DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flexible Filler / Plaster (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/192046-flexible-filler-plaster.html)

[email protected] February 12th 07 11:24 AM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

In the front room of my Edwardian house there's an arch leading to a
bay. Over the years there's been movement on one upper corner of the
arch. I've removed the wallpaper & it looks like it's been poly-
filled and also re-plastered (albeit slightly lower down) at some
stage.

While this isn't great news - most Victorian / Edwardian houses we saw
when house hunting (& believe me there were many...) had some kind of
movement near a bay, so I'm not unduly worried (yet)

I want to patch the current crack & re-wallpaper. What's the best
filler or plaster to use, given that inevitably there'll be minor
movement in the coming years, so it needs to be very flexible.

Thanks,

Michael
..

Grunff February 12th 07 04:58 PM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

wrote:
In the front room of my Edwardian house there's an arch leading to a
bay. Over the years there's been movement on one upper corner of the
arch. I've removed the wallpaper & it looks like it's been poly-
filled and also re-plastered (albeit slightly lower down) at some
stage.

While this isn't great news - most Victorian / Edwardian houses we saw
when house hunting (& believe me there were many...) had some kind of
movement near a bay, so I'm not unduly worried (yet)

I want to patch the current crack & re-wallpaper. What's the best
filler or plaster to use, given that inevitably there'll be minor
movement in the coming years, so it needs to be very flexible.

There are no flexible fillers per se, because no one wants rubbery
walls. However, some are more forgiving than others.

How large is the area requiring filling, and how deep? For small cracks,
particularly where two surfaces meet, acrylic decorator's caulk is ideal:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=caulk

It easily tolerates a few % movement, and is paintable, but you can only
use it for small cracks.

For larger areas, polystyrene based filler works well. It isn't
flexible, but it isn't as prone to cracking as plaster or cellulose filler.

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...iller&Search=1

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental

[email protected] February 12th 07 07:29 PM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

Grunff wrote:
For larger areas, polystyrene based filler works well. It isn't flexible, but it isn't as prone to cracking as plaster or cellulose filler.

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...iller&Search=1

The crack itself isn't massive - a couple of mms wide but runs the
width of the arch - about 30cms. Sounds like I might be best off with
decorators caulk, given the relatively small width.

Is One Strike Filler the same as Polyfilla 'No Sanding' filler:
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...polyfilla.html
(It's basically very, very light, almost like egg white and can be
mixed with a little water if a bit dry)?

Michael

Grunff February 12th 07 09:22 PM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

wrote:

The crack itself isn't massive - a couple of mms wide but runs the
width of the arch - about 30cms. Sounds like I might be best off with
decorators caulk, given the relatively small width.

Yes, you would - it is ideal for this type of crack.

Is One Strike Filler the same as Polyfilla 'No Sanding' filler:
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...polyfilla.html
(It's basically very, very light, almost like egg white and can be
mixed with a little water if a bit dry)?

Yes, same type of filler.

The Natural Philosopher February 13th 07 10:28 AM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

Grunff wrote:
wrote:
In the front room of my Edwardian house there's an arch leading to a
bay. Over the years there's been movement on one upper corner of the
arch. I've removed the wallpaper & it looks like it's been poly-
filled and also re-plastered (albeit slightly lower down) at some
stage.

While this isn't great news - most Victorian / Edwardian houses we saw
when house hunting (& believe me there were many...) had some kind of
movement near a bay, so I'm not unduly worried (yet)

I want to patch the current crack & re-wallpaper. What's the best
filler or plaster to use, given that inevitably there'll be minor
movement in the coming years, so it needs to be very flexible.

There are no flexible fillers per se, because no one wants rubbery
walls. However, some are more forgiving than others.

There are. Decorators caulk. HGowever its only suitable for medium
cracks in the 3-10mm sort of range,.

Grunff February 13th 07 10:42 AM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

There are. Decorators caulk. HGowever its only suitable for medium
cracks in the 3-10mm sort of range,.

Erm, that's exactly what it said in the next part of my post, which you
snipped!

The Natural Philosopher February 13th 07 07:26 PM

Flexible Filler / Plaster

Grunff wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

There are. Decorators caulk. HGowever its only suitable for medium
cracks in the 3-10mm sort of range,.

Erm, that's exactly what it said in the next part of my post, which you
snipped!

I cant help it if you contradict yourself ;-)