DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Motorlift Garage Door Opener (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1882-motorlift-garage-door-opener.html)

PoP September 12th 03 12:24 PM

Motorlift Garage Door Opener

My Motorlift garage door opener seems to blow 40w bulbs frequently. I
thought I'd found the reason - when the door closes the light stays on
for 4.5 minutes, then automatically goes out. About 30 seconds before
the end of this time the light flickers like mad - and a radio that
I've got in the garage (nowhere near the opener) crackles badly.

Wrote to Chamberlain about this and got a reply back which said that
I'm supposed to use a "40w rough service edison screw bulb". First
reaction was "WTF?". Second reaction - where do I get these from.

Anyone else notice that the Motorlift bulb flickers during the final
stage of its on time? I naturally assumed that the electronics may
have been faulty.

PoP

Christian McArdle September 12th 03 01:31 PM

Motorlift Garage Door Opener

Wrote to Chamberlain about this and got a reply back which said that
I'm supposed to use a "40w rough service edison screw bulb". First
reaction was "WTF?". Second reaction - where do I get these from.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LARS40ES.html

The door opener will be subjected to much vibration, which massively
shortens the life of the bulb. Flashing and flickering do not affect bulb
life. I wouldn't be surprised if flickering extended bulb life because the
filament never reaches full temperature...

Christian.

Alex September 12th 03 01:34 PM

Motorlift Garage Door Opener

Most garage door companies sell these bulbs ,be prepared for a shock on
price £2.75 is normal price.You may get them from a electrical wholesaler
but it will be a box of 12 or more

PoP September 13th 03 03:51 PM

Motorlift Garage Door Opener

On 13 Sep 2003 07:35:01 -0700, (Doordoc) wrote:

I would suspect it is in the light socket. With the opener unplugged
inspect the metal tab at the bottom of the socket for signs of
discoloration from arcing.

Sounds feasible. I'll check that out - thanks!

PoP