Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WetNfiX

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Harry wrote:

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal
2. use resin fixing

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Oct 2006 07:25:07 -0700, Mr Harry wrote:

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?

Tja! Es lauft ganz gut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Harry wrote:
i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my
rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would
work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your walls
are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work miracles,
and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a resin-based
system.

But anbyway, they only cost a quid or so from B&Q or Wickes: hardly
going to break the bank if they don't grip well enough!!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

But anbyway, they only cost a quid or so from B&Q or Wickes: hardly
going to break the bank if they don't grip well enough!!

£3.50 for 10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my
rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would
work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your walls
are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work miracles,
and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a resin-based
system.

Walls are such that maybe one out of four rawl plugs hits a soft spot.

harry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my
rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would
work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your
walls are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work
miracles, and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a
resin-based system.

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it asbestos
fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Most Fischer stuff does what it says on the tin.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it asbestos
fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Yes, asbestos. Very good stuff too. Been holding up my bookshelves for
the past 21 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most Fischer stuff does what it says on the tin.

Interestingly Wet'n'Fix didnt start life as a Fischer Product... it was the
creation of "Monarch International" an odd collection of an IT Consultant,
a Prosthetics expert and a Wine purchaser for a large chain. Nice guys
though.

Like most one-product startups they struggled to get traction until Fischer
negotiated to rebrand the product. Once Fischer did have the rights they
didnt do much with it for a ling time. It looked like they were burying the
product until Monarch went bust or decided not to play anymore.

I've not spoken to them in a a couple of years, but it does seem like things
are picking up for them, but then they have been plugging away for 7~8
years.

For the record, they do work very well - which is probably why the guys have
stayed the course - when you have a product that works well that you can
believe in, it does keep you focussed...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it
asbestos fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Yes, asbestos. Very good stuff too. Been holding up my bookshelves for
the past 21 years.

There's an asbestos-free version now called 'plug and repair' -
http://www.diytools.co.uk/product.as...62!TB_RAW13002

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Update:

Bought some from Wickes (£2.99 for 20 iirc) and initial results seem
promising. They seem to do exactly what it says on the packet. Time
will tell how they perform over time.

harry

Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr Harry wrote:

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal
2. use resin fixing

NT

Yup have used them - alot! I have an old Victorian house and is the bane of my life!!