Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brick wall and piers

I have a brick wall about to be rebuilt. It's about 5 - 6ft high and is a
9" construction, rather wobbly on it's lowest course and hence dangerous.
It's about 8ft long and is a free standing construction without piers. The
builder has been instructed by the landlord to reinstate the wall as it was
without any piers.

I presume this doesn't follow good working practise. However are they any
guidelines published of what is and isn't good working practise?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
I have a brick wall about to be rebuilt. It's about 5 - 6ft high and is a
9" construction, rather wobbly on it's lowest course and hence dangerous.
It's about 8ft long and is a free standing construction without piers. The
builder has been instructed by the landlord to reinstate the wall as it was
without any piers.

I presume this doesn't follow good working practise. However are they any
guidelines published of what is and isn't good working practise?

With decent bricks and cement, and with no side loads, it should be fine.

Especially if he shoves in plenty of 'bow' ties.

Its different if its e.g. a retaining wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
I have a brick wall about to be rebuilt. It's about 5 - 6ft high and is
a 9" construction, rather wobbly on it's lowest course and hence
dangerous. It's about 8ft long and is a free standing construction
without piers. The builder has been instructed by the landlord to
reinstate the wall as it was without any piers.

I presume this doesn't follow good working practise. However are they any
guidelines published of what is and isn't good working practise?

With decent bricks and cement, and with no side loads, it should be fine.

Especially if he shoves in plenty of 'bow' ties.

Its different if its e.g. a retaining wall.

Many thanks. No it's not a retaining wall but I thought it should have had
14" piers at either end to ensure stability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Fred wrote:
I have a brick wall about to be rebuilt. It's about 5 - 6ft high and is
a 9" construction, rather wobbly on it's lowest course and hence
dangerous. It's about 8ft long and is a free standing construction
without piers. The builder has been instructed by the landlord to
reinstate the wall as it was without any piers.

I presume this doesn't follow good working practise. However are they any
guidelines published of what is and isn't good working practise?

With decent bricks and cement, and with no side loads, it should be fine.

Especially if he shoves in plenty of 'bow' ties.

Its different if its e.g. a retaining wall.

Many thanks. No it's not a retaining wall but I thought it should have had
14" piers at either end to ensure stability.

Wouldnt have thought the need due to 9" blocks having sufficient
"footprint" anyhoo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
oups.com...

Fred wrote:
With decent bricks and cement, and with no side loads, it should be
fine.

Especially if he shoves in plenty of 'bow' ties.

Its different if its e.g. a retaining wall.

Many thanks. No it's not a retaining wall but I thought it should have
had
14" piers at either end to ensure stability.

Wouldnt have thought the need due to 9" blocks having sufficient
"footprint" anyhoo

These are standard bricks and I forgot to mention there is a metal gate
attached at one end. Many thanks for the info.

Tieing-in block wall to brick piers Andy UK diy 10 October 4th 05 02:43 PM
Brick wall design Oliver Brearley UK diy 15 March 11th 05 12:22 AM
Brick wall Lawrence Zarb UK diy 6 January 1st 05 10:04 PM
Fixing studs to brick wall MGA UK diy 31 October 10th 04 10:13 PM
"angled" brick piers Lawrence Zarb UK diy 4 August 12th 04 01:08 PM