Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

Default Earth wire picture

Lifted some floorboards upstairs today and found this piece of (original) 1969
new house wiring (to downstairs light switches) - note the green wires:-

http://www.bugs.110mb.com/earth.gif
(its about 400kb)

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Geo contains these words:

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

So should this bunch...

http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb...ML/001074.html

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"Geo" wrote in message
Lifted some floorboards upstairs today and found this piece of (original)
1969
new house wiring (to downstairs light switches) - note the green wires:-

http://www.bugs.110mb.com/earth.gif
(its about 400kb)

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

Geo

Chill out! I've seen much worse. At least you seem to have a good solid
electrical connection there. g

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , rrh
writes

"Geo" wrote in message
.. .
Lifted some floorboards upstairs today and found this piece of (original)
1969
new house wiring (to downstairs light switches) - note the green wires:-

http://www.bugs.110mb.com/earth.gif
(its about 400kb)

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

Geo

Chill out! I've seen much worse. At least you seem to have a good solid
electrical connection there. g

My thoughts exactly, my current fave is lead sheathed cable with barely
tightened earth continuity clamps or a bit of stranded wire loosely twisted
round the sheath for continuity.

or installing a few computers in a mate's new office and getting a few
tingles off the cases, no earth, sorry not true, bit of loosely twisted tinned
stranded wire round a bit of rusty conduit at the incomer to the office as
the earth.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Geo" wrote in message
Lifted some floorboards upstairs today and found this piece of (original)
1969
new house wiring (to downstairs light switches) - note the green wires:-

http://www.bugs.110mb.com/earth.gif
(its about 400kb)

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

Geo

Seems fine for the time to me. Earth wires were not even required for
ceiling lights in the 60's. Often seen wall lights of the time fitted with L
& N from lighting circuit and a single earth wire from the nearest socket

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Geo wrote:
Lifted some floorboards upstairs today and found this piece of
(original) 1969 new house wiring (to downstairs light switches) - note
the green wires:-

Seems strange they didn't use TW&E which was available in those days,
especially on a new build where you'd expect it to be bought in rather
than from stock - indeed many just cut off the earth wire for lighting
installations before it became mandatory.

http://www.bugs.110mb.com/earth.gif
(its about 400kb)

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

A well twisted connection using solid core can be quite reliable - it's
how telephone cable was jointed for years.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A well twisted connection using solid core can be quite reliable - it's
how telephone cable was jointed for years.

Ah, the PO splice!

Dave

--
Foot Massage @ Home
Luxurious, foot massage in Worcestershire

Continuous copper wire to earth ground Fpbear II Home Repair 34 January 15th 07 02:31 AM
Extending Earth Wire For Sink [email protected] UK diy 11 January 9th 07 11:29 AM
reusing earth wire in a 5-core cable Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 13 November 9th 06 08:28 PM
Unnecessary earth wire? Aldrich UK diy 2 January 27th 05 12:30 AM
2 wire circuit - no earth Stephen Fasham UK diy 5 December 13th 04 02:29 PM