DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Light Sensitive Pendant Fitting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/182571-light-sensitive-pendant-fitting.html)

[email protected] November 14th 06 10:04 AM

Light Sensitive Pendant Fitting

(Apologies if this is a bit O/T)

I'm looking for a light fitting or bulb that's light sensitive to turn
pendant lights on & off when I'm on holiday. I'd like to be able to
chose the number of hours it's on for (I just want it on during the
evening - not dawn to dusk) and it might be useful if I could adjust
the sensitivity.

Homebase do exactly what I'm looking for (it looks like this:
http://www.esp2office.biz/largeImages/0986782.jpg) but they keep
breaking & seem to be oversensitive - they turn on when a cloud passes
over in the middle of the day.

I've tried Maplins, B&Q, Screwfix & my local electrical shop for
something similar - but no joy. Any suggestions?

Michael

Staffbull November 14th 06 11:26 AM

wrote:
(Apologies if this is a bit O/T)

I'm looking for a light fitting or bulb that's light sensitive to turn
pendant lights on & off when I'm on holiday. I'd like to be able to
chose the number of hours it's on for (I just want it on during the
evening - not dawn to dusk) and it might be useful if I could adjust
the sensitivity.

Homebase do exactly what I'm looking for (it looks like this:
http://www.esp2office.biz/largeImages/0986782.jpg) but they keep
breaking & seem to be oversensitive - they turn on when a cloud passes
over in the middle of the day.

I've tried Maplins, B&Q, Screwfix & my local electrical shop for
something similar - but no joy. Any suggestions?

Michael

But no timer facility, you could add a separate timer :-)

Mathew Newton November 14th 06 11:27 AM

wrote:

(Apologies if this is a bit O/T)

I'm looking for a light fitting or bulb that's light sensitive to turn
pendant lights on & off when I'm on holiday. I'd like to be able to
chose the number of hours it's on for (I just want it on during the
evening - not dawn to dusk) and it might be useful if I could adjust
the sensitivity.

Homebase do exactly what I'm looking for (it looks like this:
http://www.esp2office.biz/largeImages/0986782.jpg) but they keep
breaking & seem to be oversensitive - they turn on when a cloud passes
over in the middle of the day.

I've tried Maplins, B&Q, Screwfix & my local electrical shop for
something similar - but no joy. Any suggestions?

Michael

We've got a couple of exactly the type you've pictured and found them
to be perfect - the 'random' feature is particularly useful whilst
away.

I wouldn't worry too much about them coming on when a cloud passes over
- remember it's simply measuring the amount of ambient light hence if
it considers it dark enough then it'll switch the light on.... just
like you would if it went a little dark during the day due to cloud
cover.

As you only want it on during the evening then the random function
won't be of use (it operates throughout all periods of darkness)
however the timer function should still suffice.

Mathew

[email protected] November 14th 06 12:19 PM

Mathew Newton wrote:
We've got a couple of exactly the type you've pictured and found them
to be perfect

Are yours the Homebase ones? I noticed some on the web that are nearly
£20 - whereas the Homebase ones are under a tenner (IIRC). They
looked exactly the same, but I'm wondering if the Homebase ones are a
cheap imitation.

Steve November 14th 06 12:37 PM

Light Sensitive Pendant Fitting

On 14 Nov 2006 04:19:21 -0800, wrote:

Mathew Newton wrote:
[2 quoted lines suppressed]

Are yours the Homebase ones? I noticed some on the web that are nearly
£20 - whereas the Homebase ones are under a tenner (IIRC). They
looked exactly the same, but I'm wondering if the Homebase ones are a
cheap imitation.

Ive used the argos one, which would be the same as homebase, and it appears
to work okay. It does seem to be a little sensitive but has been working
for ages.

Steve

Mathew Newton November 14th 06 10:43 PM

wrote:

Mathew Newton wrote:
We've got a couple of exactly the type you've pictured and found them
to be perfect

Are yours the Homebase ones? I noticed some on the web that are nearly
£20 - whereas the Homebase ones are under a tenner (IIRC). They
looked exactly the same, but I'm wondering if the Homebase ones are a
cheap imitation.

They are identical to the ones you pictured, but bought from Maplin for
£10.99 (code L93AG).

Mathew