DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cable sizes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/189917-re-cable-sizes.html)

Osprey January 21st 07 11:13 PM

cable sizes

wrote:
Hello,

Can I ask a daft question: when a cable is described as being 25mm,
what does this mean because it certainly is not an inch thick!?

Thanks.

You won't or shouldn't see that ... what you would see is 'xx mm2'
where the xx is the cross sectional area of the cable.

So 2.5mm2 (typical ring final circuits) is a cable where each of
the current carrying cores is 2.5mm2 in cross sectional area.

25mm2 is not a standard domestic size.

Bob Eager January 21st 07 11:43 PM

cable sizes

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:13:53 UTC, "Osprey"
wrote:

25mm2 is not a standard domestic size.

Except for meter tails! You can even buy it (at a price) in B&Q.

http://www.diybanter.com

Joe Lee January 22nd 07 03:11 AM

cable sizes

Osprey wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

Can I ask a daft question: when a cable is described as being 25mm,
what does this mean because it certainly is not an inch thick!?

Thanks.

You won't or shouldn't see that ... what you would see is 'xx mm2'
where the xx is the cross sectional area of the cable.

So 2.5mm2 (typical ring final circuits) is a cable where each of
the current carrying cores is 2.5mm2 in cross sectional area.

25mm2 is not a standard domestic size.

25mm2 is the standard size for domestic 'meter tails'.

Joe Lee