Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter

Huge wrote:
My digital multimeter's just given up the ghost.

Any suggestions as to a replacement? I don't need a golly-gee-whizz
one with dB scales and transistor testers, but I'd like a large
display (so I can see it when I'm hanging out of the ceiling) and
it's got to be reasonably robust.

I know everyone else has said "go for a Fluke" but I'd advise caution.
I use them day in day out at work and they are indeed generally very
good and reliable. BUT, they are massively overpriced. They are not
*that* robust. (No more so than my £25 one I bought from Maplin 12
years ago anyway). The accuracy for the basic models is nothing
special.

You can spend much less for the same feature set and reliability.

Also, avoid the terribly designed "Fluke 16" models that have the probe
connections on the bottom of the unit. This makes it impossible to
stand it up when the probes are attached! Heap of useless junk! We
often have to run ours sideways...

Jon.