DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fuse box relocation (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/186135-re-fuse-box-relocation.html)

John Rumm December 17th 06 08:23 AM

fuse box relocation

wrote:

I'm thinking of moving the fuse box a few feet because we're turning
the space under the stairs into a toilet. I know this is a DIY forum
but I don't intend moving the meter tails myself! Do I have to get the
electricity board (I think it's EON formerly the MEB in my area) to do
this or will other electricians do this? I think they remove the fuse
where the wire comes into the property to kill the power and I thought
only the MEB were allowed to do that.

Most electricans will be happy enough to pull the main fuse even though
strictly they should not. They may be less happy extending the tails if
it means they need to install longer ones rather than just extend the
existing ones with a service block to join them, since this would
usually mean breaking the seal on the meter connections.

You may find that your supplier will come and fit a service switch after
the meter (or switch fuse if you ned a long extension to the tails), and
some will do this for free.

--
Cheers,

John.