DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   electric shower (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1800-electric-shower.html)

Ben September 8th 03 08:45 PM

electric shower

Hi, i'd like to install a power shower on the cheap!

Next to my bathroom is a cupboard that was originally intended for an
imersion heater, i've a combi boiler thingy so the imersion is not
needed.

Can i use the electrical wiring from the outlet intended for the
imersion heater to power my shower. It would save any additional
wiring throughout my home. The imersion outlet is seperate on my fuse
box with an 16A fuse.

Cheers.

Andy Hall September 8th 03 09:02 PM

electric shower

On 8 Sep 2003 12:45:06 -0700, (Ben)
wrote:

Hi, i'd like to install a power shower on the cheap!

Next to my bathroom is a cupboard that was originally intended for an
imersion heater, i've a combi boiler thingy so the imersion is not
needed.

Can i use the electrical wiring from the outlet intended for the
imersion heater to power my shower. It would save any additional
wiring throughout my home. The imersion outlet is seperate on my fuse
box with an 16A fuse.

Cheers.

Presumably you mean an electrically heated shower run from the cold
water mains....

If so, no the immersion heater supply (neither cable nor fuse) are
adequate.

You would need to install a more substantial cable and increase the
fuse to the appropriate ratings recommended by the shower
manufacturer. *DO NOT* just increase the fuse without uprating the
cable unless you fancy a visit from the fire brigade.

The other type of power shower is simply an electric pump, which you
could run from this electrical supply after adding a fused connection
unit to the end of the cable. However, these showers are intended to
operate with low pressure, tank fed systems, not mains water combi
boilers.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall September 8th 03 11:22 PM

electric shower

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:50:27 +0100, PoP
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:02:43 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

manufacturer. *DO NOT* just increase the fuse without uprating the
cable unless you fancy a visit from the fire brigade.

And the not-very-friendly insurance claims assessor who is parachuted
in to check your insurance claim after the event. He'll be inclined to
wag his head horizontally as he's filling out the forms, and the tea
and biscuits approach suggested in another thread won't work on this
one.

PoP

My experience of loss adjusters/claim assessors is that they often
adopt a friendly style in order to try and obtain more information
from you by being on "your side" and putting you off guard.

Beware. These people are being paid by the insurer and they will do
all they can to minimise the insurer's liability.

This is not to say that one should conceal information or mislead
them, but I did have experience of one who attempted to introduce
irrelevant information as a justification for reducing the claim.

Christian McArdle September 9th 03 11:16 AM

electric shower

Hi, i'd like to install a power shower on the cheap!
(snip)
i've a combi boiler thingy so the imersion is not needed.

You are getting confused by terminology here.

1. The term "power shower" refers to a system that use a pump on your stored
gravity fed hot water system. You don't appear to have such a system, so
this is not possible, although the wiring described would be suitable for
such a shower.

2. The term "electric shower" refers to a system which heats water
instantaneously. This takes a lot of electricity and needs huge cables. An
immersion heater is 3kW. A shower around 10kW. The supply intended for the
immersion will be simply inadequete for this.

3. You say you have a combi boiler. This should provide an excellent shower,
vastly superior to an electric shower. Why are you wishing to install an
electric one?

Christian.

Ben September 9th 03 05:53 PM

electric shower

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message et...
[...]

Hmm, damn, guess nothing in life is ever simple!

I suppose i thought i wanted an electric shower from what you guys
have said and that my current wiring just aint going to be up to the
job.

I do have a combi boiler, but it doesn't seem to make for a good
shower... is hard to get the temperature right.
I'm quite poor and only had a thingy that attached to the taps, was
quite a posh nice shiny plastic one!
Is there some kind of weird device that would be better?

Thanks.

Owain September 9th 03 06:30 PM

electric shower

"Ben" wrote
| Hmm, damn, guess nothing in life is ever simple!
| I suppose i thought i wanted an electric shower from what you guys
| have said and that my current wiring just aint going to be up to the
| job.
| I do have a combi boiler, but it doesn't seem to make for a good
| shower... is hard to get the temperature right.
| I'm quite poor and only had a thingy that attached to the taps, was
| quite a posh nice shiny plastic one!
| Is there some kind of weird device that would be better?

1. Check both hot and cold are being fed from the mains - your hot water
through the combi will be mains, but your cold may still be from a tank
(like the hot was, presumably). You could install a pump to bring the cold
up to a similar pressure, but it would be better to replumb the bath/shower
to run directly from the cold mains. You could keep the loft tank for the
loo cisterns (possibly quieter filling, and also a reserve in case of mains
water failure).

.... then when both the hot and cold are similar pressure ...

2. Fit a proper thermostic shower mixer

Owain

John Stumbles September 9th 03 11:57 PM

electric shower

"Owain" wrote in message
"Ben" wrote

| I do have a combi boiler, but it doesn't seem to make for a good
| shower... is hard to get the temperature right.
| I'm quite poor and only had a thingy that attached to the taps, was
| quite a posh nice shiny plastic one!
| Is there some kind of weird device that would be better?

---8,---

2. Fit a proper thermostic shower mixer

The one that BES does for about £100 (inc VAT) seems to work nicely on a
combi. You have to install it sunk into the wall, and supply your own hose
and head etc. Screwfix do a surface mounting one (you can recess the supply
pipes) even cheaper including a basic cheapy head etc, which works OK on
mixed gravity hot + mains cold but I haven't tried it on a combi.

hth

--
John Stumbles