DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   reccomend a self levelling screed for concrete floor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/182452-reccomend-self-levelling-screed-concrete-floor.html)

dog-man November 13th 06 02:24 PM

reccomend a self levelling screed for concrete floor

I am in the process of redoing part of my kitchen / diner concrete
floor.

It is incredibly uneven, so I am going to take away part of the old
concrete floor and renew it. I believe it is past levelling with any
screed. The previous owner must have laid it whilst drunk.

When I have done this, I will need to level it with screed.

Can anyone reccomend a self levelling floor compound that is easy to
use and to obtain?

I have never done this before, so is it really self levelling if I just
spread it as evenly as possible?

Steve.......

The Natural Philosopher November 13th 06 02:36 PM

dog-man wrote:
I am in the process of redoing part of my kitchen / diner concrete
floor.

It is incredibly uneven, so I am going to take away part of the old
concrete floor and renew it. I believe it is past levelling with any
screed. The previous owner must have laid it whilst drunk.

When I have done this, I will need to level it with screed.

Can anyone reccomend a self levelling floor compound that is easy to
use and to obtain?

I have never done this before, so is it really self levelling if I just
spread it as evenly as possible?

It isn't self levelling.

It is self smoothing though.

By best thought would be - if I did it again - to remove any scrappy
stuff, and then get some thin battens - 1/4" maybe, and some bits of ply
to pack it up with, and lay a grid of strips on the floor all dead level
with a spirit level to true it up.

THEN use your compound, scarping it off thee strip tops with a piece of
scrap batten. Float it even.

When set, remove battens and fill in the 'ditches'

Steve.......

Stuart Noble November 13th 06 03:11 PM

dog-man wrote:
I am in the process of redoing part of my kitchen / diner concrete
floor.

It is incredibly uneven, so I am going to take away part of the old
concrete floor and renew it. I believe it is past levelling with any
screed. The previous owner must have laid it whilst drunk.

When I have done this, I will need to level it with screed.

Can anyone reccomend a self levelling floor compound that is easy to
use and to obtain?

I have never done this before, so is it really self levelling if I just
spread it as evenly as possible?

Steve.......

Unless you have a damp problem, you really don't need a latex screed,
which is expensive and not that easy to use.
I've used pre-mixed general purpose mortar with 4 water: 1 pva for this
and it holds well at the edges.
Getting the floor smooth is pretty straightforward with a length of
timber. Getting it level is not so easy and can give you problems at
doorways etc

Michael Chare November 14th 06 12:57 AM

dog-man wrote:
[...]

I did something like this using B&Q self levelling compound, which appeared to
be a rebrand of the Evostick product.

I then laid 33cm square tiles.

--

Michael Chare