DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   C/H Radiator - plastic inserts for brackets? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/184121-c-h-radiator-plastic-inserts-brackets.html)

Peter Hemmings November 28th 06 10:52 AM

C/H Radiator - plastic inserts for brackets?

Hi,

I have an old long (3m) radiator that creaks as it is heating up.

I have found that most/all new radiators have a plastic insert that
allows expansion without the noise!

Does anyone sell these separately, or doe anyone got another solution
to my problem?

Thanks

Grunff November 28th 06 11:24 AM

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Does anyone sell these separately, or doe anyone got another solution
to my problem?

I've never seen them for sale anywhere. When I've lost inserts in the
past, I've replaced them with rubber grommets, cut in half and pushed
into the U on the bracket.

--
Grunff

TheScullster November 28th 06 05:15 PM

C/H Radiator - plastic inserts for brackets?

"Peter Hemmings" wrote

I have an old long (3m) radiator that creaks as it is heating up.

I have found that most/all new radiators have a plastic insert that allows
expansion without the noise!

Does anyone sell these separately, or doe anyone got another solution to
my problem?

If the radiator is Stelrad or similar mounting, try contacting Stelrad
customer service.
I called them and was told that they are not an item sold separately.
So I asked them to send me some anyway and they did FOC

Phil

John Laird November 28th 06 05:19 PM

Grunff wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:

Does anyone sell these separately, or doe anyone got another solution
to my problem?

I've never seen them for sale anywhere. When I've lost inserts in the
past, I've replaced them with rubber grommets, cut in half and pushed
into the U on the bracket.

Gawd, I wish the installer who worked on the system in my new house
hadn't decided not to bother with these. Every single radiator bangs
when you brush past them. (At least they don't make a noise when
heating up or cooling down.) I'd lift them and add grommets as you
suggest, but as said installer was also a big fan of plastic pipe,
mostly fitted without elbows, I'm loathe to start straining any of the
pipework in case there's no give. (Some of the "tails" are bent
through extreme angles - yuk.)

--
"Push any key. Then push the any other key."

Andrew Gabriel November 28th 06 06:55 PM

C/H Radiator - plastic inserts for brackets?

In article ,
Grunff writes:
Peter Hemmings wrote:

Does anyone sell these separately, or doe anyone got another solution
to my problem?

I've never seen them for sale anywhere. When I've lost inserts in the
past, I've replaced them with rubber grommets, cut in half and pushed
into the U on the bracket.

I wonder if grommets last longer?
Most of the plastic inserts on mine have split under the weight
of the radiator. Only one (bathroom) makes any expansion noises
though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Grunff November 28th 06 07:17 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wonder if grommets last longer?
Most of the plastic inserts on mine have split under the weight
of the radiator. Only one (bathroom) makes any expansion noises
though.

The oldest ones I put in are at my parents house, and have been in for
over 10 years. AFAIK they're still in place. Neoprene in pretty tough
stuff, so as long as you have neoprene grommets...

Another option, if you were buying especially, is neoprene cutout edging
strip, available from RS and the like. Should be even easier to use than
the grommets.

--
Grunff

Peter Hemmings November 28th 06 09:54 PM

Grunff wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wonder if grommets last longer?
Most of the plastic inserts on mine have split under the weight
of the radiator. Only one (bathroom) makes any expansion noises
though.

The oldest ones I put in are at my parents house, and have been in for
over 10 years. AFAIK they're still in place. Neoprene in pretty tough
stuff, so as long as you have neoprene grommets...

Thanks for all the information, I must say I did think the grommets
would get cut quickly, but I will give it a try.