DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you remove an oil finish from wooden surround by dipping/stripping (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/181062-can-you-remove-oil-finish-wooden-surround-dipping-stripping.html)

[email protected] October 31st 06 05:30 PM

Can you remove an oil finish from wooden surround by dipping/stripping

I've seen a pine fireplace on Ebay which I'm thinking of buying.
However it looks a little orange'ish which I think may be due to the
fact that it has been oiled.
As I've had all my doors dipped back to their natural state I was
wondering would I be able to do the same with this fireplace if I
bought it? I can't see why not but just wanted to check.

Andy October 31st 06 06:49 PM

Can you remove an oil finish from wooden surround by dipping/stripping

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've seen a pine fireplace on Ebay which I'm thinking of buying.
However it looks a little orange'ish which I think may be due to the
fact that it has been oiled.
As I've had all my doors dipped back to their natural state I was
wondering would I be able to do the same with this fireplace if I
bought it? I can't see why not but just wanted to check.

In my experience which ain't extensive I must admit, the orange finish you
mention is more likely to be the result of oil-based varnish, which has a
tendency to yellow with age. Why not ask the seller? There is that facility
on eBay.

Andy.

Stuart Noble October 31st 06 07:48 PM

wrote:
I've seen a pine fireplace on Ebay which I'm thinking of buying.
However it looks a little orange'ish which I think may be due to the
fact that it has been oiled.

You can't tell from a photo. Pine looks different in different lights

As I've had all my doors dipped back to their natural state I was
wondering would I be able to do the same with this fireplace if I
bought it? I can't see why not but just wanted to check.

If it's the Dip 'n Strip type "non-caustic" method, it'll remove
anything. Caustic won't touch a lot of modern finishes, including
polyurethane and acrylics