DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which magnetic dish for home mechanic? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/182607-magnetic-dish-home-mechanic.html)

Susan P November 14th 06 09:17 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

On 05 Nov 2006, Guy King wrote:

What I'd like 'cos I left mine behind when I stopped working, is a
magnetic dish to keep bits in. Splendid device.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...80&ts=51163&id
=1 3203

In another thread Guy King and "Mr 6" kindly recommended a magnetic
dish as a good tool for someone who fixes cars at home.

I looked about and saw there were quite a few different magnetic
dishes available. Now I'm confused!

Is the simple Draper magnetic bowl (MPT) good enough or is it worth
gping for one which is larger or one which ismade of stainless steel
or one which works vertically?

DRAPER BOWLS AND TRAYS
models MPT, MPT/2 and MPT4:
http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/Pagesource/p86.pdf

DRAPER VERTICAL MAGNETIC TRAY
models MPT6, etc
http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/Pagesource/p302.pdf

VARIOUS SEALEY MAGNETIC COLLECTORS
several models AK231X
http://tinyurl.com/wkqdd

OTHERS
At Screwfix: http://tinyurl.com/y9dj8m (Is this by Sealey?)

Guy King November 14th 06 09:59 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

The message
from Susan P contains these words:

Is the simple Draper magnetic bowl (MPT) good enough or is it worth
gping for one which is larger or one which ismade of stainless steel
or one which works vertically?

As far as I know they'll all work vertically. I'd go for the larger
unless it's unreasonably expensive. Stainless is always a good idea.

--
Skipweasel

Stephen Leak November 14th 06 10:28 PM

Susan P wrote:
On 05 Nov 2006, Guy King wrote:

[...]

Personally, I would be overjoyed to receive the simple Draper MPT -
Draper are a highly reputable brand, which shows that you've put a lot
of thought into this, and not just gone to the local "pound shop".

The angled MPT3 is tempting, but I just know that I would try to lob
things into it which, with my dodgy hand-to-eye co-ordination, would
end up with even more bits and pieces getting lost than now!

Stephen Leak.

One ring spanner to rule them all ...

Andy Dingley November 14th 06 10:37 PM

Susan P wrote:

I looked about and saw there were quite a few different magnetic
dishes available. Now I'm confused!

They're all stainless, they're all magnetic, and nowadays they nearly
all have a scratch resistant base. Just get one.

Alternatively they're the worst things ever invented (for long-term
projects) and encourage sloppy working and leaving parts lying around
indefinitely. A pack of ziploc freezer bags and a marker pen is a much
better habit to get into.

Guy King November 14th 06 10:45 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

The message . com
from "Stephen Leak" contains these words:

One ring spanner to rule them all ...

Dance then, wherever you may be,
for I am the Lord of the Rings, said he.

(there, that's an earworm for you)

--
Skipweasel

Adrian November 14th 06 11:16 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

Stephen Leak ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Personally, I would be overjoyed to receive the simple Draper MPT -
Draper are a highly reputable brand, which shows that you've put a lot
of thought into this, and not just gone to the local "pound shop".

Draper is the brand that our local DIY shop tends to fill their "Half Price
Offer!" bins with... It *used* to be a very reputable brand, but it's not
quite so blue-chip any more.

A magnetic bowl is a magnetic bowl, though...

Tunku November 14th 06 11:57 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

Susan P wrote in news:Xns987BCE7F5F4F3D5E712@
127.0.0.1:

In another thread Guy King and "Mr 6" kindly recommended a magnetic
dish as a good tool for someone who fixes cars at home.

I looked about and saw there were quite a few different magnetic
dishes available. Now I'm confused!

Is the simple Draper magnetic bowl (MPT) good enough or is it worth
going for one which is larger or one which is made of stainless steel
or one which works vertically?

All I can add, is I wish my wife thought like you. A magnetic dish would
save her from standing beside my car as I ask for a tool from underneath
it. :-)

--
Tunku

"end user" v. A command regrettably not implemented in most systems.

Tunku November 15th 06 12:05 AM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

"Andy Dingley " wrote in
ups.com:

A pack of ziploc freezer bags and a marker pen is a much
better habit to get into.

I'm not going to get in the habit of storing car parts in the freezer for
anyone, although I have been known to use the oven and dishwasher for car
related work. For some reason, the wife isn't too keen on that though.

shazzbat November 15th 06 12:00 PM

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Stephen Leak" contains these words:

One ring spanner to rule them all ...

Dance then, wherever you may be,
for I am the Lord of the Rings, said he.

(there, that's an earworm for you)

I can no longer play vinyl, so the old Corries albums are safe in the loft
for now :-}

Steve

Grimly Curmudgeon November 15th 06 07:01 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

drugs began to take hold. I remember "shazzbat"
saying something like:

I can no longer play vinyl, so the old Corries albums are safe in the loft
for now :-}

The thought of the cast of Corrie doing Lord of the Dance fills me with
dread.
--

Dave

Guy King November 15th 06 09:06 PM

Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

I can no longer play vinyl, so the old Corries albums are safe in the loft
for now :-}

The thought of the cast of Corrie doing Lord of the Dance fills me with
dread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

--
Skipweasel