DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Recommendations for new electric drill please (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/176204-recommendations-new-electric-drill-please.html)

Rocky September 17th 06 01:45 PM

Recommendations for new electric drill please

My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also occasionally
used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min 1/2" (13mm)
Looking for quality & reliability.
Thanks

Nick.

The3rd Earl Of Derby September 17th 06 01:55 PM

Rocky wrote:
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min
1/2" (13mm) Looking for quality & reliability.
Thanks

Nick.

You missed the importent question...how much you willing to shell out?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Rocky September 17th 06 02:01 PM

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Rocky wrote:
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min
1/2" (13mm) Looking for quality & reliability.
Thanks

Nick.

You missed the importent question...how much you willing to shell out?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

That I don't know. I imagine 'mid-range', whatever that might be.

Nick.

Piers James September 17th 06 02:28 PM

Recommendations for new electric drill please

mid-range still doesn't really help, since people's opinions on mid-range
differ!! Anyway I have the Bosch GSB20-2RE
(http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat...SB20-2RE&ID=80)
- comes with a 3 year warranty and is the quality you would expect from the
Bosch Professional range. I would say this meets your requirements.

[email protected] September 17th 06 02:41 PM

Rocky wrote:

My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also occasionally
used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min 1/2" (13mm)
Looking for quality & reliability.
Thanks

Nick.

there are several midrange quality brands to choose from, eg bosch,
skil, and various others.

I presume you dont want an SDS. These things turn granite into butter,
and chisel, lift tiles, chase and so on, but I wouldnt want to use mine
as a gneral purpose drill, its too big and heavy, the SDS bits are
pricey, and the SDS chuck doesnt take anything but SDS bits.

NT

John Rumm September 17th 06 02:49 PM

Rocky wrote:

My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also occasionally
used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min 1/2" (13mm)
Looking for quality & reliability.

The last bit of your requiremnt list would suggest something from one of
the "pro" ranges of tools (Blue bodied Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, or
possibly a grey bodied own brand from Wickes (usually the OEM is someone
credible).

First decide if having a SDS drill will be of use to you. Background he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drill.htm
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice September 17th 06 03:29 PM

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:45:25 +0100, Rocky wrote:

Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc.

Some form of SDS, makes drilling in things that would laugh at a hammer
drill a breeze and softer materials a POP. If you do get and SDS make
sure it has both hammer and rotation stop, you then have a little kango
for breaking or chiseling, lot less effort than a lump hammer and cold
chisel.

Looking for quality & reliability.

I've got Bosch PBH 2200 RE, detiled a kitchen, chased grooves for cables,
drill holes in stone up to 20mm dia and 18" deep (with the rotation the
wrong way, I wondered why it was taking longer than normal and the amount
of dust emerging wasn't as much as I expected, thought the dust was going
down the pilot hole...)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7105159.htm

Don't think I paid quite that much but it was a year or three back.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

TonyK September 17th 06 04:55 PM

(http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat...GSB20-2RE&ID=8

Rocky wrote:
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min
1/2" (13mm) Looking for quality & reliability.
Thanks

Nick.

You missed the importent question...how much you willing to shell out?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

That I don't know. I imagine 'mid-range', whatever that might be.

Nick.

Got the same one and the equivalent in SDS. Paired together they have
fittted more kitchens and bathrooms and renovated more houses than I care to
remember. Not bad for a few hundred quid and certainly good enought for
domestic and light pro use.

Dave Plowman (News) September 17th 06 06:15 PM

Recommendations for new electric drill please

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :(( I've not
kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement. Would prefer mains voltage as opposed
to cordless. Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc.
Also occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be
min 1/2" (13mm) Looking for quality & reliability.

For masonry you can't beat an SDS, so I'd say get a cheap one of those
*and* a basic non hammer mains drill. You should be able to get the pair
for 60 quid. Only fly in the ointment might be if you want a screwdriving
facility with the mains drill, as I'd guess these are more expensive.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Medway Handyman September 17th 06 10:54 PM

Rocky wrote:
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min
1/2" (13mm) Looking for quality & reliability.

Have a look in Wickes. Black range is good value for DIY, Grey range is
heavy duty.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

[email protected] September 17th 06 11:05 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:45:25 +0100, Rocky wrote:

Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc.

Some form of SDS, makes drilling in things that would laugh at a hammer
drill a breeze and softer materials a POP. If you do get and SDS make
sure it has both hammer and rotation stop, you then have a little kango
for breaking or chiseling, lot less effort than a lump hammer and cold
chisel.

also be sure to get a 2kg one, not a cheaper 5kg, else your arms can
drop off halfway thru the job.

NT

Just Another DIY Fan September 18th 06 02:38 PM

Rocky wrote:
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((

I wouldn't touch anything recent from Black and Decker.

The days of B+D being reliable are long gone. ALL
of their stuff now is appalling rubbish.

Bosch tools seem as good as any. My Bosch drill and saw are
5 years old and still going strong.

Rocky September 18th 06 07:35 PM

"Rocky" wrote in message
My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :((
I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate
recommendations for a replacement.
Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also
occasionally
used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min 1/2" (13mm)
Looking for quality & reliability.
Thanks

Nick.

Many thanks for all the hints, tips, suggestions & links.
I now have a better idea of what I'm looking for and where to find it.
Nick.

Doctor Drivel September 18th 06 08:21 PM

Recommendations for new electric drill please

"Piers James" wrote in message
mid-range still doesn't really help, since people's opinions on mid-range
differ!! Anyway I have the Bosch GSB20-2RE
(http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat...SB20-2RE&ID=80)
- comes with a 3 year warranty and is the quality you would expect from
the Bosch Professional range. I would say this meets your requirements.

You use SDS for masonry not one of those.

Weatherlawyer September 18th 06 08:27 PM

Recommendations for new electric drill please

Rocky wrote:

I would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless.
Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also occasionally
used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min 1/2" (13mm)
Looking for quality & reliability.

AIH, IJHTK someone with a pristine DeWalt 240V that you might get for a
reasonable price. No use to me, or I would have snapped it months back.
I don't know if it is still available.

E-mail me.

PS:
Anyone want an Hitachi 240V router. It looks like it's had hard use but
I got it off a plasterer so the detritus is just off his kit. I have
used it a few times but not heavily.