Old September 30th 06, 02:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

Owain wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Guy King wrote:

report sightings of *rats*

That's no way to talk about the neighbours.

OH yes it is...

Bit early for panto isn't it?

Oh no its not!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old September 30th 06, 02:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness gone
mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses that phrase
without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

clive

Old September 30th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
On a similar note, I live next door to what can only be described as
"Mr Trebus no2" very overgrown garden strewn with rubbish, and the
house is in a state of disrepair. I might sound a bit snobbish but it
looks very bad next to our house (semi)
I have heard in the dim and distant past that there is such a thing as
a local council order to keep houses in a certain state of repair,
anyone know of it?

If the property is dilapidated to the point of uninhabitability or
structural instability they can serve a compulsory repair notice.

No point in talking to the guy, as the wheel is turning but the
hamster is long dead!! and he is usually ****ed out of his mind half
the time.

Social work? ASBO? Petrol bomb?

Window pane blew out four months ago and he got round to
replacing it last week!! Lucky I'm not thinking of selling as it would
probably knock a few thou off.

You /might/ have a claim against him for the reduction in value to your
property, especially if he's the other half of your semi.

Owain

I dont think its structuraly unsafe, there are a fair few slates
missing off the roof which in my opinion need repacing or damage could
be done to the timbers, knowing my luck he'll get a full re roofing
grant and I've been chasing one for five years, F'ing Anglesey council
!! corruption abounds

Old September 30th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sairey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private
residence,
and not a council-owned one.

This is literally rubbish. Phone the local Environmental Health and
tell them you wish to report a statutory nuisance caused by an
accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/27...sion=1&lang=_e

Sairey

Thanks. I will certainly get in touch with that department.

Sylvain.

Old September 30th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Sylvain VAN DER
WALDE writes
Hello all.

The occupiers of the next door house (it's been sold some months ago to a
property investment company, and is awaiting refurbishment) have been
leaving many bags of rubbish in the area that used to be the front garden.
I did speak to them once before about it; and also put a note through
their
letter box a couple of days ago, because there was a bad smell coming from
it. Anyway, those bags of rubbish are still there.
P.S. They have a large van, and could easily take them to the nearest
dump,
_as they have done previously_.

To come to the crux of the matter:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private
residence,
and not a council-owned one.

I bet you forgot to tell them about the rats ...

worked for me

I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

Sylvain.
--
geoff

Old September 30th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness gone
mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses that
phrase without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

I could have said "Human rights gone crazy" I suppose, or something similar.
I was very surprised that the local authorities seemed unable to help me
sort out this matter. The fire brigade spokesman admitted that "their hands
were tied", and that people could do what they liked on their own property,
even if they caused a fire risk.

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front garden
space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the house. I
admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of this eyesore
(yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my approaches to the
local council and fire department were perfectly _valid_.

Sylvain.

clive

Old September 30th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains
these words:

I did mention that the rubbish was smelling, and that it might _attract_
rats. I'm an honest person, and would only lie if absolutely necessary.

So - no standing for public office for you, then.

--
Skipweasel
Old September 30th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:56:48 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

[...]

Try the local paper?

Old September 30th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front
garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the
house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of
this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my
approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly
_valid_.

You may misagree, but it didn't actually get you anywhere, did it...?

Old September 30th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"raden" wrote in message
[...]

Catch a rat, and put it there and take a photo.

Sylvain.
--
geoff