Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default setting a shield anchor behind plaster

Hi,
ok...so I'm nearly ready to start mounting the plasma mount and I have
a few shield anchors to back-up the resin studs I'm going to use.

I've never used a shield anchor but I can see the principal is straight
forward, stick it in your pre-drilled hole, tighten it up, and bobs
your uncle, the anchor expands and secures the chosen bit of whatever
to the wall..the trouble is, I have about 2cm of plaster between the
thing I wish to mount to the wall, and the actual brick...and I don't
want to waste 2cm of the shield by having the colar of the shield level
with the outside of the plaster...I'd obviously rather have the colar
of the sheidl level with the brick, so as to maximise the amount of
expanding bit within the brickwork...

How do I do this ? Do I search out for some sort of colar type washer
that's about 2 cm long to fill the gap between the colar of the shield
and the bolt head, or is there a way to fit the anchor all the way into
the bric, tighten it part of the way to get the anchor to prime itself
first, then do the final tightening after I'm sure it's going to stay
put...instead of the action of tightening the bolt simply pulling the
whole thing back out until it's level with the outside of the plaster
and mated with whatever I'm trying to secure to the wall....anyone
following me here !?!

Ant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Antix wrote:
[...]

...not really, no....why are you fannying about with these fixings? - they
went out with the ark, just drill a 9.5mm hole and use a normal brick bolt,
you can get them for about 80p from builders merchants or ironmongers and
they simply go directly into the hole, the end of the thread is made of a
hardened cutting metal and it cuts a thread into the actual brick, once in
they never come out or come loose, you'll need a 15mm spanner to tighten
them up, no collars, expanding gadgets, plugs or anything else

Post Anchor Base Roger UK diy 1 August 16th 05 02:42 AM
Where to Buy Anchor Seal Bernie Hunt Woodturning 12 July 23rd 05 09:03 PM
Question about anchor seal Steven Raphael Woodturning 3 May 3rd 05 07:26 AM
resin anchor question urchaidh UK diy 1 February 9th 05 10:05 PM
Help: Projecting Anchor Bolts Gary UK diy 17 January 21st 05 01:31 PM