DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how-to: replacing friction hinges on Alu tilt window (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/190929-how-replacing-friction-hinges-alu-tilt-window.html)

jkn January 31st 07 11:38 AM

how-to: replacing friction hinges on Alu tilt window

Hi all
I have a relatively small Aluminium-framed tilt window, around 2
foot (W) by 4 foot (H). The side hinges have worn out (there is a gap
between the window and the frame when closed) and I would like to
replace the hinges. I've bought some hopefully compatible replacement
friction hinges but am a little uncertain as to the best way to
proceed. It looks like the original hinges are riveted to the window
sides; presumably I'll have to drill these out and re-rivet them ...
do I fit the hinges to the frame first, or the window, and are there
any guides out there as to how to do this sort of thing?

Thanks for your suggestions. The window is only at a low height so
luckily I don't have to worry about falling off a high ladder whilst
having a go at this ...

Cheers
jon N

Alex February 1st 07 12:03 AM

how-to: replacing friction hinges on Alu tilt window

remove opening sash
remove hinges and refit new hinges to sash,have a spare pair of hands
support sash in frame re rivet or screw

job done

Ed Sirett February 1st 07 10:32 PM

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:03:39 +0000, Alex wrote:

remove opening sash
remove hinges and refit new hinges to sash,have a spare pair of hands
support sash in frame re rivet or screw

job done

I did on of these and I found the whole matter much harder than I expected.
The hinge was mounted in a slide way in the frame that holds it captive.
The old hinge had to be drifted out from the slideway and the new hinge
drifted in. The end of the slideway had been welded closed and requried
that i cut the corner of the frame to allow the drifting.