DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Siting of panels for solar water heating (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/182863-siting-panels-solar-water-heating.html)

Mary Fisher November 25th 06 02:53 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:36:56 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

This is complete and utter bull****.

Excellent, more personal abuse.

Fortnightly bin collections are not acceptable.

Ah, proof by assertion.

As others have said, experience seems to be that switching to
collection of residual waste once a fortnight initially causes loud
complaints by some, but the silent majority have no problem with it.

I'm happy to be loud.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FORTNIGHTLY BIN COLLECTIONS!

Mary

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Mary Fisher November 25th 06 02:56 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

"John Beardmore" wrote in message

I'd settle for 3 licensed operators with each having a different
collection day on a given street.

OK - by this implies that there will be a licensing process and tendering
process to select the three.

More bureaucracy.

And more emissions.

Mary

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:28 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 11:56:52 +0000, David Hansen
said:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 02:41:34 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
:-

Has still to propose, in some detail, something better.

I don't *have* to anything.

There are already plenty of ideas; the most obvious of which is to take
the local authorities out of the food chain.

Hardly a detailed proposal for what should replace them.

I didn't set out to provide a detailed proposal - simply an outline of
what obviously needs to be done.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:30 PM

On 2006-11-25 12:49:59 +0000, John Beardmore said:

I think you'll find there is more than one solution.

One might be for you to sort your own waste in a responsible way.

That's not necessary or interesting to do. I already pay for a
refusal disposal service - I don't therefore expect to have to do half
the job myself.

Of course if FoE and others would like to volunteer to go and sift
through the stuff at waste transfer stations on Sunday afternoons, I'd
have no objection at all.

No doubt you would be willing to exploit them, but I doubt they'd have
time to sort through all the waste people like you produce and can't be
bothered to sort themselves.

Too busy with more buckets of greenwash?

I might even buy them a packet of biscuits at Christmas.

Good to see such a responsible attitude !

They'll have to separate the packaging themselves, though.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:35 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2006-11-25 13:31:56 +0000, David Hansen
said:

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:27:46 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

When things are different in different places some people whine
about how it should all be standardised to avoid confusion. However,
when things are standardised the same people whine about how they
are straight jacketed by a centrally imposed system.

Which means that the solution is for everything to go into one
collection container and for it to be sorted by those being paid to do
it.

That is one solution, though even then there are two options about
where the sorting is done.

The first option is the Stalinst one of a central "facility" at
which to do the sorting. I assume this is the option you are in
favour of. Sorting out compostable and other waste at such a
"facility" is a rather dirty operation.

I didn't mention Uncle Joe - you did.

I really don't care whether it's a centralised or decentralised
facility. I pay for a disposal service and I expect the supplier of
that to deal with these issues. That's what I'm paying them to do.

The second option is to do the sorting at the container, with staff
sorting the contents of the container into a multi-compartment
vehicle. If one provides a separate bin for compostable waste, which
is taken off separately to a composter, then the sorting operation
is very much less dirty. One could then provide two containers, to
be collected on alternate weeks. One container is the one for
residual waste and one for recyclable waste. The second option seems
a lot better to me.

I really don't mind what they do. I expect to be able to put out all
of the rubbish, each week, and for it all to be collected. I don't
expect to do half the job of the refuse collector.

I may wish to use some material from the garden to make compost for the
garden, but don't expect to be compelled to do so.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:39 PM

On 2006-11-25 12:51:39 +0000, Huge said:

I do wonder if the State is that marvellous, why it isn't prepared
to compete against private enterprise.

Because it knows full well that it can't. The culture and level of
competence means that it has to overstaff and to bring in large amounts
of outside consulting etc. to achieve the requirements. The inevitable
result is overpricing and poor quality. The only way to defend that is
not to have any competition so that people have no comparison points.

And in this particualr case, there's no reason whatsoever why the
local Council shouldn't sell a "Home Care" package that people could
choose to buy or not, as they wish.

Absolutely.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:41 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2006-11-25 13:34:39 +0000, David Hansen
said:

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:03:30 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

Of course people can arrange their own waste collection agreements
in exactly the same way that they buy food, gas, electricity, telecommunication
and most other commodities.

People tend not to consider these things too carefully. Rather they
stick with what they know. The number of people who have not
switched gas and electricity suppliers is a case in point. Many
people have better things to do with their lives than switch
suppliers.

Agreed. It's something that I spend ten minutes on max. once a year.

If local authorities wished to license themselves as one of the
options, then that would be fine, so long as it's an optional service
and the customer can choose to by elsewhere and not pay for the council
product.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:45 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
In message , Andy Hall writes
In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 00:52:39 +0000, John Beardmore said:

Why can't I opt out of the payments if I don't want to buy the service,
but choose my own while still complying with the EPA (above)?
Same reason you can't opt out of buying Trident but keep a few
grenades under the kitchen sink I guess.
Different issue I think.
A parallel one I think.

Not really.

Well - no doubt anybody reading this will understand the analogy and
recognise the extent of its limitations.

That's good, because there's little to compare between domestic refuse
collection and the defence of the nation.

Perhaps there is another clause saying that the local authority or its
representative is the only "authorised person"
No - it's to do with having waste transfer licenses.
Fine, so no need for a restriction.
Well - you seem keen to have three players selected to provide the
service. That's hardly unfettered capitalism. There will certainly be
people kept out of what you claim is a very lucrative market.

Three was a number chosen as being sufficient to have competition. It
could be ten, or an unlimited number.

The economic equation is smple enough Today, I pay £X to the local
authority of which an amount goes for rubbish collection. The local
authority subcontracts to a private firm to do the work but in addition
employs a large department of people who are supposed to be
administering it, but in practice do very little of any value. The
private firm still makes a profit or it would not be doing the work. If
the unnecessary overhead of the local authority is taken out of the
loop, the firm can do more for the same money or deliver the same for
less money.

Unless the LA have a useful QA function. Depends how much you trust
the private contractors to do it right if unpoliced.

That could be done by a very small number of people or could also be
outsourced to an independent private organisation.

The only people to lose out would be the bureaucrats in the local
authority who aren't adding any value in the first place. They should
view it as an opportunity to find something gainful to do. That would
be a benefit to them as well as to the population as a whole.

Maybe in some instances, but I'm not convinced it's true in the general case.

You haven't met many local authority employees, have you....?

Perhaps the authority chooses not to use multiple contractors and to
offer the customer a choice.
It might have discretion to do that. I'm still not convinced it would
result in better service or greater efficiency.
Competition almost always results in the customer getting what they
want at the right price.
I want an electron microscope for 50p.
Almost...

Check out your local Aldi. They are bound to have a Christmas offer on
one. Just for you. Just today.

I doubt it.

So try Lidl - they may have

Andy Hall November 25th 06 03:49 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2006-11-25 13:37:53 +0000, David Hansen
said:

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:17:03 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

No it isn't. The comment was about the statement being complete and
utter bull****, not the person
who made it. Of course if you wish to feel inadequate because you
made it, that's your affair.

Excellent, mind reading as well.

How you arrive at that conclusion from what I wrote, I have no idea......

Don't take up mind reading for a
living, you aren't very good at it.

I have no intention of doing so, so the matter doesn't arise.

As others have said, experience seems to be that switching to
collection of residual waste once a fortnight initially causes loud
complaints by some, but the silent majority have no problem with it.

It may be where you live.

Ah, another attempt at personalisation.

I wasn't writing about you, I was writing about where you live.

My comment has nothing to do
with where I live, rather it relates to a couple of postings by
others in this thread.

That's OK then - so basically a couple of postings in a newsgroup
takes us to the inevitable conclusion that the silent majority have no
problem with poor service?

This must mean that since a cow is a four legged animal, all four
legged animals must be cows....

John Beardmore November 25th 06 04:47 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 11:56:52 +0000, David Hansen
said:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 02:41:34 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
:-

Has still to propose, in some detail, something better.
I don't *have* to anything.
There are already plenty of ideas; the most obvious of which is to
take the local authorities out of the food chain.

Hardly a detailed proposal for what should replace them.

I didn't set out to provide a detailed proposal -

Indeed.

simply an outline of what obviously needs to be done.

Yes - it is an outline, but until the details are known, it's not
obviously better than the situation we have now.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 04:52 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"John Beardmore" wrote in message

How much energy is used raising a moderate amount of water to say 55
degrees, (and the tail end of the washing up water will probably do !),
as
opposed to melting glass ?

55C ???? That's VERY hot for washing up - unnecessarily so.

But with a solar water heat very little energy need be used to get water
hot
enough for washing up.

Yes - I'm inclined to agree, but people do get very up tight about
Legionella.

They do, without considering that Legionella has to get into the system to
be a problem.

I understand it's fairly ubiquitous, but normally prevented from
building up or killed by copper concentration, lack of nutrients, and
being washed through the system.

This concern has a huge energy cost.

Some cooks seem keen to have washing up water hot enough to blister skin
too...

I know. And then wear gloves to protect their hands from it.

Daft I call it.

:) As an IOSH member I couldn't possibly comment !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 05:11 PM

On 2006-11-25 12:49:59 +0000, John Beardmore said:

I think you'll find there is more than one solution.
One might be for you to sort your own waste in a responsible way.

That's not necessary

Not necessary in the same sense as eating or breathing.

Perhaps necessary in the same sense as not cutting down all the trees.

or interesting to do.

Many things that we need to do to survive are not hugely interesting.

I already pay for a refusal disposal service - I don't therefore
expect to have to do half the job myself.

The requirement has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

Would you rather

1) sort it your self

2) waste a lot of it

or

3) pay to have somebody else do a more difficult and expensive
separation and bill you for it ?

You seem unwilling to consider option 1 and by default do option 2. If
in the end option 3 is imposed on you, I shan't grieve.

Of course if FoE and others would like to volunteer to go and sift
through the stuff at waste transfer stations on Sunday afternoons,
I'd have no objection at all.

No doubt you would be willing to exploit them, but I doubt they'd
have time to sort through all the waste people like you produce and
can't be bothered to sort themselves.

Too busy with more buckets of greenwash?

Even FoE zealots need time off.

I might even buy them a packet of biscuits at Christmas.

Good to see such a responsible attitude !

They'll have to separate the packaging themselves, though.

I'm sure they can manage that.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 05:40 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FORTNIGHTLY BIN COLLECTIONS!

Can we all play ?

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

Mary Fisher November 25th 06 06:15 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

"John Beardmore" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FORTNIGHTLY BIN COLLECTIONS!

Can we all play ?

You have to throw a six to start :-)

changing subject - horrors!

We painted our sittiing room recently (yes, water based environmentally
friendly paint so pure you can put the remains on your compost heap) and I
had to move all the stored board games.

I'd forgotten one, bought in the seventies I think, called POLLUTION. ISTR
that the aim was to trade pollutants ...

Mary

Mary Fisher November 25th 06 06:19 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

"John Beardmore" wrote in message

Some cooks seem keen to have washing up water hot enough to blister skin
too...

I know. And then wear gloves to protect their hands from it.

Daft I call it.

:) As an IOSH member I couldn't possibly comment !

I give in. What's IOSH - Inspectorate of Safety Hazards?

Mary

Mary Fisher November 25th 06 06:22 PM

On 2006-11-25 12:49:59 +0000, John Beardmore
said:

I think you'll find there is more than one solution.
One might be for you to sort your own waste in a responsible way.

That's not necessary

Not necessary in the same sense as eating or breathing.

Perhaps necessary in the same sense as not cutting down all the trees.

or interesting to do.

Many things that we need to do to survive are not hugely interesting.

Especially those things which women traditionally do. Like feed men, clean
up after them and wash their pants.

Unless they have disposable ones of course ...

I already pay for a refusal disposal service - I don't therefore
expect to have to do half the job myself.

It's hardly half!

Andy Hall November 25th 06 06:34 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 11:56:52 +0000, David Hansen
said:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 02:41:34 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
:-

Has still to propose, in some detail, something better.
I don't *have* to anything.
There are already plenty of ideas; the most obvious of which is to
take the local authorities out of the food chain.
Hardly a detailed proposal for what should replace them.

I didn't set out to provide a detailed proposal -

Indeed.

simply an outline of what obviously needs to be done.

Yes - it is an outline, but until the details are known, it's not
obviously better than the situation we have now.

It really isn't rocket science to work out that if one takes out a non
productive cost element from a product or service, it can be delivered
to the customer for less money, or the customer can get more for the
same money.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 06:48 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 12:49:59 +0000, John Beardmore said:

I think you'll find there is more than one solution.
One might be for you to sort your own waste in a responsible way.

That's not necessary

Not necessary in the same sense as eating or breathing.

Perhaps necessary in the same sense as not cutting down all the trees.

Now you are extrapolating into other areas that have nothing to do with
the point being made.

If there is some value in sorting waste (and I think that's highly
questionable in the first place but let's accept it for the moment),
either I can do it or I can pay someone else to do it. I prefer the
latter. The outcome does not depend on whether or not I do it or
someone else does it, therefore it is bogus to suggest that taking
responsibility requires the individual to act directly.

or interesting to do.

Many things that we need to do to survive are not hugely interesting.

... and this is one that I don't even need to do, therefore I am even
less motivated to do it.

I already pay for a refusal disposal service - I don't therefore
expect to have to do half the job myself.

The requirement has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

Who has changed the requirement?

Would you rather

1) sort it your self

2) waste a lot of it

or

3) pay to have somebody else do a more difficult and expensive
separation and bill you for it ?

or 4) develop the technology to do 3) more efficiently such that
1) is unnecessary.

You seem unwilling to consider option 1 and by default do option 2. If
in the end option 3 is imposed on you, I shan't grieve.

There is no need for option 3) to be more expensive provided that
administrative cost savings can be made and suitable technology is
developed.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 06:52 PM

On 2006-11-25 17:44:41 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
There still is 20p deposit on Barr's Irn-Bru bottles. I have about £4's
worth under the sink as Emergency Savings.

I don't seem to see them here - only plastic bottles. Perhaps only the
sugary version is in glass, or do they do the non sugary one in glass
as well?

Perhaps they only do the glass bottles in Scotland.

It's hard to imagine a non-sugary version of the product.

It certainly exists. I don't know what the sugary one is like because
I only buy non-sugary drinks.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 06:57 PM

On 2006-11-25 17:50:45 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
Why can't I opt out of the payments if I don't want to buy the service,
but choose my own while still complying with the EPA (above)?

You could, if you're a business, because business rates don't include
waste disposal.

That would be a good solution. Unfortunately, typically one is not
permitted to run a business from home, at least not in a way that
secures business rates.

Perhaps there is another clause saying that the local authority or its
representative is the only "authorised person" If so, it's a monopoly.
Perhaps the authority chooses not to use multiple contractors and to
offer the customer a choice. Again a monopoly.

Yup, and not a very good one.

I think my bins have been emptied once in the last five weeks.

At that point, assuming I had already been giving the head of the
department daily dyspepsia for the previous four weeks, I think I would
be delivering the bags of rubbish to the reception of his office and
arranging the press to be in attendance.

[email protected] November 25th 06 07:23 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

Andy Hall wrote:

The simple solution would be for an arrangement that each company
collects in different areas on different days.

That would take a ten year old an afternoon to work out.

That might be why its not done then.

NT

Mary Fisher November 25th 06 07:50 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
And more emissions.

Not necessarily. They could combine it with other service, eg home
shopping delivery. Swap a box of shopping with a box of clean recyclable
waste, and a sealed plastic bag for smelly non-recyclables. Perfectly
hygienic.

I acquire almost all my rubbish from Tesco; they might as well take it
away again.

:-)

I don't get any rubbish from Tesco. Haven't paid them for years.

Mary

Owain

[email protected] November 25th 06 07:53 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

John Beardmore wrote:
In message . com,
writes

Do the council have a monopoly ?

Lets give you another example then, should make it easier to see. Lets
say you were forced to pay for breakfast at a certain eatery on the way
to work, you had to pay whether you used the service or not, and once
you'd paid you cold eat as much and often as you wanted, or not at all.
But you paid the same. Now, having paid, you're likely to eat there.
This is a monopoly in practice. Sure someone else could sell you food,
but since you've already been forced to pay for this place, its
monopolistic. This is how council garbage collection works.

Agreed. But while its an anti competitive practice, it's not strictly a
monopoly I guess.

With a monopoly, if you want the product you have to pay the company.
If you dont want it, you dont pay. With LAs you're forced to pay
regardless. Its worse.

There is a set of people who, in a free market, would invest a little
time energy and money into reducing recycling and self disposing waste,
and just call a private rubbish co on the odd occasion to dispose of a
batch of waste. The state system strongly disincentivises this, it
causes the waste and pollution we see today. AND charges people for the
privilege.

NT

[email protected] November 25th 06 08:27 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

John Beardmore wrote:

I guess to some extent this situation has perhaps arisen to address a
need from an era when the private sector did not offer waste collection
services, but imperfect though the present situation is, I'm not sure
that having three providers working the same streets would be more
efficient, reduce congestion, or otherwise be too smart.

The ones with a cell between their ears would swap client collections
so that it was one company one vehicle at each collection time. This
could be automated by computer easily. Companies that didnt swap for
efficiency would see higher costs, and go out of business.

In any other area private enterprise competes, and working out
solutions to problems is part of that competing. The most successful at
delivering what the customer wants wins.

People running upmarket B&Bs dont want rubbish piling up for 1 or even
2 weeks and ponging. People on benefits dont want to pay for weekly
collections when fortnightly is good enough, and they have more
important things to spend on. Some would consider monthly more than
enough, etc. With choice we can all choose what fits our needs and
wishes, thus delivery of service will be efficient in this respect. LA
collections are simply going to be the wrong product for a significant
proportion of its customers, because they dont give any choices, and
customers circumstances differ.

Also LAs dont predict or satisfy customer wishes adequately. They dont
offer a choice of collection intervals and prices, they dont adress
poor operator behaviour, and they dont strive to improve their service.

With private collection we would see everything from thrice weekly
collections from the rear of your property in a cleanly painted quiet
engined wagon with suited operators in Chelsea to minimum cost
collection every 3 weeks by 17 yr olds employed by PoundGarb company,
who wouldnt stray further than the pavement and wouldnt sort anything.
In each case, the customer gets what they want and choose, and they
choose according to service and price. LAs are so uncompetitive it
never even occurs to them to offer any variation in service at all.

NT

[email protected] November 25th 06 08:35 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

John Beardmore wrote:
In message , Andy Hall writes

Competition almost always results in the customer getting what they
want at the right price.

I want an electron microscope for 50p.

Capitalism expands the options. I was about to say it doesnt create the
imposible, but actually it does, its because of capitalism we have 4G
CPUs today. If computer manufacture were left to LAs we'd still be
using the 286.

Yesterday shredders cost £8 and up. Today they cost £1, and sell,
because someone realised customers wanted them and then managed to work
out how to do it.

LAs dont even try in this respect. They dont even have the skill set.

NT

[email protected] November 25th 06 08:43 PM

wrote this:-

Fortnightly bin collections are not acceptable.

Ah, proof by assertion.

As others have said, experience seems to be that switching to
collection of residual waste once a fortnight initially causes loud
complaints by some, but the silent majority have no problem with it.

You've interviewed a statistically significant sample of them? Or do
you just presume anyone who doesnt complain is ok with it? Most people
dont complain in most instances.

Round here our LA has not questioned people about their rubbish
collection wishes, and there are no collection options, so they have no
way of knowing. There is just about no attempt to giv people what they
want (which implies being wiling to pay for)

NT

John Beardmore November 25th 06 08:44 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"John Beardmore" wrote in message

Some cooks seem keen to have washing up water hot enough to blister skin
too...

I know. And then wear gloves to protect their hands from it.

Daft I call it.

:) As an IOSH member I couldn't possibly comment !

I give in. What's IOSH - Inspectorate of Safety Hazards?

Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 08:45 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 12:42:53 +0000, John Beardmore
In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 11:56:52 +0000, David Hansen
said:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 02:41:34 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall
:-

Has still to propose, in some detail, something better.
I don't *have* to anything.
There are already plenty of ideas; the most obvious of which is
to take the local authorities out of the food chain.
Hardly a detailed proposal for what should replace them.
I didn't set out to provide a detailed proposal -

Indeed.

simply an outline of what obviously needs to be done.

Yes - it is an outline, but until the details are known, it's not
obviously better than the situation we have now.

It really isn't rocket science to work out that if one takes out a non
productive cost element from a product or service, it can be delivered
to the customer for less money, or the customer can get more for the
same money.

Indeed, though we differ in that you believe that the LA layer
contributes nothing, and having seen it up close, I'm not sure I agree.

Without seeing what you propose in detail, I can't say if you cover all
the bases or not.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

On 2006-11-25 12:49:59 +0000, John Beardmore
said:

I think you'll find there is more than one solution.
One might be for you to sort your own waste in a responsible way.

That's not necessary

Not necessary in the same sense as eating or breathing.

Perhaps necessary in the same sense as not cutting down all the trees.

or interesting to do.

Many things that we need to do to survive are not hugely interesting.

Especially those things which women traditionally do. Like feed men,

:) All in favour say 'Aye' !

clean
up after them

:) You might think that - I couldn't possibly comment.

and wash their pants.

:) Terrible thing those pants...

Unless they have disposable ones of course ...

They'd have to be compostable...

I already pay for a refusal disposal service - I don't therefore
expect to have to do half the job myself.

It's hardly half!

Agreed !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

Andy Hall November 25th 06 09:08 PM

On 2006-11-25 20:45:46 +0000, John Beardmore said:

In message , Andy Hall writes

It really isn't rocket science to work out that if one takes out a non
productive cost element from a product or service, it can be delivered
to the customer for less money, or the customer can get more for the
same money.

Indeed, though we differ in that you believe that the LA layer
contributes nothing, and having seen it up close, I'm not sure I agree.

I've seen enough to be able to see that if many of the people were
doing equivalent jobs in the private sector, they would be out of the
door. Standards are very disappointing among LA employees from my
observations.

Without seeing what you propose in detail, I can't say if you cover all
the bases or not.

There isn't a need to cover all of the bases. Only those that actually
make a difference.

John Beardmore November 25th 06 09:36 PM

On 2006-11-25 20:45:46 +0000, John Beardmore said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
It really isn't rocket science to work out that if one takes out a
non productive cost element from a product or service, it can be
delivered to the customer for less money, or the customer can get
more for the same money.

Indeed, though we differ in that you believe that the LA layer
contributes nothing, and having seen it up close, I'm not sure I agree.

I've seen enough to be able to see that if many of the people were
doing equivalent jobs in the private sector, they would be out of the
door. Standards are very disappointing among LA employees from my
observations.

Yes - there are some sad fossils, but we're going round in circles
here. I won't bother to reiterate my view. Just take it as read that
we'll have to agree to differ.

Without seeing what you propose in detail, I can't say if you cover
all the bases or not.

There isn't a need to cover all of the bases. Only those that actually
make a difference.

I have the feeling that we'd draw up different lists. Nothing wrong in
that per se, but I would want to see what you propose in detail before
I'd consider voting for it.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 09:48 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"John Beardmore" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"John Beardmore" wrote in message

Some cooks seem keen to have washing up water hot enough to blister
skin
too...

I know. And then wear gloves to protect their hands from it.

Daft I call it.

:) As an IOSH member I couldn't possibly comment !

I give in. What's IOSH - Inspectorate of Safety Hazards?

Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.

I was close :-)

Yes - I don't inspect things, though occasionally audit them. That's
more on the energy side than health and safety though.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 09:50 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Owain
writes
John Beardmore wrote:
Competition almost always results in the customer getting what they
want at the right price.

I want an electron microscope for 50p.
Almost...

Have you tried those police auction websites?

No. Do they often have EMs ? I do know somebody who got an SEM for £50
which worked after a fairly trivial fix. I'd go for that...

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 09:58 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message . com,
writes
John Beardmore wrote:
In message , Andy Hall writes

Competition almost always results in the customer getting what they
want at the right price.

I want an electron microscope for 50p.

Capitalism expands the options. I was about to say it doesnt create the
imposible, but actually it does, its because of capitalism we have 4G
CPUs today. If computer manufacture were left to LAs we'd still be
using the 286.

On the other hand, it's only because of micrsoft that we need 4G
processors for writing letters.

What we write makes no more sense and is of little more consequence than
it was when we wrote them on Z80 based systems !

Progress should not be the only game in town if it doesn't make what we
do any more effective.

Yesterday shredders cost £8 and up. Today they cost £1, and sell,
because someone realised customers wanted them and then managed to work
out how to do it.

LAs dont even try in this respect. They dont even have the skill set.

Actually I think they do in many cases. One thing LAs are good at is
training, but where they fail is in not letting people take risks to
innovate. Staff often know what the problems are, but are powerless to
do much about them within the LA political framework.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

Andy Hall November 25th 06 10:00 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 20:45:46 +0000, John Beardmore said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
It really isn't rocket science to work out that if one takes out a non
productive cost element from a product or service, it can be delivered
to the customer for less money, or the customer can get more for the
same money.
Indeed, though we differ in that you believe that the LA layer
contributes nothing, and having seen it up close, I'm not sure I agree.

I've seen enough to be able to see that if many of the people were
doing equivalent jobs in the private sector, they would be out of the
door. Standards are very disappointing among LA employees from my
observations.

Yes - there are some sad fossils, but we're going round in circles here.

I haven't changed my position.

I won't bother to reiterate my view. Just take it as read that we'll
have to agree to differ.

OK. You wouldn't be an LA employee would you?

Without seeing what you propose in detail, I can't say if you cover
all the bases or not.

There isn't a need to cover all of the bases. Only those that actually
make a difference.

I have the feeling that we'd draw up different lists. Nothing wrong in
that per se, but I would want to see what you propose in detail before
I'd consider voting for it.

Certainly the whole issue should be made democratic. Currently, we
vote periodically for people entrusted to do our bidding. I don't
think that that is granular enough. In the area we've been
discussing, there is little to no democracy at all.

So.... why not make it so. For the local authority elections, it
would be a simple matter to put different implementation alternatives
on the ballot papers as well as the candidates.

In other words, people who want to have a green package involving all
the things you've described can vote for that. People who want the
cheapest service can vote for it. Those who want a higher level of
service and are willing to pay a little more *as long as it is
delivered* can vote for that.

The outcome would be interesting. My guess is that where I am, the
percentages would be about 25/50/25 of the turn out respectively -
bearing in mind that local elections are never well attended.

This was why I came to the conclusion that it makes much more sense to
allow people to buy the level of service they want, according to their
circumstances and priorities.

Andy Hall November 25th 06 10:02 PM

On 2006-11-25 21:50:32 +0000, John Beardmore said:

In message , Owain
writes
John Beardmore wrote:
Competition almost always results in the customer getting what they
want at the right price.
I want an electron microscope for 50p.
Almost...

Have you tried those police auction websites?

No. Do they often have EMs ? I do know somebody who got an SEM for
£50 which worked after a fairly trivial fix. I'd go for that...

But what would you use it for?

John Beardmore November 25th 06 10:05 PM

Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"John Beardmore" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FORTNIGHTLY BIN COLLECTIONS!

Can we all play ?

You have to throw a six to start :-)

Good job I didn't ! I'd just found /usr/games/banner on the Linux
box...

changing subject - horrors!

We painted our sittiing room recently (yes, water based environmentally
friendly paint so pure you can put the remains on your compost heap)

Hmmm... Very consistent with 'Directive 2004/42/CE on the limitation of
VOCs due to the use of organic solvents in certain paints and varnishes'
!

and I
had to move all the stored board games.

I'd forgotten one, bought in the seventies I think, called POLLUTION. ISTR
that the aim was to trade pollutants ...

EU ETS here we come !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 10:19 PM

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 20:45:46 +0000, John Beardmore
said:

In message , Andy Hall
writes
It really isn't rocket science to work out that if one takes out
non productive cost element from a product or service, it can be
delivered to the customer for less money, or the customer can get
more for the same money.
Indeed, though we differ in that you believe that the LA layer
contributes nothing, and having seen it up close, I'm not sure I agree.
I've seen enough to be able to see that if many of the people were
doing equivalent jobs in the private sector, they would be out of the
door. Standards are very disappointing among LA employees from my
observations.

Yes - there are some sad fossils, but we're going round in circles
here.

I haven't changed my position.

Nor have I.

I won't bother to reiterate my view. Just take it as read that
we'll have to agree to differ.

OK. You wouldn't be an LA employee would you?

No - and wouldn't want to be.

Without seeing what you propose in detail, I can't say if you
cover all the bases or not.
There isn't a need to cover all of the bases. Only those that
actually make a difference.

I have the feeling that we'd draw up different lists. Nothing wrong
in that per se, but I would want to see what you propose in detail
before I'd consider voting for it.

Certainly the whole issue should be made democratic. Currently, we
vote periodically for people entrusted to do our bidding. I don't
think that that is granular enough.

Agreed.

In the area we've been discussing, there is little to no democracy
at all.

In fact, there is no democracy in most areas. Saying 'left a bit' or
'right a bit' every few years doesn't come close.

So.... why not make it so. For the local authority elections, it
would be a simple matter to put different implementation alternatives
on the ballot papers as well as the candidates.

Yes - but as LAs deal with so many issues waste would be lost in the
noise. You really need voting on a per issue basis, including consent
to pay - otherwise people will vote for micro budget with macro
deliverables.

In other words, people who want to have a green package involving all
the things you've described can vote for that. People who want the
cheapest service can vote for it. Those who want a higher level of
service and are willing to pay a little more *as long as it is
delivered* can vote for that.

The outcome would be interesting. My guess is that where I am, the
percentages would be about 25/50/25 of the turn out respectively -
bearing in mind that local elections are never well attended.

You may be right, though I'd be quite happy to take the less sustainable
options off the agenda.

In other words, you can pick a rate of collection, the uniform the
people that collect ware etc, but your waste will be separated. Either
you will do it or you will be billed for its having been done.

This was why I came to the conclusion that it makes much more sense to
allow people to buy the level of service they want, according to their
circumstances and priorities.

I'm not sure that meeting minimum environmental standards should be
optional, but above, we seem to confusing voting for a particular single
solution and allowing people to choose from a palette of solutions.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

John Beardmore November 25th 06 10:22 PM

On 2006-11-25 21:50:32 +0000, John Beardmore said:

In message , Owain
writes
John Beardmore wrote:
Competition almost always results in the customer getting what
they want at the right price.
I want an electron microscope for 50p.
Almost...
Have you tried those police auction websites?

No. Do they often have EMs ? I do know somebody who got an SEM for
£50 which worked after a fairly trivial fix. I'd go for that...

But what would you use it for?

I never had any trouble finding interesting things to do with a decent
optical microscope. Another three orders of magnitude magnification
shouldn't make the world any less interesting ! Think of it as a
leisure activity, but I might find the odd commercial use.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore