Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet fitting

How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want to
put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want to
paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off until
we have done all the painting but this means living without a carpet
for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want to
put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want to
paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off until
we have done all the painting but this means living without a carpet
for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.

Removing and relaying a carpet which has been properly fitted and down for
some time is pretty easy - much more so than starting from scratch.
However, stairs are probably the most difficult.

The important thing is how you store the carpet so it doesn't get
stretched - roll it up and tie or tape, then store somewhere where it
won't get stood on, etc.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want to
put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want to
paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off until
we have done all the painting but this means living without a carpet
for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.

My parents recently had their stair carpet replaced.
The original was all cut into sizes of 2 stair lengths and attached with
gripper rod.
It certainly looked like all the one carpet.
It would have made putting it back a doddle.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want
to put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want
to paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off
until we have done all the painting but this means living without a
carpet for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.

As long as the landing carpet is held down by gripper rods, it's pretty easy
to pull it up (starting at a corner) and put it back. It will help if you
buy a knee kicker (I think Screwfix do one for about 30 quid now) which
makes it easy to stretch the carpet back onto the grippers.

The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other. It can be pulled out - a step at a time - with
a sharp tug. When you put it back, use a blunt bolster chisel to force it
back into the corners. [Don't use grippers made out of flimsy metal angle,
with the 'spikes' pressed out of it. At best, that's only good for one
application. Use proper wood and nails gripper rod - as used on the floors].

I've had my stair and landing carpets up several times over the years, and
they always go back ok by using these methods.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other.

away from each other?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Roger Mills wrote:

The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other.

away from each other?

No towards each other.
Each strip of gripper rod should be pointing towards the corner of each
stair i.e. towards each other.

If they pointed away from each other then the gripper rod would have no
effect at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Steven Campbell wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Roger Mills wrote:
The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other.

away from each other?

No towards each other.
Each strip of gripper rod should be pointing towards the corner of each
stair i.e. towards each other.

If they pointed away from each other then the gripper rod would have no
effect at all.

The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the second
clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be taken to
refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of adjacent
riser tread pairs

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:

The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the
second clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be
taken to refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of
adjacent riser tread pairs

Anyone familiar with gripper rod would have to try very hard to
mis-understand my original description. A single gripper rod is just that -
not a pair - and it has spikes angled in only one direction. So having
spikes pointing towards each other necessarily involved *both* of the rods
to which I had referred.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the second
clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be taken to
refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of adjacent
riser tread pairs

Exactly. If you're talking about that single piece of carpet then the
pair of grippers that hold it in place point away from each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the
second clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be
taken to refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of
adjacent riser tread pairs

Exactly. If you're talking about that single piece of carpet then the
pair of grippers that hold it in place point away from each other.

Even if you use a 'runner' on stairs (good idea as you can move it to
equalise wear) the grippers are still in the same orientation as single
pieces.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *