DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wiring Strain Relief (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/181276-wiring-strain-relief.html)

TheOldFellow November 2nd 06 07:59 PM

Wiring Strain Relief

See http://www.langside.f2s.com/web-oso.jpg

This shows my new unvented cyclinder. I want to wire in the Immersion
Heater before next summer :-)

The Oftec fitter wired in the thermostat using heat resistant flex and a
white plastic "strain relief" or maybe it's a "gland". Where can I get one
like it? Nothing on TLC looks the same.

R.

Andy Wade November 3rd 06 12:55 AM

Wiring Strain Relief

TheOldFellow wrote:

See http://www.langside.f2s.com/web-oso.jpg
[...]
The Oftec fitter wired in the thermostat using heat resistant flex and a
white plastic "strain relief" or maybe it's a "gland". Where can I get one
like it? Nothing on TLC looks the same.

That looks like a Heyco strain relief bush. Heyco are now part of
Anixter Components, so try
http://www.anixtercomponents.com/all...l &language=2
(look at the "straight-thru" bushes).

Heyco bushes can be quite a fiddle to fit if you haven't got the magic
tool, so a conventional stuffing gland - like wot Owain suggested -
might be a better bet in any case.

--
Andy

TheOldFellow November 3rd 06 08:57 AM

Wiring Strain Relief

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 00:55:03 +0000, Andy Wade wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:

See http://www.langside.f2s.com/web-oso.jpg [...]
The Oftec fitter wired in the thermostat using heat resistant flex and
a white plastic "strain relief" or maybe it's a "gland". Where can I
get one like it? Nothing on TLC looks the same.

That looks like a Heyco strain relief bush. Heyco are now part of
Anixter Components, so try
http://www.anixtercomponents.com/all...l &language=2
(look at the "straight-thru" bushes).

Heyco bushes can be quite a fiddle to fit if you haven't got the magic
tool, so a conventional stuffing gland - like wot Owain suggested -
might be a better bet in any case.

Yes, that looks like it, thanks. Pity I'd have to buy 200, when I want 1
though! But at least now I can go into my friendly local electrical
warehouse and ask a sensible question ("'er mate, 'ave yer got any 'eyco
strain reliefs?" - actually the Cumbrian equivalent, but I can't spell it
yet) - I hate looking like the amateur I really am.

R.

stevelup November 3rd 06 11:12 AM

Wiring Strain Relief

TheOldFellow wrote:
See http://www.langside.f2s.com/web-oso.jpg

This shows my new unvented cyclinder. I want to wire in the Immersion
Heater before next summer :-)

The Oftec fitter wired in the thermostat using heat resistant flex and a
white plastic "strain relief" or maybe it's a "gland". Where can I get one
like it? Nothing on TLC looks the same.

R.

Hi

Try part number 543-894 at rswww.com (it's not possible to link
directly - sorry).

They are meant to be inserted using a special tool, but its entirely
possible to do it with a pair of pliers.

They are quite handy as they can be fitted after a cable is installed,
and without disconnecting either end unlike any other type of gable
gland.

Regards,

Steve

Andy Wade November 4th 06 10:15 AM

Wiring Strain Relief

TheOldFellow wrote:

Yes, that looks like it, thanks. Pity I'd have to buy 200, when I want 1
though!

Manufacturers and distributors of small widgets like this are usually
more than happy to send you one or two as free samples. Ask for price
and delivery for say 1,000 and 10,000 quantities and then request your
samples.

--
Andy

Dave Plowman (News) November 4th 06 12:39 PM

Wiring Strain Relief

In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:
This shows my new unvented cyclinder. I want to wire in the Immersion
Heater before next summer :-)

The Oftec fitter wired in the thermostat using heat resistant flex and a
white plastic "strain relief" or maybe it's a "gland". Where can I get
one like it? Nothing on TLC looks the same.

Strangely, Maplin sell something similar. Only in black, though.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ETS&doy=4m 11

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.