Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bath Height Off Floor .

I am about to get a new bath but wanted to do the tiling,less the tile
immediately above the bath,before fitting the new bath .

What's troubling me is the height of any new bath I buy .The one I have is about
540mm off the floor and is about it's maximum adjustment .Plumbworld specs say
"adjustable between 480-540mm" .

This company say all their baths are 570mm and when I phoned them they confirmed
( after he said that was bath top to waste bottom which I questioned) that this
was off the floor .The tech drawing they have on the site does sugegst it is
bath top to waste which is misleading .

http://www.bathroomheaven.com/sp_bro...poonbill_baths

Is there a standard height for standard rectangular baths .??

Maybe I'll just get the bath fitted first and be careful,very careful when
tiling .

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Stuart wrote:
I am about to get a new bath but wanted to do the tiling,less the tile
immediately above the bath,before fitting the new bath .

What's troubling me is the height of any new bath I buy .The one I have is about
540mm off the floor and is about it's maximum adjustment .Plumbworld specs say
"adjustable between 480-540mm" .

This company say all their baths are 570mm and when I phoned them they confirmed
( after he said that was bath top to waste bottom which I questioned) that this
was off the floor .The tech drawing they have on the site does sugegst it is
bath top to waste which is misleading .

http://www.bathroomheaven.com/sp_bro...poonbill_baths

Is there a standard height for standard rectangular baths .??

Maybe I'll just get the bath fitted first and be careful,very careful when
tiling .

Stuart

don't fit the bath until you have measured the height of the bath panels !

been there, done that, had to remove a bath and refit it because of 10mm
play in the panels. woman was not happy and I can't blame her, really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:04:09 GMT, "." wrote:

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Yeah well the bath I have at present,as I said,is pretty much at it's upper
limit and even then the long bath panel is a tight fit so if the bath was lower
it would have meant reducing the panel height which I would think is tricky .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
[...]

I think the best bet is to choose the bath you want, work out the
height of the side panel, positioning of waste fittings and other
pipework, get it all fitted securely and THEN start tiling. It will be
far easier to plan tile runs once everything is in place and you are
better off tiling down onto the bath anyway.
This will also avoid the potential scenario where you could end up with
a little sliver of tile directly above the bath where you have used
whole tiles from the ceiling and not planned (or not been able to plan)
what size the last tile will be.
I know you are probably worried about damaging the bath when tiling -
but seriously, just be careful and protect the bath and you'll be fine.
You are probably more likely to damage your beautiful new tiles when
trying to manhandle the bath into place!
Luke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:

Maybe I'll just get the bath fitted first and be careful,very careful when
tiling .

Stuart

Or measure the bath (and panel) wehn you get it then tile before
fitting it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:38:57 GMT, "." wrote:

wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Maybe I'll just get the bath fitted first and be careful,very careful when
tiling .

Stuart

Or measure the bath (and panel) wehn you get it then tile before
fitting it.

either way, I'd wait until the bath was in hand before making a decision :-)

Yeah .I have decided at least to wait until the bath is delivered before working
out the layout of the tiles and almost certainly get it fitted first before
even starting the tiling . As someone said the worst case would be to tile it
thinking you knew where the top of the bath was to be then discover the last
tile was going to be a thing piece .That would not look good .The upper tile
limit is adjustable so I'd prefer to have complete tiles from top to bottom .

Thx for all the help

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:52:52 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

I am about to get a new bath but wanted to do the tiling,less the tile
immediately above the bath,before fitting the new bath .

What's troubling me is the height of any new bath I buy .The one I have is about
540mm off the floor and is about it's maximum adjustment .Plumbworld specs say
"adjustable between 480-540mm" .

This company say all their baths are 570mm and when I phoned them they confirmed
( after he said that was bath top to waste bottom which I questioned) that this
was off the floor .The tech drawing they have on the site does sugegst it is
bath top to waste which is misleading .

http://www.bathroomheaven.com/sp_bro...poonbill_baths

Is there a standard height for standard rectangular baths .??

Maybe I'll just get the bath fitted first and be careful,very careful when
tiling .

Stuart

Check that bath panel before you do anything. Often bath panels are
made oversize so that you can cut them down a bit even when the bath
is at its limit of adjustment. There are other factors to consider i.e
will the waste fit? does the waste pipe fall away and drain ok?. I am
an advocate of marking up accurately the bath position then tiling
first and fitting the bath last. I find it produces a better quality
job. As with all jobs though,plan and measure meticulously and mark
out accurately. Its ok to put wooden blocks under the bath legs rahter
than have them at their fullest extend of adjustment !