Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Super Glue - Removal!

Hello!

My wonderful fiancee in her infinate wisdom decided to fix a decorative
wall sign of my sons for his bedroom wall - with superglue. It worked
great!... however she left it on our kitchen worktop to dry, and you
guessed it, the superglue dripped and went on the surface!

I have have a long ridge of superglue along the worksurface which is
one of those face marble effect ones. I'd like to know if superglue
really is super or whether there is a way to dissolve/remove it once it
has set? We are replacing the worktops in the future, but not for quite
a while and it is rather unsightly!

I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it, as other people must of have worse
superglue horror stories where body parts become attached etc!

Anyway, any advice would be greatfully recieved!

Merry xmas

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

(don't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

(don't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

--
LSR

But make sure the acetone won't damage your worktop!!!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can of Spray Pipe Freezer.
Spray onto Superglue
Wait for around 10 secs and chip it off carefully

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

(don't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello!

My wonderful fiancee in her infinate wisdom decided to fix a decorative
wall sign of my sons for his bedroom wall - with superglue. It worked
great!... however she left it on our kitchen worktop to dry, and you
guessed it, the superglue dripped and went on the surface!

As someone else said, acetone, you can get it from a chemists.

Nail polish remover might do the job.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have have a long ridge of superglue along the worksurface which is
one of those face marble effect ones. I'd like to know if superglue
really is super or whether there is a way to dissolve/remove it once it
has set?

Piece of ****.
New razor blade or similarly supersharp tool held at a low acute angle,
slight sawing action as you slice through it.
May need a few passes gradually going down to worktop level.
I use this technique on any flat surface including my el cheapo laminate
worktop.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

R D S wrote:
"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to
http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html (don't see how you
couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

If only there were some way of googling the internet ...

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

Piece of ****.
New razor blade or similarly supersharp tool held at a low acute angle,
slight sawing action as you slice through it.
May need a few passes gradually going down to worktop level.
I use this technique on any flat surface including my el cheapo laminate
worktop.

If you need to use this technique often, you should be more careful with the
superglue!

;-)

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to
http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html (don't see how you
couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

If only there were some way of googling the internet ...

If only we could exist outside Google.
It isn't the be all and end all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

"LSR" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to
http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html (don't see how you
couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

If only there were some way of googling the internet ...

If only we could exist outside Google.
It isn't the be all and end all.

But it did get someone, who was too lazy to do it himself, the answer

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , R D S
writes

"LSR" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to
http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html (don't see how you
couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

If only there were some way of googling the internet ...

If only we could exist outside Google.
It isn't the be all and end all.

But it did get someone, who was too lazy to do it himself, the answer

Acetone does work. Its slow though.
Commercial debonders also exist with other witches brew components, but
acetone is cheaper.

I get mine from glass fibre suppliers.

www.fiberterchgb.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

[...]

Super glue isn't waterproof

--
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

zaax wrote:
Thomarse wrote:

[...]

No, but water won't soften it.

Acetone sponged on, or poured on will tho.

It MUST be acetone, Other cellulose solvents wont touch it.

Get from fiberglass sully places like
http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk/DefaultHome.htm

Nitromethane also works..but its pretty hard to come by.

You can buy debomnder at model shops..and its allegedly very good, but I
got a pint of acetone for the same price, and it definitely
works..unglued my favorite jumper anyway.

Watch out for fumes..very dizzymaking and mega headaches if too much
inhaled. No permanent after effects tho.