DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Treating a subfloor for wood boring insects before laying a new floor on top? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/187324-treating-subfloor-wood-boring-insects-before-laying-new-floor-top.html)

[email protected] December 28th 06 06:07 PM

Treating a subfloor for wood boring insects before laying a new floor on top?

When I moved into my house I received a Rentakill certificate to say
that some work had been carried out on some of the floors to treat
against wood boring insects (this was in 1998).

I'm about to lay a tongue+groove solid oak floor on top of the original
flooring and wondered whether it was worth updating the treatment on
the flooring.

Is this an easy DIY job. Can you just treat the top surface or do you
have to start pulling up floorboards? Presumably rentakill have a
special magic way of doing it without resorting to mass floorboard
removal?

Has anybody else bothered to treat a subfloor like this before laying a
new floor on top?

Cheers,

Adam.

[email protected] December 28th 06 06:17 PM

wrote:

When I moved into my house I received a Rentakill certificate to say
that some work had been carried out on some of the floors to treat
against wood boring insects (this was in 1998).

I'm about to lay a tongue+groove solid oak floor on top of the original
flooring and wondered whether it was worth updating the treatment on
the flooring.

Is this an easy DIY job. Can you just treat the top surface or do you
have to start pulling up floorboards? Presumably rentakill have a
special magic way of doing it without resorting to mass floorboard
removal?

Has anybody else bothered to treat a subfloor like this before laying a
new floor on top?

Cheers,

Adam.

Do you have an active woodworm problem? If not you dont need to treat
it.

NT

[email protected] December 28th 06 10:43 PM

Treating a subfloor for wood boring insects before laying a new floor on top?

I haven't seen any obvious signs of it yet (although haven't looked
hard). Had just assumed that if we'd been prone to it in the past then
maybe we should take precautions again...

[email protected] December 29th 06 01:19 AM

wrote:

Do you have an active woodworm problem? If not you dont need to treat
it.

Do you think the problem was not solved last time?

NT

jack January 2nd 07 10:15 PM

On 28 Dec 2006 10:07:50 -0800, wrote:

When I moved into my house I received a Rentakill certificate to say
that some work had been carried out on some of the floors to treat
against wood boring insects (this was in 1998).

I'm about to lay a tongue+groove solid oak floor on top of the original
flooring and wondered whether it was worth updating the treatment on
the flooring.

Is this an easy DIY job. Can you just treat the top surface or do you
have to start pulling up floorboards? Presumably rentakill have a
special magic way of doing it without resorting to mass floorboard
removal?

Has anybody else bothered to treat a subfloor like this before laying a
new floor on top?

Cheers,

Adam.

i looked into this a couple of years ago and from what i remember
woodworm doesnt attack timber over 40 years old
however wood worm treatment is a nice little earner for some companies

jack