a good few
years now....

I take it the colours you want are available in bayonet fitting? If your
lampholders have enough depth you could use an adaptor from ES to BC.

One on ebay, though no picture...http://tinyurl.com/2ptyfw

I've seen others around, just google.

Hmmm...that's interesting - didn't know that you could get an adaptor
from one to the other. Yep - the ones that I need do come in a boyonet
fitting. Thanks very much for that - another avenue to investigate.

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 23, 1:39 pm, Lurch wrote:
[...]

Aha...

A small screw cap is Small Edison Screw (SES).

I see....

Do you mean you want lamps, the same physical size as a
standard lightbulb

See above - yes.

Usually you'll find that standard size lamps come with full size caps
and small lamps with smaller caps. Either way, the 2 are generally
linked in some form so full size lamp = full size cap.

Yep.....clearer now

but with an E27 Edison screw fitting

I have no idea what an E27 Edison screw fitting is I'm afraid.

See above.

Thank you!

and also the
same body with a smaller screw cap?

Yes - a standard bulb with a smaller screw cap - exactly.

Some colour ES capped lamps here;

http://www.netlamps.co.uk/cat/GLS%20COLOUR%20LAMPS.html

Those aren't any good I'm afraid because I am looking for lightbulbs
with a hint of colour rather than coloured lightbulbs. None of these
have screw fittings either and so wouldn't be any good from that point
of view either.

Right, like the ones that are often called 'soft tone' or similar?

Yes - exactly those.

Only SES ones I can see immediately are here;

http://www.netlamps.co.uk/cat/PYGMY%20COLOUR%20LAMPS.html

Not those either I'm afraid. i'm after a standard size bulb with a
standard or small screw fitting.

Doubt you'll find one,

It looks as if no-one makes them but I now have a few other ideas to
go on which is handy.

but if you do it'll be expensive!

To be honest, I'm not fussed about the cost - odd that they're not
being made, there must be a demand for them I would have thought.

Thanks for the info - appreciated.

Ruth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Feb, 15:16, wrote:
On Feb 22, 9:32 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

I find it quite odd that the bulbs with a hint of
colour only seem to be manufactured in one fitting and not another -
particularly because screw fittings have been around for a good few
years now....

I take it the colours you want are available in bayonet fitting? If your
lampholders have enough depth you could use an adaptor from ES to BC.

One on ebay, though no picture...http://tinyurl.com/2ptyfw

I've seen others around, just google.

Hmmm...that's interesting - didn't know that you could get an adaptor
from one to the other. Yep - the ones that I need do come in a boyonet
fitting. Thanks very much for that - another avenue to investigate.

Ruth

Your light fittings must be something special for you not to want to
replace them with sensible BC ones. Replacing just the holders might
be an option.

NT

OT humor -- How many listmembers does it take to change a lightbulb? LarryLurker Metalworking 10 March 2nd 06 10:25 PM
The Self-Healing Lightbulb [email protected] Home Repair 16 January 27th 06 06:08 PM
Sheared lightbulb in recessed socket kj Home Repair 26 September 19th 05 09:15 PM
Lightbulb paint Matt Home Repair 5 May 19th 05 02:50 AM
Changing A Lightbulb, A lesson in Posting? Boris Beizer Metalworking 5 March 27th 04 12:20 AM