Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Christian McArdle

Default How to mount large hot water cylinder

I am installing a large 180 litre cylinder in my loft. (It will probably be
an indirect plate heat exchanged heat bank, if you are interested). It will
be installed next to a party brick wall (not sure if single or double skin),
and directly above what I believe to be a transverse structural wall
supporting the joists. The joists are boarded, look to be about 100mm thick
and run parallel with the wall. I intend to convert the loft in the future,
which must involve the joists becoming considerably thicker. (Possibly
doubling in thickness).

How should I mount the cylinder? Should I rest it on the floor on a wooden
pedestal that can be removed/or made smaller when the floor becomes thicker?
Will this take the weight? Should I involve the wall in the mounting at all?
I could mount one mounting plate of the pedestal to the wall and have the
other end resting on the floor. Is this a good or bad idea? Should I strap
it to the wall for restraint? Should I use gallows brackets and forget about
using the floor?

Christian.