DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing glue from skirting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/189703-removing-glue-skirting.html)

MrsDux January 19th 07 05:19 PM

Removing glue from skirting

We have recently moved into a new house and needed to have some
dampwork done in one room. We therefore removed the skirting which was
stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the skirting
back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the best way to
remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this best or is
there a product which would work better?
Thanks

George January 19th 07 05:39 PM

Removing glue from skirting

"MrsDux" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have recently moved into a new house and needed to have some
dampwork done in one room. We therefore removed the skirting which was
stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the skirting
back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the best way to
remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this best or is
there a product which would work better?
Thanks

Paint stripper heat gun to soften it,then it should just scrape of with a
blade.

Stuart Noble January 19th 07 06:53 PM

Removing glue from skirting

George wrote:
"MrsDux" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have recently moved into a new house and needed to have some
dampwork done in one room. We therefore removed the skirting which was
stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the skirting
back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the best way to
remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this best or is
there a product which would work better?
Thanks

Paint stripper heat gun to soften it,then it should just scrape of with a
blade.

Sounds like a lot of work. Unless it stands off the wall a lot, I'd just
just put more Gripfil on and shove it back

Brian G January 19th 07 07:29 PM

MrsDux wrote:
We have recently moved into a new house and needed to have some
dampwork done in one room. We therefore removed the skirting which
was stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the
skirting back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the
best way to remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this
best or is there a product which would work better?
Thanks

MrsDrux,

Have a look at the link below - it's not a cheap item, but it will do
exactly what you want.

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/handtool/product/SAN440

Brian G

Weatherlawyer January 19th 07 07:59 PM

Removing glue from skirting

MrsDux wrote:

We removed the skirting which was
stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the skirting
back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the best way to
remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this best or is
there a product which would work better?

Put it face down on a clean floor and hit the stuff with an hammer and
chisel. Don't be such a wuss. It is brittle plastic that might take
some of the timber with it in laces but the bulk of the job is done in
moments and any damage hidden.

Search the group for methods of reaffixing the skirt.

h January 19th 07 10:16 PM

Removing glue from skirting

On 19 Jan 2007 09:19:41 -0800, "MrsDux"
wrote:

We have recently moved into a new house and needed to have some
dampwork done in one room. We therefore removed the skirting which was
stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the skirting
back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the best way to
remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this best or is
there a product which would work better?
Thanks

if its gripfill or similar it scrapes of easily with a sharp chisel

The Natural Philosopher January 21st 07 01:40 AM

MrsDux wrote:
We have recently moved into a new house and needed to have some
dampwork done in one room. We therefore removed the skirting which was
stuck on with some sort of adhesive. We now want to put the skirting
back but the adhesive is still stuck to it. What is the best way to
remove it? We were recommended to use a chisel, is this best or is
there a product which would work better?
Thanks

Don;t waste your tome. Buy some new and paint it to match existing.

It really is very cheap. Unless its solid oak or something. Or a weird
old fashioned section.