Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

Hello all.

The occupiers of the next door house (it's been sold some months ago to a
property investment company, and is awaiting refurbishment) have been
leaving many bags of rubbish in the area that used to be the front garden.
I did speak to them once before about it; and also put a note through their
letter box a couple of days ago, because there was a bad smell coming from
it. Anyway, those bags of rubbish are still there.
P.S. They have a large van, and could easily take them to the nearest dump,
_as they have done previously_.

To come to the crux of the matter:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private residence,
and not a council-owned one.

So I got in touch with the fire department (fire brigade) to report a
possible fire hazard. I was informed that they could do nothing; as it was a
private residence, and the occupiers were at liberty to do as they pleased.
I suggested that they could just _advise_ these occupiers about a possible
fire risk; but no, I was told that "their hands were tied" and that they
coudn't even do that.
It was suggested that the nearest thing that could be done was to distribute
some leaflets locally, but that was unlikely to be done.
Have you tried to get your local fire depatment's phone number? I don't
think that it's listed (like the police stations).
I had to get in touch with their headquarters, in the first place.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private residence,
and not a council-owned one.

This is literally rubbish. Phone the local Environmental Health and
tell them you wish to report a statutory nuisance caused by an
accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/27...sion=1&lang=_e

Sairey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
[...]

You got in touch with the wrong people? try *Enviromental Health* and
report sightings of *rats*

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

report sightings of *rats*

That's no way to talk about the neighbours.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

report sightings of *rats*

That's no way to talk about the neighbours.

Too right it is,people can do without this sort of vermin in the
neighbourhood. :-)

its not houses they should be living in,but pigsty's

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
[...]

On a similar note, I live next door to what can only be described as
"Mr Trebus no2" very overgrown garden strewn with rubbish, and the
house is in a state of disrepair. I might sound a bit snobbish but it
looks very bad next to our house (semi) we live in a small village 50
or so houses and next door sticks out like a sore thumb, with most
people coming here for the first time asking "how long has next door
been empty"!!

I have heard in the dim and distant past that there is such a thing as
a local council order to keep houses in a certain state of repair,
anyone know of it?

No point in talking to the guy, as the wheel is turning but the
hamster is long dead!! and he is usually ****ed out of his mind half
the time. Window pane blew out four months ago and he got round to
replacing it last week!! Lucky I'm not thinking of selling as it would
probably knock a few thou off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
[...]

Ah..this is where you get canny.

Buy him regular crates of whiskey, and when he dies from cirrhosis, your
house will immediataly leap in value...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:03:51 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Social work? ASBO? Petrol bomb?

There are limits. ASBO and petrol bomb are pretty acceptable. But I
doubt he deserves a 'social worker' - cruel and unusual punishment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sylvain VAN DER
WALDE writes
Hello all.

The occupiers of the next door house (it's been sold some months ago to a
property investment company, and is awaiting refurbishment) have been
leaving many bags of rubbish in the area that used to be the front garden.
I did speak to them once before about it; and also put a note through their
letter box a couple of days ago, because there was a bad smell coming from
it. Anyway, those bags of rubbish are still there.
P.S. They have a large van, and could easily take them to the nearest dump,
_as they have done previously_.

To come to the crux of the matter:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private residence,
and not a council-owned one.

I bet you forgot to tell them about the rats ...

worked for me

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Guy King wrote:

report sightings of *rats*

That's no way to talk about the neighbours.

OH yes it is...

Bit early for panto isn't it?

Oh no its not!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness gone
mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses that phrase
without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
On a similar note, I live next door to what can only be described as
"Mr Trebus no2" very overgrown garden strewn with rubbish, and the
house is in a state of disrepair. I might sound a bit snobbish but it
looks very bad next to our house (semi)
I have heard in the dim and distant past that there is such a thing as
a local council order to keep houses in a certain state of repair,
anyone know of it?

If the property is dilapidated to the point of uninhabitability or
structural instability they can serve a compulsory repair notice.

No point in talking to the guy, as the wheel is turning but the
hamster is long dead!! and he is usually ****ed out of his mind half
the time.

Social work? ASBO? Petrol bomb?

Window pane blew out four months ago and he got round to
replacing it last week!! Lucky I'm not thinking of selling as it would
probably knock a few thou off.

You /might/ have a claim against him for the reduction in value to your
property, especially if he's the other half of your semi.

Owain

I dont think its structuraly unsafe, there are a fair few slates
missing off the roof which in my opinion need repacing or damage could
be done to the timbers, knowing my luck he'll get a full re roofing
grant and I've been chasing one for five years, F'ing Anglesey council
!! corruption abounds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sairey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private
residence,
and not a council-owned one.

This is literally rubbish. Phone the local Environmental Health and
tell them you wish to report a statutory nuisance caused by an
accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/27...sion=1&lang=_e

Sairey

Thanks. I will certainly get in touch with that department.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

Sylvain.
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness gone
mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses that
phrase without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

I could have said "Human rights gone crazy" I suppose, or something similar.
I was very surprised that the local authorities seemed unable to help me
sort out this matter. The fire brigade spokesman admitted that "their hands
were tied", and that people could do what they liked on their own property,
even if they caused a fire risk.

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front garden
space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the house. I
admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of this eyesore
(yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my approaches to the
local council and fire department were perfectly _valid_.

Sylvain.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains
these words:

I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

So - no standing for public office for you, then.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:56:48 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

[...]

Try the local paper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front
garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the
house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of
this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my
approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly
_valid_.

You may misagree, but it didn't actually get you anywhere, did it...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"raden" wrote in message
[...]

Catch a rat, and put it there and take a photo.

Sylvain.
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness
gone mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses
that phrase without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

I could have said "Human rights gone crazy" I suppose, or something
similar. I was very surprised that the local authorities seemed unable to
help me sort out this matter. The fire brigade spokesman admitted that
"their hands were tied", and that people could do what they liked on their
own property, even if they caused a fire risk.

Not even "Human rights gone crazy". Do you think the situation would have
been any different say 40 years ago?

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front
garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the
house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of
this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my
approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly
_valid_.

You may disagree - but the fire dept told you it wasn't their problem. Which
it isn't. Environmental health maybe, but expecting the fire brigade to be
dustmen is just wrong. What next - get the ambulance round to dig your
garden?

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-30 14:16:02 +0100, Owain said:

Owain wrote:
If you think there may be a body their the police would dig it for you.

s/their/there

Oh, the shame!

Owain

That's the second this week.

I put it down to living in Scotland....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
k...

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front
garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the
house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of
this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my
approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly
_valid_.

You may misagree, but it didn't actually get you anywhere, did it...?

Exactly. And this is what prompted me to "sound off" here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness
gone mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses
that phrase without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

I could have said "Human rights gone crazy" I suppose, or something
similar. I was very surprised that the local authorities seemed unable to
help me sort out this matter. The fire brigade spokesman admitted that
"their hands were tied", and that people could do what they liked on
their own property, even if they caused a fire risk.

Not even "Human rights gone crazy". Do you think the situation would have
been any different say 40 years ago?

I believe that it would have been very different (I'm 71). The police and
fire brigade were more amenable, as far as I can remember.

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front
garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the
house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of
this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my
approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly
_valid_.

You may disagree - but the fire dept told you it wasn't their problem.
Which it isn't. Environmental health maybe, but expecting the fire brigade
to be dustmen is just wrong. What next - get the ambulance round to dig
your garden?

I don't think that you've read my messages with sufficient care/attention.
I've made it quite clear that I asked the fire brigade to get the occupiers
to remove their bags of rubbish, as I believed that they presented a fire
hazard. Something that they stated they couldn't do. They didn't say that it
wasn't their problem; just that they weren't able to help me. It seems that
you can do what you like on your own property, _regardless_ of possible fire
risk and/or health hazard.

Sylvain.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
... What next - get the ambulance round
to dig your garden?

If you think there may be a body their the police would dig it for you.

Hmm! Ha! Ha!

Sylvain.
Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

Catch a rat, and put it there and take a photo.

Where would he catch a rat then? Ah, perhaps next door...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

Not even "Human rights gone crazy". Do you think the situation would have
been any different say 40 years ago?

I believe that it would have been very different (I'm 71). The police and
fire brigade were more amenable, as far as I can remember.

Amenable to you sticking your nose in your neighbour's business?

You may disagree - but the fire dept told you it wasn't their problem.
Which it isn't. Environmental health maybe, but expecting the fire
brigade to be dustmen is just wrong. What next - get the ambulance round
to dig your garden?

I don't think that you've read my messages with sufficient care/attention.
I've made it quite clear that I asked the fire brigade to get the
occupiers to remove their bags of rubbish, as I believed that they
presented a fire hazard. Something that they stated they couldn't do. They
didn't say that it wasn't their problem; just that they weren't able to
help me. It seems that you can do what you like on your own property,
_regardless_ of possible fire risk and/or health hazard.

If it was a genuine fire risk, they'd have done something - eg containers of
petrol sloshing around. Bags of rubbish left outside aren't anything like
the sort of risk they want to worry about. I can think of rather higher
risks which occur entirely normally, and nobody tries to prevent them.

Who would I trust to make a decision regarding such a risk : the fire
brigade, or a nosey neighbour who's actually just using it as an excuse to
try and get rid of an eyesore?

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound pleasant.
However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the wrong
place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't listen to
you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong. Your attempts to
blame this on 'political correctness' and 'human rights' are also wildly
misplaced. It's nothing to do with your Daily Mail-type worries - it's far
simpler: there is not the justification for them to take the action you
desire.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-30 16:59:26 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
If you think there may be a body their the police would dig it for you.
s/their/there

That's the second this week.

The second what - body or typo?

Well there was the association between Micro$oft and operating systems.

I put it down to living in Scotland....

I'm not in Glasgow!

I quite understand,

I was talking to some Italians this week and they wanted to know how
far north the Romans had gone in Britain. I explained that they had
never made a serious success in Scotland and that possibly this was due
to the Glaswegian habit of deep frying pizza.

They took a lot of convincing that anyone could possibly do this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
[...]

Maybe try another approach, a BIG sign on their wall saying 'I revel in
my crap.'

Then if youre more daring, tip off the papers.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-30 22:14:36 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I was talking to some Italians this week and they wanted to know how
far north the Romans had gone in Britain. I explained that they had
never made a serious success in Scotland and that possibly this was due
to the Glaswegian habit of deep frying pizza.
They took a lot of convincing that anyone could possibly do this.

They might have taken even more convincing if you told them that most
Scottish chippies deep-frying aforementioned pizze are actually owned
and run by their fellow countrymen.

Owain

Yes but they were probably excommunicated a long time ago for making
and drinking cappucino after 10am, another heathen habit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sylvain VAN DER
WALDE writes

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's better a little white lie now than an unpleasant truth in due
course

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

Catch a rat, and put it there and take a photo.

Where would he catch a rat then? Ah, perhaps next door...

Anywhere. Its been estimated that 99.99% of the UK population live
within 10 meters of a rat.

Juts get a cage trap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We live in a very lax and uncaring society. "Law and order" is a meaningless
phrase; and where else do you get hospitals which kill their patients
through lack of proper _basic_hygiene (I find it easier to accept paying
nearly £90.00 a month for budget medical insurance, as it means that I won't
have to go to an NHS hospital).

Who would I trust to make a decision regarding such a risk : the fire
brigade, or a nosey neighbour who's actually just using it as an excuse to
try and get rid of an eyesore?

You are trying _too hard_ to disagree with everything that I say. _I am not
a nosey neighbour_. I see that rubbish when I go through the front gate, and
when I look out of my front room window. I can't avoid seeing it.

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of one's
imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross lack of
consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the mandate/authority
to do so.

Sylvain.

Your attempts to
blame this on 'political correctness' and 'human rights' are also wildly
misplaced. It's nothing to do with your Daily Mail-type worries - it's far
simpler: there is not the justification for them to take the action you
desire.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:00:40 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

---8---

Er, EXCUSE ME, shouldn't that be "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WITH MENTAL
HEALTH PROBLEMS"????

Really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound
pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of
one's imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross lack
of consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

In which case why did you contact the fire brigade? What do you think their
job is : mediating disputes between neighbours, or fire and rescue related
activities? Your actions so far indicate that you believed the former is
part of their job - do you still believe that?

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the
mandate/authority to do so.

They're telling you precisely what I've said - that your attempts to take
action are in the wrong place. Just because they listened to you doesn't
make them the right people to complain to. Kudos to them for listening, but
having done so doesn't actually make them responsible.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound
pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of
one's imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross
lack of consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

In which case why did you contact the fire brigade? What do you think
their job is : mediating disputes between neighbours, or fire and rescue
related activities? Your actions so far indicate that you believed the
former is part of their job - do you still believe that?

Dear! Oh dear! How many times do I have to repeat myself.
I contacted the fire brigade in the hope that they could apply some pressure
on my neighbours to get them to remove their bags of rubbish. That's all.
UPDATE: My neighbours appear to have gone, leaving behind even more rubbish.
I think that this could be due to the new requirement for landlords to
register for fire risk assessment.
It seems that I was wasting my time in approaching these people in the first
place. If I'd known that they were leaving soon, I wouldn't have bothered.

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the
mandate/authority to do so.

They're telling you precisely what I've said - that your attempts to take
action are in the wrong place. Just because they listened to you doesn't
make them the right people to complain to. Kudos to them for listening,
but having done so doesn't actually make them responsible.

You want the last word? You've got it.

Sylvain.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:00:40 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

---8---

Er, EXCUSE ME, shouldn't that be "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WITH MENTAL
HEALTH PROBLEMS"????

Well! How did you guess! Aren't you clever!
As a matter of fact, I've suffered from a _severe_ social anxiety disorder
for more than 50 years. This has prevented me from having any worthwhile
social life, friends, holidays, etc...
It's made my life at work much more difficult. I eventually had a nervous
breakdown.
In spite of that; I'm _probably_ a saner, more decent, more sensible, more
reasonable person than you are (or ever will be).

MORON!!!

Sylvain.

Really.