DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Telephone Line Fault? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/178893-telephone-line-fault.html)

Andy October 11th 06 08:50 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

Before I contact BT I thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar problem to me.
I have have had problems getting onto the internet before and only repeated
removing and replacing of the RJ45 connector from the modem could get it
working.

At first I thought it was a dodgy contact but all looks good and jiggling it
has no effect. I also replaced the modem line & connectors and tore the
laptop apart* and resoldered the modem socket.

However, someone told me the other day my number was giving out a 1575
message, when they should have got through. Also the dial tone is now a
high-low tone, that's if there is one at all, when it stops working I get
just hiss and crackle and replacing the receiver umpteen times doesn't bring
back the tone.

I've disconnected everything but a single phone from the network, and still
the weird tone. Any ideas, if not it's time to call BT I think.

* Only two screws left over, not bad for dismantling and reassembly of a
laptop.

Andy.

Bob Eager October 11th 06 09:03 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:50:14 UTC, "Andy"
wrote:

Before I contact BT I thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar problem to me.
I have have had problems getting onto the internet before and only repeated
removing and replacing of the RJ45 connector from the modem could get it
working.

However, someone told me the other day my number was giving out a 1575
message, when they should have got through. Also the dial tone is now a
high-low tone, that's if there is one at all, when it stops working I get
just hiss and crackle and replacing the receiver umpteen times doesn't bring
back the tone.

I've disconnected everything but a single phone from the network, and still
the weird tone. Any ideas, if not it's time to call BT I think.

You should disconnect the extension wiring, to eliminate that.

Assuming you have the 'split' master socket, like this:

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/line_jacks.htm

(BT NTE5 socket, second down on the left)....

Remove the lower part of the front by undoing the two screws and pulling
it straight forward (it has to unplug from the rest of the socket). This
will reveal the socket into which it fitted, which is actually a
standard phone socket. The extension wiring is attached to the removable
plate, so it's now all dosconnected. Try your phone in the newly exposed
socket..if it still fails, it's definitely a BT problem. Otherwise it's
yours.

Andy October 11th 06 09:13 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

wrote:

[...]

Cheers Bob,

I have two extensions running off my master socket, but they're not
hardwired into it, I have a 1-to-3 way splitter plugged into it ( only two
ways used ). So, that means I already have disconnected the extension cables
already, as you suggested. However, you have reminded me that I haven't
removed the 1-to-3 way splitter so I'll remove that and plug a 'phone
straight into the master socket,

regards,

Andy.

John October 11th 06 09:21 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

I think you mean a 1571 message, not 1575 although I may stand corrected on
that. 1571 is BTs Call Minder service (basically an answering service). The
"high-low" dialtone you're hearing is known as "interrupted" dial tone and
is the answering services way of telling you that you have a message waiting
to be answered.

Some modems have problems connecting when they "see" or "hear" the
interrupted dialtone. Clear your messages and you should be able to connect
OK.

John.

EricP October 11th 06 09:35 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:50:14 +0100, "Andy"
wrote:

[...]

Before you contact BT, go have a look at external connections in any
boxes outside that you can get at. Look for bad connections in the
boxes.

Also when you contact BT, concentrate on the phone being duff, try to
avoid words like "internet". It seems to draw a veil of stupidity over
their minds.

[email protected] October 11th 06 11:48 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

Andy wrote:

I have two extensions running off my master socket, but they're not
hardwired into it, I have a 1-to-3 way splitter plugged into it ( only two
ways used ). So, that means I already have disconnected the extension cables
already, as you suggested. However, you have reminded me that I haven't
removed the 1-to-3 way splitter so I'll remove that and plug a 'phone
straight into the master socket,

regards,

Andy.

you need to plug 2 phones into the master socket, not 1. If both give
the same probem its BT's fault, and they should fix it free. Plugging
just one in doesnt tell you if the problem is your phone or BT's line.

NT

Andy October 12th 06 12:12 AM

Telephone Line Fault?

"John" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Aaaah, signed up for that option recently when I was cold-called by BT, no
idea how it worked, I'll see if I can clear the message and see how it goes,

cheers,

Andy.

John Rumm October 12th 06 12:43 AM

Telephone Line Fault?

John wrote:

Some modems have problems connecting when they "see" or "hear" the
interrupted dialtone. Clear your messages and you should be able to connect
OK.

Unticking the "wait for dialtone" box in the modem configuration
dialogue will also solve that. If you can't see that, then entering an
advanced configuration option of "ATX0" should also do it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy October 12th 06 03:14 AM

Telephone Line Fault?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John wrote:

Some modems have problems connecting when they "see" or "hear" the
interrupted dialtone. Clear your messages and you should be able to
connect OK.

Unticking the "wait for dialtone" box in the modem configuration dialogue
will also solve that. If you can't see that, then entering an advanced
configuration option of "ATX0" should also do it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Cheers Folks,

There still seems to be a problem even after clearing the backlog of 8
stored 1571 messages dating back to september!
........ including one telling me I had not got the job I recently was
interviewed for :0(
( I'm gutted - it was a cushy number )

I still get an occasional problem either with a continuous tone ( not the
dial tone, the higher pitched loss-of-connection tone )
or just an open line ( hiss, crackle ) that won't respond to anything, then
for no reason I'll get a normal dial tone when I
plug in for the umpteenth time.

BT it is then.......

Andy.

John Rumm October 12th 06 05:53 AM

Telephone Line Fault?

Andy wrote:

I still get an occasional problem either with a continuous tone ( not the
dial tone, the higher pitched loss-of-connection tone )
or just an open line ( hiss, crackle ) that won't respond to anything, then
for no reason I'll get a normal dial tone when I
plug in for the umpteenth time.

BT it is then.......

Yup, that sounds like a real line fault not just a identification of
dial tone problem.

(one other cause of unexpected loss of connection is call waiting - you
can turn this off by dialing #43# IIRC)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy October 12th 06 03:03 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy wrote:

I still get an occasional problem either with a continuous tone ( not the
dial tone, the higher pitched loss-of-connection tone )
or just an open line ( hiss, crackle ) that won't respond to anything,
then for no reason I'll get a normal dial tone when I
plug in for the umpteenth time.

BT it is then.......

Yup, that sounds like a real line fault not just a identification of dial
tone problem.

(one other cause of unexpected loss of connection is call waiting - you
can turn this off by dialing #43# IIRC)

I managed to get through to BT on their line fault reporting number 0800 800
151 and the automated woman talks you through a test whereby you are called
back within 30 seconds after the receiver is replaced.

I have to tell you now that no such call was forthcoming......

The BT line fault progress number indicates that I may ave a real line fault
so thanks for all the help, especially for helping me to understand how BT
Call Minder 1571 worked!

Andy.

Chris Hodges October 12th 06 06:34 PM

Telephone Line Fault?

EricP wrote:
Before you contact BT, go have a look at external connections in any
boxes outside that you can get at. Look for bad connections in the
boxes.

Also when you contact BT, concentrate on the phone being duff, try to
avoid words like "internet". It seems to draw a veil of stupidity over
their minds.

And definately avoid questions like "does it have an ethernet port" when
trying to decide which broadband package to sign up to!

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com