DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drilling small holes in lead / soft alloy (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/191698-drilling-small-holes-lead-soft-alloy.html)

Grumps February 8th 07 02:40 PM

Drilling small holes in lead / soft alloy

Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to about
2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it seems that
drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or slow?
Ta.

Newshound February 8th 07 02:46 PM

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to
about 2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it
seems that drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or slow?
Ta.

SLOW! I'd use a hand drill.

Grunff February 8th 07 02:47 PM

Grumps wrote:
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to about
2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it seems that
drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or slow?

I suspect your drill is simply getting clogged and so is unable to cut
any further in. The trick with soft materials, especially something like
lead, is a very slow drill speed, and I mean really slow. Drill a little
way in, and lift up to allow swarf removal. Repeat a few times until
you're at the required depth.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental

Andrew Mawson February 8th 07 02:53 PM

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm

in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get

to about
2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it

seems that
drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or

slow?
Ta.

I expect that the flutes of the drill are getting clogged with the
relatively soft swarf. Use a 'pecking' action - drill in a short way,
withdraw to clear the drill flutes then start again. The smaller the
drill the faster you need it to turn. See here for a chart:

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/drillspeed.html

AWEM

Grumps February 8th 07 03:41 PM

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm

in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get

to about
2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it

seems that
drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or

slow?
Ta.

I expect that the flutes of the drill are getting clogged with the
relatively soft swarf. Use a 'pecking' action - drill in a short way,
withdraw to clear the drill flutes then start again. The smaller the
drill the faster you need it to turn. See here for a chart:

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/drillspeed.html

Thanks all for your replies.
And thanks for the link to that chart.

Guy King February 8th 07 04:05 PM

Drilling small holes in lead / soft alloy

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

I suspect your drill is simply getting clogged and so is unable to cut
any further in. The trick with soft materials, especially something like
lead, is a very slow drill speed, and I mean really slow. Drill a little
way in, and lift up to allow swarf removal. Repeat a few times until
you're at the required depth.

And experiment with the angle of the cutting edge of the drill. Too
sharp may cause problems if it's trying to remove too much material at a
time.

--
Skipweasel

Ian Stirling February 8th 07 07:55 PM

Grumps wrote:
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to about
2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it seems that
drilling stops.

If dimensions are not critical, I'd start by trying a hammer and nail.

nightjar February 8th 07 08:59 PM

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to
about 2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it
seems that drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or slow?

You should find that quick spiral drills work better than ordinary jobber
drills.

Colin Bignell

The Natural Philosopher February 8th 07 11:57 PM

Grumps wrote:
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very
soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to about
2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it seems that
drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or slow?
Ta.

pull the drill and swarf out and try again.

The soft swarf clogs it,.

Lubrication and a low drill speed works best.

John February 9th 07 11:52 AM

Grumps wrote:
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in
very soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to
about 2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it
seems that drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or
slow?
Ta.

pull the drill and swarf out and try again.

The soft swarf clogs it,.

Lubrication and a low drill speed works best.

From my apprentice days I seem to recall that Turpentine was the recommended
lubricant for lead. Paraffin would also probably work - I always used that
for machining aluminium.

John

Grumps February 9th 07 12:14 PM

John wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Hi
I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm
in very soft alloys / lead.
Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get
to about 2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot)
and it seems that drilling stops.
Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or
slow?
Ta.

pull the drill and swarf out and try again.

The soft swarf clogs it,.

Lubrication and a low drill speed works best.

From my apprentice days I seem to recall that Turpentine was the
recommended lubricant for lead. Paraffin would also probably work - I
always used that for machining aluminium.

Thanks.
What do you call low speed (in rpm) for a 2mm bit?

Grunff February 9th 07 12:51 PM

Grumps wrote:

What do you call low speed (in rpm) for a 2mm bit?

Hand drill speed - 100-300rpm tops.