DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   euro convertor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/190002-euro-convertor.html)

[email protected] January 22nd 07 08:28 PM

euro convertor

I've just bought a Briel espresso machine by mail order from France. It
has a standard European two pin plug with receptacle for male grounding
pin. It runs on 230V and load is 1600 watts. The only adapter I can
find online is Maplin's euro convertor but that shows a max load of 600
watts. Can I just cut off the plug and fit a standard UK plug onto the
cable?

Terry January 22nd 07 08:48 PM

euro convertor

wrote:
I've just bought a Briel espresso machine by mail order from France. It
has a standard European two pin plug with receptacle for male grounding
pin. It runs on 230V and load is 1600 watts. The only adapter I can
find online is Maplin's euro convertor but that shows a max load of 600
watts. Can I just cut off the plug and fit a standard UK plug onto the
cable?

YES!

But, as the appliance will not have the Noddy Guide to wiring a plug in
the UK, as required by the nanny state, I hope you're competent to do
so!

Martin Pentreath January 22nd 07 08:51 PM

euro convertor

wrote:
I've just bought a Briel espresso machine by mail order from France. It
has a standard European two pin plug with receptacle for male grounding
pin. It runs on 230V and load is 1600 watts. The only adapter I can
find online is Maplin's euro convertor but that shows a max load of 600
watts. Can I just cut off the plug and fit a standard UK plug onto the
cable?

Yes - all an adaptor would do is to reassign the connections to the
correct UK pins, so why not just cut out the middle man.

Colin Wilson January 22nd 07 09:01 PM

euro convertor

I've just bought a Briel espresso machine by mail order from France. It
has a standard European two pin plug with receptacle for male grounding
pin. It runs on 230V and load is 1600 watts. The only adapter I can
find online is Maplin's euro convertor but that shows a max load of 600
watts. Can I just cut off the plug and fit a standard UK plug onto the
cable?

UK voltage is now nominally 230V +10% -6% so it should be fine as long
as you can sort a plug out.

jake January 25th 07 08:08 PM

euro convertor

Thanks all for your help