Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Poured Concrete Tolerances

I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others - does
anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured concrete. I
may make a clai if they are over the limits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others - does
anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured concrete. I
may make a clai if they are over the limits.

I'd say that's entirely up to you to negotiate with them beforehand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oktopusinc wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others - does
anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured concrete. I
may make a clai if they are over the limits.

I'd say that's entirely up to you to negotiate with them beforehand.

What - negotiate what the British standards are??

No, negotiate what's appropriate for the job, and what you are willing
to pay for.

For some jobs, +-150mm may be quite appropriate.
For others, +-1mm would be appropriate.

Any standard can only logically reflect this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the tolerance wasn't specified, you haven't got a lot to go on -
though that does sound rough -just pokering it would bring it up more
level than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others -
does anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured
concrete. I may make a clai if they are over the limits.

Who laid the floor? - whoever it was, get them back and tell them to get it
fixed...there are no such thing as tolerances in pouring concrete, the idea
is to stop when it's full to the desired level, although if this 30mm
deviance is over a large area, IE, the floor area of a house, then this is
generally accepted.

BTW, 10mm and 21mm lower and higher than what exactly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others - does
anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured concrete. I
may make a clai if they are over the limits.

I don't think there are any.

One wold normally screed over poured concrete anyway. For levelling. Its
a bitch to get it flat at the best of times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:05:50 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others -
does anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured
concrete. I may make a clai if they are over the limits.

Who laid the floor? - whoever it was, get them back and tell them to get it
fixed...there are no such thing as tolerances in pouring concrete, the idea
is to stop when it's full to the desired level, although if this 30mm
deviance is over a large area, IE, the floor area of a house, then this is
generally accepted.

Only if you have the house built by a bunch of incompetent monkeys

BTW, 10mm and 21mm lower and higher than what exactly?

The datum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The
concrete floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in
others - does anyone know the tolerances in British standards for
poured concrete. I may make a clai if they are over the limits.

Who laid the floor? - whoever it was, get them back and tell them to
get it fixed...there are no such thing as tolerances in pouring
concrete, the idea is to stop when it's full to the desired level,
although if this 30mm deviance is over a large area, IE, the floor
area of a house, then this is generally accepted.

Only if you have the house built by a bunch of incompetent monkeys

No, it's accepted everywhere, get a long straight length of timber and a
spirit level and you'll soon find discrepancies in your own (and everyone
elses) house

BTW, 10mm and 21mm lower and higher than what exactly?

The datum.

Is that above or below the DPC?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The slab is a lowered portion of a larger building I am building a
music studio with a floated floor in. I meant the discrepancies are
higher and lower than the figure of 200mmm below the finished floor
level of the rest of the building. I think I am going to have it
screeded now. I wondered about the BS standards as when I complained to
the architect she said she thought it would be within the tolerances of
British standards. I asked for this to be 200mm below FFL and they knew
my tolerances were tight. I'm interested as to whether I can get them
to pay for the screed as it is now at my expense.

wrote:

oktopusinc wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:53:25 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Matt wrote:

Only if you have the house built by a bunch of incompetent monkeys

No, it's accepted everywhere, get a long straight length of timber and a
spirit level and you'll soon find discrepancies in your own (and everyone
elses) house

No, if you get it laid correctly +/- 5mm over 10m is easy - finding
the long straight length of timber is in my experience more of a
problem.

BTW, 10mm and 21mm lower and higher than what exactly?

The datum.

Is that above or below the DPC?

The datum, there might not even be a DPC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Matt wrote:

Only if you have the house built by a bunch of incompetent monkeys

No, it's accepted everywhere, get a long straight length of timber
and a spirit level and you'll soon find discrepancies in your own
(and everyone elses) house

No, if you get it laid correctly +/- 5mm over 10m is easy - finding
the long straight length of timber is in my experience more of a
problem.

+or- 5mm over 10m is acceptable by you then? - as I said earlier, 10 - 30mm
is generally acceptable, especially if it's over a large area, you say 10m,
the Op doesn't state his area size, nor what he considers acceptable.

BTW, 10mm and 21mm lower and higher than what exactly?

The datum.

Is that above or below the DPC?

The datum, there might not even be a DPC.

There may not have been a datum, we are guessing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

oktopusinc wrote:
I am doing a job in a building that has just been built. The concrete
floor has been poured 10mm low in places and 21mm high in others - does
anyone know the tolerances in British standards for poured concrete. I
may make a clai if they are over the limits.

If you are using the concrete slab as a finish, then you should have
specified this and the builders used proper leveling and finishing
equipment.

Many industrial units require level floors, so it is possible. But this
may not be feasible in a domestic setting.

In either case, the standard expected should have been specifically
stated in the contract documents, otherwise how do the builders know
what you want?

dg