Old September 30th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

On 2006-09-30 22:14:36 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I was talking to some Italians this week and they wanted to know how
far north the Romans had gone in Britain. I explained that they had
never made a serious success in Scotland and that possibly this was due
to the Glaswegian habit of deep frying pizza.
They took a lot of convincing that anyone could possibly do this.

They might have taken even more convincing if you told them that most
Scottish chippies deep-frying aforementioned pizze are actually owned
and run by their fellow countrymen.

Owain

Yes but they were probably excommunicated a long time ago for making
and drinking cappucino after 10am, another heathen habit.

Old September 30th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sylvain VAN DER
WALDE writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Sylvain VAN DER
WALDE writes
Hello all.

The occupiers of the next door house (it's been sold some months ago to a
property investment company, and is awaiting refurbishment) have been
leaving many bags of rubbish in the area that used to be the front garden.
I did speak to them once before about it; and also put a note through
their
letter box a couple of days ago, because there was a bad smell coming from
it. Anyway, those bags of rubbish are still there.
P.S. They have a large van, and could easily take them to the nearest
dump,
_as they have done previously_.

To come to the crux of the matter:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private
residence,
and not a council-owned one.

I bet you forgot to tell them about the rats ...

worked for me

I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

Maybe it's better a little white lie now than an unpleasant truth in due
course

--
geoff
Old September 30th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

Catch a rat, and put it there and take a photo.

Where would he catch a rat then? Ah, perhaps next door...

Anywhere. Its been estimated that 99.99% of the UK population live
within 10 meters of a rat.

Juts get a cage trap.

Old October 1st 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

Not even "Human rights gone crazy". Do you think the situation would
have been any different say 40 years ago?

I believe that it would have been very different (I'm 71). The police and
fire brigade were more amenable, as far as I can remember.

Amenable to you sticking your nose in your neighbour's business?

You may disagree - but the fire dept told you it wasn't their problem.
Which it isn't. Environmental health maybe, but expecting the fire
brigade to be dustmen is just wrong. What next - get the ambulance round
to dig your garden?

I don't think that you've read my messages with sufficient
care/attention.
I've made it quite clear that I asked the fire brigade to get the
occupiers to remove their bags of rubbish, as I believed that they
presented a fire hazard. Something that they stated they couldn't do.
They didn't say that it wasn't their problem; just that they weren't able
to help me. It seems that you can do what you like on your own property,
_regardless_ of possible fire risk and/or health hazard.

If it was a genuine fire risk, they'd have done something - eg containers
of petrol sloshing around. Bags of rubbish left outside aren't anything
like the sort of risk they want to worry about.

I can think of rather higher risks which occur entirely normally, and
nobody tries to prevent them.

We live in a very lax and uncaring society. "Law and order" is a meaningless
phrase; and where else do you get hospitals which kill their patients
through lack of proper _basic_hygiene (I find it easier to accept paying
nearly 90.00 a month for budget medical insurance, as it means that I won't
have to go to an NHS hospital).

Who would I trust to make a decision regarding such a risk : the fire
brigade, or a nosey neighbour who's actually just using it as an excuse to
try and get rid of an eyesore?

You are trying _too hard_ to disagree with everything that I say. _I am not
a nosey neighbour_. I see that rubbish when I go through the front gate, and
when I look out of my front room window. I can't avoid seeing it.

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of one's
imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross lack of
consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the mandate/authority
to do so.

Sylvain.

Your attempts to
blame this on 'political correctness' and 'human rights' are also wildly
misplaced. It's nothing to do with your Daily Mail-type worries - it's far
simpler: there is not the justification for them to take the action you
desire.

clive

Old October 1st 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:00:40 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

---8---

Er, EXCUSE ME, shouldn't that be "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WITH MENTAL
HEALTH PROBLEMS"????

Really.
Old October 2nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound
pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of
one's imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross lack
of consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

In which case why did you contact the fire brigade? What do you think their
job is : mediating disputes between neighbours, or fire and rescue related
activities? Your actions so far indicate that you believed the former is
part of their job - do you still believe that?

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the
mandate/authority to do so.

They're telling you precisely what I've said - that your attempts to take
action are in the wrong place. Just because they listened to you doesn't
make them the right people to complain to. Kudos to them for listening, but
having done so doesn't actually make them responsible.

clive

Old October 2nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound
pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of
one's imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross
lack of consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

In which case why did you contact the fire brigade? What do you think
their job is : mediating disputes between neighbours, or fire and rescue
related activities? Your actions so far indicate that you believed the
former is part of their job - do you still believe that?

Dear! Oh dear! How many times do I have to repeat myself.
I contacted the fire brigade in the hope that they could apply some pressure
on my neighbours to get them to remove their bags of rubbish. That's all.
UPDATE: My neighbours appear to have gone, leaving behind even more rubbish.
I think that this could be due to the new requirement for landlords to
register for fire risk assessment.
It seems that I was wasting my time in approaching these people in the first
place. If I'd known that they were leaving soon, I wouldn't have bothered.

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the
mandate/authority to do so.

They're telling you precisely what I've said - that your attempts to take
action are in the wrong place. Just because they listened to you doesn't
make them the right people to complain to. Kudos to them for listening,
but having done so doesn't actually make them responsible.

You want the last word? You've got it.

Sylvain.

clive

Old October 2nd 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:00:40 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

---8---

Er, EXCUSE ME, shouldn't that be "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WITH MENTAL
HEALTH PROBLEMS"????

Well! How did you guess! Aren't you clever!
As a matter of fact, I've suffered from a _severe_ social anxiety disorder
for more than 50 years. This has prevented me from having any worthwhile
social life, friends, holidays, etc...
It's made my life at work much more difficult. I eventually had a nervous
breakdown.
In spite of that; I'm _probably_ a saner, more decent, more sensible, more
reasonable person than you are (or ever will be).

MORON!!!

Sylvain.

Really.