Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stained cracks in ceiling

I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.
- There is no sign of damp in the room above, or on the external wall.
The ceiling doesn't feel damp.
- There is no down pipe in the vicinity
- There are one or two places where the vertical mortar lines are
missing (any one got a circular tuit going spare?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Would you have cracks all over your face if you was 100 years old?

The brown stains is a tell tale sign that water is getting in somewhere as
the water is mixing with the sh*ite under the floorboards.

this is quite common with baywindow areas when leaking.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.
- There is no sign of damp in the room above, or on the external wall.
The ceiling doesn't feel damp.
- There is no down pipe in the vicinity
- There are one or two places where the vertical mortar lines are
missing (any one got a circular tuit going spare?)

As has been said these are water stains. The only way we managed to paint
over was by using an primer or oil based paint to seal them and then
emulsion over the top. Emulsion alone of any thickness was not successful.
Deal with the water ingress (which may be old and dealt with already).

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.

That really surprises me. Have you asked F&B about your problem? We always
find them very helpful and free with advice.

We painted the sitting room with discoloured cracked ceilings and walls with
F&B water based emulsion. There is no evidence of stain now.

(any one got a circular tuit going spare?)

Sorry, all ours are waiting to be used.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.

That's why it went out of use half a century ago. Apart from fine art
restoration, I don't think it has a use these days.

- There is no sign of damp in the room above, or on the external wall.
The ceiling doesn't feel damp.

Just as well. Casein stinks to high heaven if it gets wet. I doubt F&B
would have put anything as modern as a preservative in there.

- There is no down pipe in the vicinity
- There are one or two places where the vertical mortar lines are
missing (any one got a circular tuit going spare?)

As already suggested, any oil based paint should seal it. I use white
undercoat as it's a better key for the emulsion

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hzatph wrote:
[...]

A better solution to the fix is...

Gouge out the surrounding area with a 3 edged profile scraper and fill with
polyfilla and sand down.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.

That's why it went out of use half a century ago. Apart from fine art
restoration, I don't think it has a use these days.

The other options for painting the inside of our mud hut (technically,
it was part clay lump and part timber frame with wattle and daub
infill), were limewash and lime paint - which are even more permeable.

I still feel more comfortable using breathable materials where possible
in this much more modern house.

- There is no sign of damp in the room above, or on the external wall.
The ceiling doesn't feel damp.

Just as well. Casein stinks to high heaven if it gets wet.

That strikes me as a GOOD thing. It would act as an effective early
warning system for damp.

As already suggested, any oil based paint should seal it. I use white
undercoat as it's a better key for the emulsion

Right. The general consensus is:
1. Check carefully for damp problems.
2. If any found, fix them.
3. Seal remaining stains with oil based paint, and overpaint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov 2006 05:48:54 -0800, "Martin Bonner"
wrote:

I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.
- There is no sign of damp in the room above, or on the external wall.
The ceiling doesn't feel damp.
- There is no down pipe in the vicinity
- There are one or two places where the vertical mortar lines are
missing (any one got a circular tuit going spare?)

Might have been nicotine or smoke stain sealed under previous layers
of paint. Look up stain blocking for nicotine.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
hzatph wrote:
[...]

IME the stains will bleed through anything water based, including filler
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

Pretty much anything you can paint on a wall breathes. We'd all
suffocate otherwise. Whether you want it to drink is another matter

- There is no sign of damp in the room above, or on the external wall.
The ceiling doesn't feel damp.

Just as well. Casein stinks to high heaven if it gets wet.

That strikes me as a GOOD thing. It would act as an effective early
warning system for damp.

You've obviously never smelt it :-)

As already suggested, any oil based paint should seal it. I use white
undercoat as it's a better key for the emulsion

Right. The general consensus is:
1. Check carefully for damp problems.
2. If any found, fix them.
3. Seal remaining stains with oil based paint, and overpaint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
hzatph wrote:
[...]

Why do you think I said gouge out the surrounding area?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:

Might have been nicotine or smoke stain sealed under previous layers
of paint. Look up stain blocking for nicotine.

cheers,
Pete.

Someone's been standing in the corner quite a long time then. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

There may be body parts hidden under the floorboards of the room above..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart Noble wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

So would I be - and I'd like to know more about yours.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
hzatph wrote:
[...]

You may have to gouge out rather a lot if you're looking for the source
of the stain. Can't see what filler is going to achieve in these
circumstances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
hzatph wrote:
[...]

I agree with Stuart - doesn't help. Salts have been left in the surrounding
damp plaster and these need to be removed (extensive) or sealed. Repairing
the crack itslef is best done as advocated by gouging and filling.

cracks at the ceiling wall joint Rigger UK diy 10 November 9th 06 05:38 PM
Cracks In Ceiling Dick Home Repair 3 November 1st 06 11:10 PM
Hair line cracks on ceiling asalcedo UK diy 8 December 14th 05 07:59 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 03:01 AM
Cracks (?) or weakness in ceiling LRESA500 Home Repair 1 November 2nd 04 10:46 PM