DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cheap and basic kitchen units (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/187563-cheap-basic-kitchen-units.html)

Paul Ockenden December 30th 06 11:27 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I thought
I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before and they
are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles and plinth all
included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I was
told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both
have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the
stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm looking
for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the weight probably
makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Thanks,

P.

Tombloke December 31st 06 10:37 AM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

IKEA.

Paul Ockenden December 31st 06 10:41 AM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

"Tombloke" wrote
IKEA.

Looked at their website before posting, but couldn't see any cheap all-in-one
kits (inc. plinths and door handles) like B&Q used to sell.

Could you point me to the relevant page?

P.

[email protected] December 31st 06 12:03 PM

Paul Ockenden wrote:
I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I thought
I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before and they
are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles and plinth all
included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I was
told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both
have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the
stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm looking
for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the weight probably
makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Thanks,

P.

Howdens, but you need an account. Most of their stuff is preassembled,
but they do a small range of cheapo flat pack stuff (can't remember
what it's called - might be something like technik)

Otherwise find a local replacement kitchen door company. They usually
also do cheap flatpack carcasses, and will do a cheap mdf door, or for
really cheap, get a sheet of 18mm MDF cut to the right door sizes at
B+Q (remembering to knock 5mm off the nominal dimensions to allow for
opening) Works out at about £3 per door.

Harry Bloomfield December 31st 06 12:31 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

Paul Ockenden formulated on Saturday :
I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I thought
I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before and they
are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles and plinth all
included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I was
told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both
have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the
stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm looking
for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the weight probably
makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Is there a kitchen unit manufacturer near to you, they often have a
factory outlet where you can pick up end of line/ slightly damaged
stuff really cheap and sometimes you can leave an order with them until
something suitable turns up.

We got a complete base, sink, taps and fittings all in for £100 a few
weeks ago - good enough for the utility room we needed it for.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

kitchenwizard December 31st 06 12:38 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

i know those old b & q units well. b&q stopped sellin them a while ago
due to customer complaints. Focus do-it-all are the only people selling
such poor units these days although not at every store. Id advise a
basic Wickes one though, a bit more expensive but will last more than a
few months

The Natural Philosopher December 31st 06 12:46 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

Tombloke wrote:
IKEA.

Hygena. Good balance between utter crap and overpriced crap.

Lobster December 31st 06 01:26 PM

wrote:
Paul Ockenden wrote:
[...]

Yes that, the one: fitted some myself only last week. I don't know if
MFI do an equivalent, given that they are are the retail outlet of the
same company as Howdens? (IMHO it's not that hard to blag a trade
account at Howden's although probably not worth it for a one-off...
alternatively if you know anyone (tradesman?) with an account they might
be readily persuaded to order for you, given that their individual
discounts are dependent on overall order volume.

David

HLAH December 31st 06 02:09 PM

"Paul Ockenden" wrote in message

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both
have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the
stuff that B&Q used to sell.

That's odd, Wickes still list their basic takeaway kitchens on their website
http://www.wickes.co.uk/icat/kitrangeinst They do them mail order as well.

Phil Kyle December 31st 06 04:39 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

[...]

Povvo.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g

Derek December 31st 06 08:33 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:27:24 -0000, "Paul Ockenden"
wrote:

I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I thought
I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before and they
are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles and plinth all
included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I was
told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both
have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the
stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm looking
for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the weight probably
makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Try http://www.keencost.co.uk/

North/Northeast England only.

Not plain laminated chipboard white but plain colours and quite cheap.

DG

[email protected] January 1st 07 12:19 AM

Paul Ockenden wrote:

I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I thought
I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before and they
are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles and plinth all
included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I was
told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they both
have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and cheap!) as the
stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm looking
for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the weight probably
makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Thanks,

P.

Why pay? Freecycle. If matching is a must, replace all the handles &
spray the doors.

NT

georgina Smith January 11th 07 11:38 AM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

I get mine from Focus, ironically owned by Wickes PLC.
You have to get the timing right though. Focus are notorious for charging
about £80 for a 1000ml wall unit, and then pretending to have a sale so that
they charge the more realistic price of £20 ish. They are quite decent
cabinets and look quite smart assuming that you can read chinese
instructions.

Eric January 12th 07 03:23 AM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

ikea is cheap

eric

Alan Holmes January 12th 07 04:15 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

"Eric " ericspamfree wrote in message
. uk...
ikea is cheap

And it's relalvence to driving is?

eric

Phil Kyle January 12th 07 04:23 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

"Alan Holmes" verbally sodomised in
:

"Eric " ericspamfree wrote in message
. uk...
ikea is cheap

And it's relalvence to driving is?

Dunno, what's relalvence?

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g

Halmyre January 12th 07 04:37 PM

Cheap and basic kitchen units

In article ,
says...

"Eric
" ericspamfree wrote in message
. uk...
ikea is cheap

And it's relalvence to driving is?

IKEA drives you mad.

--
Halmyre

David R January 12th 07 06:36 PM

"Halmyre" wrote in message
ikea is cheap

And it's relalvence to driving is?

IKEA drives you mad.

I find it pretty good, but you really need to get clued up prior to going
in. Once you understand their system it's pretty good for certain items,
with a lot of it being really badly made cheap ****.

The best times are when there's a 35 year old 'professional' female,
heavily-caked in make-up, who screams "you mean *I* have to pick up anything
I want *myself*? A light-shade isn't that easy to carry you know."

Why was this cross-posted here?! Why did I reply? God help me...

Alan Holmes January 12th 07 06:49 PM

"Halmyre" wrote in message
In article ,
says...