Old November 13th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.security.doityourself

Default how to remove one-way screws?

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:38:50 UTC, mike wrote:

I think because you apply the wist at the same time as you wallop the bit
into the head.

There hasn't been much my impact driver won't shift.!

Incidentally is the impact driver the correct name - it seems also to be
used for the air and electric ones?

Yes. In fact, these tools were known by that name long before the air
and electric ones, AFAIK. There was an extensive discussion on the topic
here, a while ago. As apart of that discussion, I produced a picture of
my ancient one...it's still there...

http://www.tavi.co.uk/impact.jpg

Old November 14th 06, 03:31 AM posted to alt.security.doityourself,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought a bungalow, with locks on most windows. I can't remove a
window to repair it, without removing the window lock first.
It has 2 one-way screws fixing it to the window frame. I can't
drill into the screws, as they are a hardened metal. I tried
gluing a screwdriver the the screwhead with epoxy resin, but that
didn't work. I could attack the lock with an angle grinder, but
I know that will make a mess, and require putting lots of protective
covering in place first.
Any other ideas?

There is a socket wrench type reverse driver for these screws. It looks like
an S shaped slot in the socket. I received one when I bought a box of one
way screws for a window guard installation. I imagine any well supplied
hardware store that sells one way screws would have what you need.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Old November 15th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.security.doityourself

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-
:

There was an extensive discussion on the topic
here, a while ago. As apart of that discussion, I produced a picture of
my ancient one...it's still there...

http://www.tavi.co.uk/impact.jpg

Wow - t's just like my (trying to remember) mid siixties one) which is
still going strong.

But it was "made in Taiwan".....

mike
Old November 15th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.security.doityourself,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:49:19 UTC, mike wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-
:

There was an extensive discussion on the topic
here, a while ago. As apart of that discussion, I produced a picture of
my ancient one...it's still there...

http://www.tavi.co.uk/impact.jpg

Wow - t's just like my (trying to remember) mid siixties one) which is
still going strong.

That's mid sixties too...I bought it to undo the engine casing screws on
my Honda CB72...!

But it was "made in Taiwan".....

Mine's a Draper - don't know where they were made at that time.

Old November 16th 06, 01:11 AM posted to alt.security.doityourself,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-
:

That's mid sixties too...I bought it to undo the engine casing screws on
my Honda CB72...!

I knoooow... those poxy cross-heads

mike
Old November 16th 06, 01:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.security.doityourself

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:11:22 UTC, mike wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-
:

That's mid sixties too...I bought it to undo the engine casing screws on
my Honda CB72...!

I knoooow... those poxy cross-heads

Changed 'em for Allen screws - I suspect most people did...!

Avenue Supplies,
http://avenuesupplies.co.uk
Old November 16th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.security.doityourself

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

That's mid sixties too...I bought it to undo the engine casing
screws on my Honda CB72...!

I knoooow... those poxy cross-heads

Changed 'em for Allen screws - I suspect most people did...!

Yup - but on a Bretta 200, they _still - vibrated out of the silencer (har,
har) mounts

mike

Old November 16th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.security.doityourself

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

That's mid sixties too...I bought it to undo the engine casing screws on
my Honda CB72...!

I knoooow... those poxy cross-heads

Changed 'em for Allen screws - I suspect most people did...!

You often only got one chance to undo the sodding things, so replacing
them first time was a smart move.

--
Skipweasel