Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting mirror wardrobe door

We have two large bedroom wardrobes with old sliding mirror doors (these
easily predate our ownership - must be 20+ years old?). I've just
removed the wardrobe in one room but have retained the doors, because in
the other room, the mirrors in two of the doors are cracked... these are
shorter (same width) than the two I've just de-installed, so I thought
wouldn't it be a good idea to chop the two spare big ones down to size,
to replace the cracked ones?

Before I start, I'm wondering how feasible this is likely to be? Will
this be toughened glass, which will presuambly mean that score'n snap
won't work? Or does the fact that two doors have managed to have been
cracked (due to visiting nephews slamming them AFAIK!), and the fact
that they have some sort of plastic mesh reinforcement glued to the
back, mean that they are just normal glass?

So, once I'd got the glass out of the frames, I was going to try score'n
snapping them using a glass cutting wheel thing - is that right? These
are big panes, about 2.2m x 1.2m.

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Probably easiest to just lay it flat on the carpet for cutting.
Lubricate the cutting wheel by dipping in white spirit or meths. Then
stand the glass on edge and slit the plastic with a knife.

IME it's when the score isn't continuous that the glass won't snap
easily, and that's usually due to excess pressure, which in turn is due
to anxiety about getting a continuous score etc etc.