DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Junction Boxes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/180029-junction-boxes.html)

The Medway Handyman October 22nd 06 10:39 AM

Junction Boxes

Hi All

A customer I was working for last week wants me to go back & move a light
fitting in their bungalow. Only needs to be moved by about 4 ft.

Haven't looked at the ceiling rose yet (very high ceiling), but whilst in
the loft I had a look at the 'back' of it and saw 4 x 1.5mm cables going to
it. None of them are long enough to reach the new location.

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but what
about number 4? As far as I can see it's the second from last light in the
building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an extension built a few
years ago.

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a junction
box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better off with a 20
or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

dcbwhaley October 22nd 06 10:48 AM

Junction Boxes

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

A customer I was working for last week wants me to go back & move a light
fitting in their bungalow. Only needs to be moved by about 4 ft.

Haven't looked at the ceiling rose yet (very high ceiling), but whilst in
the loft I had a look at the 'back' of it and saw 4 x 1.5mm cables going to
it. None of them are long enough to reach the new location.

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but what
about number 4? As far as I can see it's the second from last light in the
building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an extension built a few
years ago.

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a junction
box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better off with a 20
or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

You don't say wether the switching is one way or two way. If it is
two way then you could have two triple&earth cables to the switches and
some choc-block in the rose to connect the strappers. That will need a
six terminal box

If it is one way then there could be one power in and two power outs.
That would need a four terminal box.

Andy Hall October 22nd 06 10:55 AM

Junction Boxes

On 2006-10-22 10:39:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

A customer I was working for last week wants me to go back & move a
light fitting in their bungalow. Only needs to be moved by about 4 ft.

Haven't looked at the ceiling rose yet (very high ceiling), but whilst
in the loft I had a look at the 'back' of it and saw 4 x 1.5mm cables
going to it. None of them are long enough to reach the new location.

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but
what about number 4? As far as I can see it's the second from last
light in the building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an
extension built a few years ago.

Two way switch or wiring to another lamp fitting?

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a
junction box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better
off with a 20 or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

The challenge is going to be the number of wires. Ceiling roses often
have 4 or 6 way terminal strips to accommodate everything.

One solution is to use a wiring connection unit of the type used for CH
controls

These are a 10 way 15A terminal strip in a box

e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...18884&ts=10581

At £3 a pound or so more expensive than one of the round JBs but
negligible in the context of the job.

Another is to go for crimping. Obtain a suitable empty box and make
crimp joints inside it.

For fiddly lighting wiring jobs, I think the wiring centre idea works
well. You know you will have enough terminals and can just run a
length of cable from the original position to the new fitting position
and not need to change anything else.

Andrew Mawson October 22nd 06 11:18 AM

Junction Boxes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
[...]

Could the 'extra' wire feed a second ceiling rose that comes on at the
same time (ie two lights)

AWEM

Andrew Gabriel October 22nd 06 12:08 PM

Junction Boxes

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Hi All

A customer I was working for last week wants me to go back & move a light
fitting in their bungalow. Only needs to be moved by about 4 ft.

Haven't looked at the ceiling rose yet (very high ceiling), but whilst in
the loft I had a look at the 'back' of it and saw 4 x 1.5mm cables going to
it. None of them are long enough to reach the new location.

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but what
about number 4? As far as I can see it's the second from last light in the
building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an extension built a few
years ago.

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a junction
box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better off with a 20
or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

I would get 4 and 6 terminal JB's, and use whichever is best.
I always use 20A JB for lighting, as it's so much easier to
get multiple conductors into the larger terminals.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Rumm October 22nd 06 03:37 PM

Junction Boxes

The Medway Handyman wrote:

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but what
about number 4?

Could be power out to another light - remember that loop in wiring does
not require a sequential daisy chain - you can take a feed to aother
lighting point at any place that is convienient.

As far as I can see it's the second from last light in the
building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an extension built a few
years ago.

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a junction
box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better off with a 20
or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

I would get one of the MK 4 terminal boxes. They have 4 individual
screew terminals on each of the four terminal blocks.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Wade October 23rd 06 01:51 AM

Junction Boxes

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Could the 'extra' wire feed a second ceiling rose that comes on at the
same time (ie two lights)

Two outgoing feeds to other lights is another possibility.

--
Andy

[email protected] October 23rd 06 01:34 PM

Junction Boxes

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

One must be the power in, one the power out and one the switch - but what
about number 4?

Could be power out to another light - remember that loop in wiring does
not require a sequential daisy chain - you can take a feed to aother
lighting point at any place that is convienient.

As far as I can see it's the second from last light in the
building. It's all fairly new wiring as it's in an extension built a few
years ago.

I'll need to mark & note the way the cables are connected and fit a junction
box, but what type? 4 or 6 terminal? And would I be better off with a 20
or 30 amp to give more room for all those cables?

I would get one of the MK 4 terminal boxes. They have 4 individual
screew terminals on each of the four terminal blocks.

Another couple of thoughts which might work depending on the customer
and the location.

1. Leave the existing rose where it is and use it as the juntion box.

2. As above, but have a light from the existing and the new (might suit
them, might not).

3. Use the existing rose as in 1, but move it above the ceiling and
make good where it was. Not sure if this is kosher, you's prolly have
to close off the hole the wire used to come through at least.