Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pumped sewage

Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:43:54 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
mused:

Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

Best to be avoided where possible, but if the dwellings sewer is lower
than the main sewer then either you do it this way or have someone
come and manually empty it from time to time.

There's a few properties round here that have them and I've not heard
of any major problems with any of them, apart from minor blockages
caused by lack of service\broken pipes\dodgy installation. Some of
these are a few years old, some are 20 odd years old.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

Budget for a service if it's not got a history of regular ones, loads
easier to work on now rather than when it's backed up, dark and
raining.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where
the "effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main
sewer in the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

No personal experience but I know a cottage up
the top that has one. It is relatively trouble
free but if something does break down, (or a
power cut lasting a few days), then it is panic
stations in case the holding tank overflows.

We used to be on a septic tank and (imo) if you
have any sort of private sewerage system then you
are almost certain to end up diy'ing the regular
maintainance and various repairs. No great problem
but, (like exhausts on cars), they always seem to
need working on in the depths of winter.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote in message

Ours always fails on Xmas Eve.

(

Is the pump anywhere near the chimney?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:43:54 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

I know whole estates that have them fitted, not because of height, but
because the main sewer/treatment works cannot handle the extra flow during
the day and only allow the extra load at night.

There seems to be a persistent rumour that it doesn't work out too well,
though I've never found out why. I guess one problem is that if it goes
wrong, then you end up paying for the repairs.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess it is a good negotiating point, but I don't think it would put me
off (subject to trying to establish "condition", as others have said).
Remember that they are very widely used by the water industry so it is a
mature technology. The pumps are also designed to be as easy to change and
service as possible. I guess it it were mine I would wonder about having a
backup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Newshound" wrote in message
I guess it is a good negotiating point, but I don't think it would

put me
off (subject to trying to establish "condition", as others have

said).
Remember that they are very widely used by the water industry so it

is a
mature technology. The pumps are also designed to be as easy to

change and
service as possible. I guess it it were mine I would wonder about

having a
backup.

nice pun - backup ! Spare pump or pile of ..... G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb, 13:43, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

Take a google at Flyght Pumps. They are one of the better
manufacturers for this sort of device and have a long established
experience base in all things involving pumping **** amongst other
nasties

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

You need to find out if it takes anyone else's turds away as well as your
own - I recently worked on a house, one of a small group of houses (about 6
or 7) and this bloke had the main tank and pump in his back garden - it had
it's own electricity supply and meter in a box (complete with orange
flashing light!) beside his lawn.
The electricity and service charges were split equally between all the
residents and it's written into the deeds or some other legal document that
they all have shared responsibility...he's lived there 7 years and it's
needed servicing twice, odours - none, although it whiffed a bit when I had
to remove the cast iron lid so I could raise it up by 2 courses of brick so
that it was level with his lawn...the pump was a fairly gigantic thing,
about 4ft long, covered in ****e and just dangling there on a length of
chain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb, 13:43, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

A Saniflo on steroids......

During a recent trip to France I looked in several bricolage sheds.
Not one had a Saniflo.

I am convinced that this is a secret weapon of Napoleon against
the British - revenge for Waterloo (IYSWIM).

Does your vendor look anything like the man in this photo?

http://photogallery.scotsman.com/gal...0609S&cat=peop

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Feb, 13:43, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where

the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main

sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model /

age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

A Saniflo on steroids......

During a recent trip to France I looked in several bricolage sheds.
Not one had a Saniflo.

I am convinced that this is a secret weapon of Napoleon against
the British - revenge for Waterloo (IYSWIM).

Does your vendor look anything like the man in this photo?

http://photogallery.scotsman.com/gal...0609S&cat=peop

No but he is moving to Madera so maybe its a French / Spanish pact G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

Obviously decent sewage pumps work..the main problem with a saniflo s
not the pump, but the macerator. It isn't powerful enough for everything
you can throw at it.

If you have the land space and suitable water tables installing your own
sewage unit - like a biodigester - is possible as well. I have one and I
get a water rebate, and it only needs emptying every few years and cost
about 6 grand to put in..happy to simply dump its outflow into a
ditch..no smells at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb, 07:03, " wrote:
On 12 Feb, 13:43, "Andrew Mawson"

wrote:
Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the
"effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in
the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age
unknown as yet).

AWEM

A Saniflo on steroids......

During a recent trip to France I looked in several bricolage sheds.
Not one had a Saniflo.

I saw one yesterday.

In the Ladies/Gents/Disabled toilet at a Women & Childrens section of
a hospital.

Guess what sex most of the users are going to be??

Guess how large were the "PLEASE DO NOT PUT........" signs on the
wall.

I wonder who thought it was a good idea to install a saniflow in such
a location (with the obligatory waste going uppards pipe).

Sewage Back-up mcd Home Repair 10 July 13th 06 12:44 AM
sewage back up [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
The smell of sewage Suzie-Q Home Repair 10 August 28th 05 08:20 PM
Sewage backflow basement barry martin Home Repair 0 December 2nd 04 01:42 AM
Sewage overflow, suggestion please The Natural Philosopher UK diy 5 November 26th 04 05:03 PM