Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete drive

Hi group,

Advice please on concreting.

I will be replacing my driveway and area around the house with
concrete.
It is currently a mixture of road plainings and concrete slaps.
The road plainings are a real pain and seem to trap dirt which gets
moved about
so it is all coming up.
This is a farmhouse and heavy machinery moves around on it.
7 ton jcb, 2 ton fork lift with load. It also will have to deal with a
tanker lorry
deliverying bulk LPG. So it will have to handle Weight.

Currently the concrete that was put on by the previous owner is simply
not up to
the job and has cracked and given way.

1. What base should I use? How deep and what materials.
2. What mix of concrete and what depth of concrete.

Ideally I'd like to use white concrete rather than dull gray unless
anyone can
think of other finishes. A smooth finish is required. No patterned
stuff as I
move a pallet truck around on this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Advice please on concreting.

Have you looked at the excellent
http://www.pavingexpert.com/ ?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

wrote:

Advice please on concreting.

Have you looked at the excellent
http://www.pavingexpert.com/ ?

David

Suggested values here would crack and break on first use with my little
forklift.
The forklift has become known as the destroyer. 4 tons of load on
something smaller than
a mini would soon break their suggested values.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It needs excavating to about a foot deep, then 5 inches of crush and run,
this needs compacting with a vibrating roller, then you need at least 7
inches of reinforced concrete, if you don't want it to crack you need to lay
it in slabs of about 15ft by 15ft, the edges will need to be filled with a
mastic type substance to allow the concrete to expand and contract with the
weather...forget white, unless you are very lucky and it happens to dry
white, it will be the colour of concrete, IE a dull grey, take a look at any
garage forecourt to see what I mean.

if the drive itself is currently compacted hardcore, you can save money by
concreting directly over this, but again, it will need doing in sections and
it definately needs reinforcements...how big is the total area?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the info.
About 5 or 6 bays of 15 ft square around the house.
Then a long driveway maybe 50 ft. I plan to do it in
stages.

Phil L wrote:

wrote:
[...]

UPDATE: CD Rom Drive and Floppy Disk Drive, Same Type of Problem at the Same Time!!! Brad Electronics Repair 0 September 19th 06 01:27 PM
UPDATE: CD Rom Drive and Floppy Disk Drive, Same Type of Problem at the Same Time!!! Brad Electronics Repair 0 September 16th 06 02:14 PM
concrete drive Neil UK diy 1 August 12th 05 02:39 PM
To seal my concrete drive way.. Ideals Fatdaddy Home Repair 3 June 5th 05 04:24 AM
Rough cost of re-doing a concrete drive David Hearn UK diy 9 September 17th 03 04:05 PM