Old October 19th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reducing rain noise on Velux windows

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

A thick coating of vaseline on the outside....

Old October 20th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

decoman wrote:
Hi Paul

You can reduce the noise inside by fitting a blackout blind with a good
track mechanism, or, to my mind best solution buy yourself an awning
blind for it.

The awning blinds for VELUX are to my mind the best kept blind secret
in the UK, because no-one seems to use them yet they are fantastic ( I
have 3). They are designed to stop the heat before it hits the pane,
and made from a black mesh material. They are far more efficient at
stopping heat than other types of blind, and the nice little side
effect is that they absolutely diffuse the noise of the rain too. Oh
yes and they look great from the outside.

You can get the branded ones direct from VELUX at
www.veluxblindsdirect.co.uk, or some cheaper (but very good) ones from
www.itzala.net

Hope this helps

Decoman

Wow, they look great. Thanks for the tip! The Velux ones are 97 each
for my son's windows, Itzala ones are 39. I can't see a lot of
difference between them besides the 'name' and the Velux one seems to
have a cord for easy operation. Can I ask which ones you use?

Thanks again,
Paul.

Hi Paul

I got the ones from itzala.net. A bit slow on the delivery but well
worth the wait for the price difference. (saved 150 quid or so)

Actually I also should point out the blinds sit under the hood of the
Velux window so when it is not fixed it is invisible. Excellent
designers these Danes!

Rgds

Decoman

Old October 22nd 06, 01:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

decoman wrote:

Paul wrote:

decoman wrote:
[...]

Nice one - it seems just the thing I'm after as well.
Does the awning stay tight to the window ? - ie, what if it's windy,
does it bash around?
cheers for the info.

Old October 24th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Nice one - it seems just the thing I'm after as well.
Does the awning stay tight to the window ? - ie, what if it's windy,
does it bash around?
cheers for the info.

Well I haven't really had any really severe weather to comment, they
are held by the tension so so far I have no complaints - they seem to
remain tight....

On a separate note I was in Austria last week and noticed that these
awning type blinds on roof windows are all over the place, yet I've
never seen anyone else using them here but me.

Regards

Decoman

bob wrote:

Old December 5th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Well I haven't really had any really severe weather to comment, they
are held by the tension so so far I have no complaints - they seem to
remain tight....

On a separate note I was in Austria last week and noticed that these
awning type blinds on roof windows are all over the place, yet I've
never seen anyone else using them here but me.

Regards

Decoman

I still haven't got around to buying the awning yet!
How has your awning faired up to the recent wind and rain by the
buckets load?

cheers.

Old April 4th 13, 07:54 AM
PXK PXK is offline
Junior Member

Velux rain noise.

bob wrote:
Well I haven't really had any really severe weather to comment, they
are held by the tension so so far I have no complaints - they seem to
remain tight....

On a separate note I was in Austria last week and noticed that these
awning type blinds on roof windows are all over the place, yet I've
never seen anyone else using them here but me.

Regards

Decoman

I still haven't got around to buying the awning yet!
How has your awning faired up to the recent wind and rain by the
buckets load?

cheers.
[/quote]
Old April 8th 14, 09:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

decoman, are you still about?

Did you follow the instructions to the letter when successfully installing your awning blind?

I am following the instructions at
http://www.velux.co.uk/en-GB/Documen...50821-0210.pdf
but the 'pre-drilled holes' they mention on page 12 aren't there.

Hope I am looking in the right place!

thanks
Old April 8th 14, 10:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/14 20:58, wrote:
decoman, are you still about?

Lame spamming *******...

Old February 11th 16, 05:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The 2 screws are from the window frame, take them out and add the hooks

How Quiet Can I Get From Boxing a Noisy Shop Vac? [email protected] Woodworking 29 August 30th 06 06:00 PM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Repair 33 June 17th 06 03:10 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
Reducing PVC waste pipe noise Mark L. Home Repair 9 November 2nd 05 02:45 AM
Reducing register noise Jim Home Repair 4 July 21st 05 01:29 AM