Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuse identification

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

It says:

60A KR
250VAC4
BS1361 1947
Class Q
440VAC4
BS888 1952

Any ideas?

I'm currently assuming it counts as BS88. It is a REC fuse for a single
phase domestic supply.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BS888 1952

Obviously, that read be BS88 1952.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

yes, he does seem con fused.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

I don't know the standards well enough to know if they are
contradictory. I just want to know what to write on the certificate!

Right now, it is BS88...

Christian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

I don't know the standards well enough to know if they are
contradictory. I just want to know what to write on the certificate!

Right now, it is BS88...

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of
supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth
round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite
old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of
supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth
round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite
old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse. Presumably it
isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the
responsibility of the electricity company?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2006 00:03:13 -0800 someone who may be "Christian McArdle"
wrote this:-

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of
supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth
round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite
old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse.

BS88 fuses are HRC fuses, but they have lugs on the end for fitting
in the holder. What you have is undoubtedly something like
http://www.thefusecompany.com/fuse.p...roducts_id=132

Presumably it
isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the
responsibility of the electricity company?

Yes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse. Presumably it
isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the
responsibility of the electricity company?

Yes of course, but I was assuming you were taking, shall we say, a DIY
approach to performing a supply disconnection. Perhaps I'm jumping to
an unfair conclusion...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes of course, but I was assuming you were taking, shall we say, a DIY
approach to performing a supply disconnection. Perhaps I'm jumping to an
unfair conclusion...

Well, I did have to remove the fuse in order to read it. There was no seal
on it. I suppose that might have something to do with the time I replaced
the consumer unit, though...

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BS88 fuses are HRC fuses, but they have lugs on the end for fitting
in the holder. What you have is undoubtedly something like
http://www.thefusecompany.com/fuse.p...roducts_id=132

I'll stick down BS1361. I can't imagine that anyone will even bother reading
the certificate. In fact, I just got a call that they have already signed
off the loft conversion. They want me to post them the electrical
installation certificate on afterwards!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

There was no seal on it.

That's OK then (I didn't read the next bit).

In case you've not seen it you can check your local DNO's policy on such
things he
http://www.energynetworks.org/spring...lect_contr.asp

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In case you've not seen it you can check your local DNO's policy on such
things he
http://www.energynetworks.org/spring...lect_contr.asp

Unfortunately, I get a 404 for my supplier...

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:09:06 -0000 someone who may be "Christian
McArdle" wrote this:-

In case you've not seen it you can check your local DNO's policy on such
things he
http://www.energynetworks.org/spring...lect_contr.asp

Unfortunately, I get a 404 for my supplier...

And for my area, Scottish Power, I get the following bull****:

"At SP EnergyNetworks, we are focussed on improving the integrity,
security and performance of the network - ensuring effective,
efficient delivery of your electricity.

"We cover a vast area, connecting to major power stations, managing
over 80,000 substations and more than £2.5 billion worth of
equipment. Indeed, the network we manage and maintain - over 115,000
kilometres - would stretch almost three times around the world.

"Delivering 40,000 GWh of electricity each year to over 3 million
customers is a big responsibility and one we take very seriously.
Operating, maintaining and repairing the equipment and networks that
connect you to your electricity is a complex task involving a wide
range of activities."

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

McArdle" wrote this:-
Unfortunately, I get a 404 for my supplier...

Scottish & Southern? So you do. If that's how helpful they get then
they deserve to get their main fuses pulled by meddling amateurs...

And for my area, Scottish Power, I get the following bull****:

[snip]

But item 6 in the menu on the right leads you to:

"Occasionally customers require a temporary connection(s) to be made
available, for a site hut for example. This work is fully chargeable to
the customer and will be provided with a number of restrictions such as
the type of earthing provided. Temporary disconnections can also be
carried out but again this is a fully chargeable activity.

"Where temporary disconnection is required to allow work to be carried
out on a customers’ own internal equipment, a two pole switch can be
fitted which will permit customers to arrange for their electrical
contractor to carry out the disconnection and reconnection by use of the
switch. We can be contacted during normal working hours to discuss the
options and to provide a quotation."

Whereas in the EDF Networks area we get a 3-page PDF:

"If you require EDF Energy’s electrical connection to a property to be
temporarily deenergised, for example, to allow work to go ahead safely
on a customer’s electrical installation, you must initially contact the
company that supplies power (ie, the company to whom bills are paid).

"Because of EDF Energy’s statutory obligations, under the Health and
Safety at Work Act, Electricity Act, Utilities Act, the Electricity at
Work Regulations and the Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity
Regulations, EDF Energy is not able to permit customers, electricians
or any other parties to remove meter seals, or operate or work upon,
distribution or metering equipment owned or operated by EDF Energy.

"Primarily, EDF Energy has a duty under section 3 of the Health and
Safety at Work Act to protect persons from danger from its undertakings.
EDF Energy does not believe it can discharge its duty of care if it
allows uncontracted parties to operate the cut-out fuse, exit
point isolation devices, or any other distribution or metering equipment
owned or operated by EDF Energy.

"Once a request for de-energisation has been made by either the
customer, or person undertaking work on behalf of the customer, the
appointed Electricity Supplier will instruct either the Meter Operator,
or the relevant distribution company, ie EDF Energy, to deenergise
the premises. In the case of fuse-isolated Low Voltage supplies
de-energisation will ordinarily be undertaken by the Meter Operator.

"Alternatives to seeking de-energisation and re-energisation of the main
supply via the appointed Electricity Supplier may exist. Some
Electricity Suppliers offer the fitting of customer operable isolators
(involving a short duration disconnection to the customer’s
installation) on the customer’s side of the meter, i.e. ‘load-side’.
This enables the customer’s installation to be made dead at the
electrician’s convenience, without the need to have the main supply
de-energised, and avoids the need for repeat visits. EDF Energy
recommends that customers and electricians enquire with a range of
Electricity Suppliers to confirm whether they offer this type of added
value convenience service.

"Depending on the type of service offered by the supplier, the customer
operable isolator may be provided by the Electricity Supplier, or they
may agree to connect the electricity supply from the electricity meter
into an isolator provided by the customer, or customer’s electrician.
In such circumstances ‘load side’ isolators would not belong to, or be
the responsibility of, EDF Energy unless explicitly agreed and
explicitly labelled by EDF Energy as EDF Energy’s property.

"At this time EDF Energy, as a distribution company, does not offer
customer operable ‘loadside’ isolator installation services for fitting
to existing installations. The company is considering whether its
current de-energisation arrangements can be improved. However, a
number of aspects, including statutory obligations, civil and commercial
law, ownership of ‘load-side’ isolators and consent from affected
parties, such as Electricity Suppliers, Meter Operators and Meter
Providers, will need to be taken into consideration."

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:

There was no seal on it.

That's OK then (I didn't read the next bit).

In case you've not seen it you can check your local DNO's policy on such
things he
http://www.energynetworks.org/spring...lect_contr.asp

--
Andy

Nice link. Thank you

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Wade
saying something like:

But item 6 in the menu on the right leads you to:

snip

Seems to be summed up by.. "We'd prefer it if you didn't, but there
might be a blind eye if you do. Unless you really, really, really want a
switch."
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:21:38 +0000 someone who may be Andy Wade
wrote this:-

And for my area, Scottish Power, I get the following bull****:

[snip]

But item 6 in the menu on the right leads you to:

http://www.sppowersystems.co.uk/networkservices/ has no menu on the
right that I can see.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh