Old December 22nd 06, 09:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Super Glue - Removal!

Hello!

My wonderful fiancee in her infinate wisdom decided to fix a decorative
wall sign of my sons for his bedroom wall - with superglue. It worked
great!... however she left it on our kitchen worktop to dry, and you
guessed it, the superglue dripped and went on the surface!

I have have a long ridge of superglue along the worksurface which is
one of those face marble effect ones. I'd like to know if superglue
really is super or whether there is a way to dissolve/remove it once it
has set? We are replacing the worktops in the future, but not for quite
a while and it is rather unsightly!

I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it, as other people must of have worse
superglue horror stories where body parts become attached etc!

Anyway, any advice would be greatfully recieved!

Merry xmas

Tom

Old December 22nd 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

(don't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

--
LSR

Old December 22nd 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

(don't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

--
LSR

But make sure the acetone won't damage your worktop!!!

Peter

Old December 22nd 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can of Spray Pipe Freezer.
Spray onto Superglue
Wait for around 10 secs and chip it off carefully

Old December 22nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

(don't see how you couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello!

My wonderful fiancee in her infinate wisdom decided to fix a decorative
wall sign of my sons for his bedroom wall - with superglue. It worked
great!... however she left it on our kitchen worktop to dry, and you
guessed it, the superglue dripped and went on the surface!

As someone else said, acetone, you can get it from a chemists.

Nail polish remover might do the job.

Rick

Old December 22nd 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have have a long ridge of superglue along the worksurface which is
one of those face marble effect ones. I'd like to know if superglue
really is super or whether there is a way to dissolve/remove it once it
has set?

Piece of ****.
New razor blade or similarly supersharp tool held at a low acute angle,
slight sawing action as you slice through it.
May need a few passes gradually going down to worktop level.
I use this technique on any flat surface including my el cheapo laminate
worktop.

--
Mike W

Old December 22nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

R D S wrote:
"LSR" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
I'm guessing that there must be some substance that reacts with
superglue and dissolves it,

Acetone according to
http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html (don't see how you
couldn't find that yourself)

He sort of did, he asked and you told him.

If only there were some way of googling the internet ...

--
LSR

Old December 22nd 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

Piece of ****.
New razor blade or similarly supersharp tool held at a low acute angle,
slight sawing action as you slice through it.
May need a few passes gradually going down to worktop level.
I use this technique on any flat surface including my el cheapo laminate
worktop.

If you need to use this technique often, you should be more careful with the
superglue!

;-)

Cheers

John