Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Conspiracy theory?

Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub.
Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be easily
enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4 litres.

Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint, wallpaper
paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have three quarters of
a tin of something in the garage?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how big -
then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too small'
containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

What do you think?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub.
Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be easily
enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4 litres.

Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint, wallpaper
paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have three quarters
of a tin of something in the garage?

Surely you can use it on another job?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how big -

Oh come on! Ehat's the average room?

then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too small'
containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

Two is never too much. Unless it's poor wine, when one bottle would be too
much.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-28 20:49:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub.
Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be
easily enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4 litres.

Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint, wallpaper
paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have three
quarters of a tin of something in the garage?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how big
- then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too small'
containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

What do you think?

I'm convinced of it.

Also wine boxes say that the contents will keep for 3 months. They don't ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Also wine boxes say that the contents will keep for 3 months. They
don't ;-)

Have you ever tried? g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub.
Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be
easily enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4
litres.
Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint,
wallpaper paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have
three quarters of a tin of something in the garage?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how
big - then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too
small' containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

What do you think?

Bring back quarts and pints, I say - rather than litres and half litres.
*They* were always right for a job! g

Seriously, there *is* a conspiracy - and it's described in the first part of
your post - and that's that the actual coverage is nothing like it says on
the tin. If they ever achieved that coverage it must have been under
artificial idealised conditions - a bit like vehicle fuel economy
measurements!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

If they ever achieved that coverage it must have been under
artificial idealised conditions - a bit like vehicle fuel economy
measurements!

While I concur with your paint coverage experience, our car consistently
delivers a higher MPG than the published figure, and that's with me
*really* putting my foot down.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-28 22:02:51 +0100, "Roger Mills" said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Also wine boxes say that the contents will keep for 3 months. They
don't ;-)

Have you ever tried? g

Not very hard, no....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Seriously, there *is* a conspiracy - and it's described in the first part
of your post - and that's that the actual coverage is nothing like it says
on the tin. If they ever achieved that coverage it must have been under
artificial idealised conditions - a bit like vehicle fuel economy
measurements!

Yesterday, on an ill fated trip to Ikea at Lakeside, I nearly reached the
claimed 53mph of my VW, assuming the dash readout isn't lying[1] on the
A21/M25. I got it up to 52mpg, then spent 2 hours in a traffic jam at the
Dartford tunnel and beyond watching it go down to 41! Never again, Croydon
next time...

On the plus side, Ikea was half empty so that was quite pleasant.

Tim

[1] Then I know the speedo overreads by about 6-7mph at 70 (including the
odometer and related gubbins by the same proportion) so that works in its
favour...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Bring back quarts and pints, I say - rather than litres and half
litres. *They* were always right for a job! g

That's it! Nail on head! I never used to run out when it was imperial!

Seriously, there *is* a conspiracy - and it's described in the first
part of your post - and that's that the actual coverage is nothing
like it says on the tin. If they ever achieved that coverage it must
have been under artificial idealised conditions - a bit like vehicle
fuel economy measurements!

Good point.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grunff
writes
Roger Mills wrote:

If they ever achieved that coverage it must have been under
artificial idealised conditions - a bit like vehicle fuel economy
measurements!

While I concur with your paint coverage experience, our car
consistently delivers a higher MPG than the published figure, and
that's with me *really* putting my foot down.

"Flintstones, meet the Flintstones ..."

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub.
Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be easily
enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4 litres.

Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint, wallpaper
paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have three quarters of
a tin of something in the garage?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how big -
then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too small'
containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

What do you think?

Well with food, I always cook slightly more than enough for two, and the
dogs get whats left.

Got any dogs need creosoting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub.
Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be easily
enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4 litres.

Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint, wallpaper
paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have three quarters of
a tin of something in the garage?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how big -
then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too small'
containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

What do you think?

I think the more coverage they can claim, the more sales they'll get
from people that check the labels. Then once you've bought it youre not
going to finish the job with someone else's product. Retailers play
these sort of marketing games routinely, but it has nothing to do with
conspiracy.

Conspiracy: a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an
unlawful act

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Yesterday, on an ill fated trip to Ikea at Lakeside, I nearly reached the

Funny how often the words "ill-fated trip" and "Ikea" appear in the
sentence, isn't it?

SWMBO's had no less than than three in the last couple of weeks
(ill-fated trips to Ikea), that is. One of them was to their new store
in Greater Manchester, on its opening day (yes, don't ask). Apart from
the usual issue of not having items in stock that they'd said they did,
on that trip the entire vicinity of the store was swarming with security
blokes in hi-vi vests - this was presumably to avoid another PR disaster
like the last opening
But relatively few punters turned up, and those that did were directed
from the road to the carpark by long rows of hi-vis vests, all bored out
of their brains standing shoulder to shoulder, pointing their hands in
the direction of travel. The rows extended all the way through the
airport-sized carpark, which was totally coned off apart from a tiny
area in one corner, where all the incoming vehicles were compelled to
wait in line while each one was directed into the next available parking
bay.

Oh well, at least it meant that when SWMBO got back to her car with
trolley laden down with a heavy sofa bed there were plenty of willing
volunteers to help her manhandle it into the car... yeah, right.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message

On the plus side, Ikea was half empty so that was quite pleasant.

That means it was half full :-(

Mary

Pass Driving Theory Test Easy [email protected] UK diy 4 September 30th 06 05:56 PM
Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Flat Earth Theory To Be Taught In Science Classes Tom Watson Woodworking 131 October 17th 05 09:28 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM